whats the best engine for the savage ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoraduntov

Whats the best overall engine for the savage ?

Is this a poll or inquiry? Not tryin to be mean or anything, but there are already dozens of thread on here askin the same question. Out of the few motors I've run, none are high end, my favorite would be the axial 28 spec1's that Ii have now. My next motor is either gonna be a modded picco or modded novarossi.

well I have to chime in on this one ... I have found most engines to be comparable to each other.... some of the cheaper ones can be a lil bit different but by and large any good engine out there is pretty capable in most hobbiest hands..... I have owned OS. Axial, SH, Tamiya, Force, and prolly a couple i forgot..... thing is that most average RC drivers aint gonna notice a difference between a full modded vs a stock type engine in their rig.... just get a good one from the start and save some headaches down the road.... I have an axial .32 in my personal savage and I think it is a good runnin easy to tune engine for the most part. in my XTM MMT I just installed a Force .32 into it and it is also a sweet runnin engine....... only ones I stay away from are the losi engines, I seem to always have trouble tuning them engines for some reason, I have to believe it is the engine at fault due to my years of tuning experience but could also be me I suppose......either way get a good one from the start and be happy tuning it for your needs.......

If you don't want to pay to much i say axial 28 with a good tune and geared right you will have a hard time keeping the front tires down or if you want a little more pricey motor i would say lrp .28

I had an LRP .28 spec 3 in a Losi Aftershock and it was a beast and it was easy to tune. My second pick would be an OS .30, I ran one in a Savage SS, this was the easiest engine to tune and keep tuned I have ever owned but the LRP had little more pep IMO.

Heres a look at the power of the LRP in a very heavy truck...This is an old video, I'm filming with one hand and driving with the other so go easy on me lol

I had an lrp .28 spec 3. It wouldn't tune to save my life even had to send it to lrp and still no go might have just got a bad one it happens. But bought a Picco .28 and been loving it ever since way easier to tune for me and I'm no expert but I can at least get the Picco to start and drive it with out it getting over heated. So I say the Picco .28.

I've got an axial .28 rr; it's my first "upgrade" engine so I really don't have anything to compare to other then the original mill (an HPI S-25)! But it'll drag my buddies HPI .28 H.O.

well over the years i have ran a few different engines and i have to say my picco is my fav.

Is this a poll or inquiry? Not tryin to be mean or anything, but there are already dozens of thread on here askin the same question. Out of the few motors I've run, none are high end, my favorite would be the axial 28 spec1s that Ii have now. My next motor is either gonna be a modded picco or modded novarossi.
I don't suppose you have the part number for the head shim gaskets for this engine?? I have to replace mine and cant seem to track the gaskets anywhere?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Lrp .28 is a no brainer....super easy to tune and has great pop

I just got a new LRP 32 in a deal, was thinking of replacing my LRP 28 with it.

I probably ought to just keep quiet not having experience with any other engines, but for what it's worth as a novice nitro junkie the Dynamite Mach 28 in my Savage 25 is easy to start/tune/run, makes a lot of power, and eats my friend's O.S. Max 3.0 powered Losi Eight for lunch without trying.
I also love the deep, growly sound of the Mach 28 compared to his high pitched buzz sounding O.S. 3.0

Just my $0.02

May not even be worth that much...:D

Hey FullThrottle, your 2 cents is worth a buck here (maybe). It's great to hear about the different engines everyone is using in their trucks. Has anyone heard the sound of the 4-stroke engines used in some of the cars on YouTube? Has anyone put one in their Savage? That's one I hope to try in the future.

I find it wierd that no oe seems to like the HPI's. I could be wrong but isn't a 5.9 twice the displacement of a .28?
I have an Ofna 28 a HPI 4.6 and a HPI 5.9, maybe even a HPI 28 which I pulled the stupid cord off cuz it wouldn't start.
The Ofna seems to be an excellent engine.

Yeah, I don't know why people don't like the 5.9, I love mine!!! I believe that a lot of people don't know how to properly tune one, they do have a mid range screw that other engines don't have. You shouldn't mess with the mid range screw, just adjust the high and low range and you will be fine.

You are correct in assuming tuning is part of the issue with the 5.9s. Another depends on driving style. The 5.9 tends to have good bottom end torque, but alot less top end. And since many people tend to want their trucks to go as fast as possible the 5.9 is not as popular.

BTW rikkidy, the .28 is a 4.6. So no, the 5.9 is not even close to twice the size of the .28. There are two different means of measurement going on here.

I've only had the hpi 4.1 and the traxxas 3.3 in car but I've hade o.s.32 in my plane my buddy has a Hsp that he put a stock nova.bonito and it is super strong which he paid more 4 the motor than he did the truck and some of his buddies has the following 1 has a traxxas with a lrp not sure on the size but it a strong 1 also another has a team ass.mgt with a picco.28 again also strong but Richard swears that his Bonito is the smallest in size and also the strongest so I ordered a nova.28-7rt 2 put in my savage it's a modded version so I'm hoping 2 b the fastest and most powerful after i get it in Richards truck has a redcat 2 speed installed and the others came with 2 speed I believe.I haven't raced any of them with my savage as of yet cause of our work schedules but I know they all smoked my T-MAXX 3.3 AND I HAD EVEN GEARED IT 2 MAKE IT A LITTLE FASTER! So I guess 4 me I would have 2 say that novarossi the way 2 go, the Bonito seems 2 be easy 2 tune and holds tune rather good not sure if he just got lucky or if it's only the 1 nova. that is or if all nova ' s r easy tuned

I've only had the hpi 4.1 and the traxxas 3.3 in car but I've hade o.s.32 in my plane my buddy has a Hsp that he put a stock nova.bonito and it is super strong which he paid more 4 the motor than he did the truck and some of his buddies has the following 1 has a traxxas with a lrp not sure on the size but it a strong 1 also another has a team ass.mgt with a picco.28 again also strong but Richard swears that his Bonito is the smallest in size and also the strongest so I ordered a nova.28-7rt 2 put in my savage it's a modded version so I'm hoping 2 b the fastest and most powerful after i get it in Richards truck has a redcat 2 speed installed and the others came with 2 speed I believe.I haven't raced any of them with my savage as of yet cause of our work schedules but I know they all smoked my T-MAXX 3.3 AND I HAD EVEN GEARED IT 2 MAKE IT A LITTLE FASTER! So I guess 4 me I would have 2 say that novarossi the way 2 go, the Bonito seems 2 be easy 2 tune and holds tune rather good not sure if he just got lucky or if it's only the 1 nova. that is or if all nova ' s r easy tuned

Holy run on sentence Batman!!! My eyes are bleeding from trying to read that wall of text. lol

I am glad i am not the only one to notice, .I usually avoid posts like the ones above, makes my :eyes: BLEED and HURT.....

So can anyone explain the different engine sizing methods to me? Using the .28 to 5.9 I guess would be pretty unrealistic in equal comparisons

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back