What Motor is better?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavageSSBEAST

Axial .32 or XL SAVAGE K5.9 ENGINE MOTOR .36. I'm may be buying a new motor my k4.6 has been giving me problem's lately just want to know what is a good motor + a good upgrade.

I run the axial 32

its alot of lowend torque

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I have seen, the 5.9 is a pretty stout mill but seems like it may have a few issues, I would wait on that one for a while. The LRP is a very good choice with a very wide powerband. The .32's are also good but are more aimed at "monster trucking" lots of lower end grunt but not quite as strung out as the LRP.

ya to be honest i would say LRP for sure, as I'm running the twin to the lrp engine, the xtm 457 pro truck engine which is identical in looks and specs and man its a powerhouse and was really easy to tune, believe it or not i got it tuned really well at first and haven't touched the needles in months so they hold a tune really well to!! another engine i looked at was the surefire 32 which is also a pretty powerful little engine!!

I found one on eBay this is what the description says. You are bidding on an LRP Z.28 Spec 3 Truggy / XTM 4 engine ***excellent*** The carb and case are XTM and the Piston, Sleeve, Rod, Crank, Head, and button are LRP, so pretty much you are getting the LRP punch, less than 1 gall thru!. Why would he have an XTM block for?

Mix and match rebuild... Stay away from it! A speck 3 truggy is no good for a savage it needs a starter box. you want the spec 3 pull start. Its very reliable and much better than the HPI mills. your looking at around 160 ish New in box

I picked one up from Hobby Town by my house for $139 after using some coupons that I had laying around. Came to $152 after Washington taking its cut of the pie. It was one heck of a deal, I just had to wait for their supplier to get them in stock. It should be in today... I can't wait. I have to thank my brother in law for the coupons saved me a bundle.

I picked one up from Hobby Town by my house for $139 after using some coupons that I had laying around. Came to $152 after Washington taking its cut of the pie. It was one heck of a deal, I just had to wait for their supplier to get them in stock. It should be in today... I can't wait. I have to thank my brother in law for the coupons saved me a bundle.

Good Job! lets us know how it works for you.

I just picked it up, I will probably break it in on Saturday. I should get the LRP installed Friday. I have been waiting for Hobby Town to get the darn thing in stock, so I could get the killer deal. While waiting I have been using an old S-25, man that is one gutless engine. It did serve its purpose.

I can't wait to get the LRP broken it, it is supposed to scream. I originally was going to go with an AXIAL 28, but after reading all the problems, saving $50 didn't seem like that wise of a decision. I am mating the LRP up to the THS pipe for the savage. I am going to be running 47/17 gearing, so I will see how that works, it might get changed at a later date.

All good choices as far as I can see! I have one that I run 47/19 on.I have run it with a BUKU and a 086 so far. The THS is a good pipe from what I have heard. What Run in method are you using? I heat cycled mind. Shoot lol I just realized this is SS's thread lol anyways formiko keep us posted. Maybe start a thread in the members projects section... https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54

SavageSSBEAST - How have you made out? Get a mill yet?

Didn't find one yet i found a pretty cheap axial .32. Id rather get the LRP but can't find any cheap. How good are the axial motors? and do they have lot's of power or at least me then my k?

From E bay:
Like New Axial 32Spec 1s (green).

Motor was broke in using heat cycle method, then was put in my Hellfire SS and run for two tanks taking it easy in my back yard then motor was pulled out and put on shelf for a spare. Motor has a lot of bottom end power. Very clean and in excellent condition. Never put back in Hellfire because i like the axial 28 motor that i have been running. I think this motor would be better suited to a monster truck, Savage or something like that. Great motor for wheelies. Motor has 8.5mm carb restrictor installed, can be removed for full 9mm carb venturi, and more top end power. No pull start. If you use buy it now I will throw in a used but in perfect working order Roto-Start.

I made that post smaller for ya> It was fine as it was so don't worry about it!

I'm not keen on the mills bigger than .28. I like the balance of power/rpm and how quick they spool up with .28's Its all preference and Id never push a mill on anyone But Idk how the .32 preforms. This is just to give you my answer/opinion

Thanks! the axial .32 has only like 4 more hours left of bidding on it. There no bid's on it's only 75$ rite now that could change. There is also a nice LRP .28 with only 1 day and 8 hours of bidding left it's only 10$ rite now that could also change buy tomorrow. If the axial does get bidded on by some one else for more then i want to spend ill have to try and get the lrp. But if i can get the axial for cheap that would be nice

Thanks! the axial .32 has only like 4 more hours left of bidding on it. There no bid's on it's only 75$ rite now that could change. There is also a nice LRP .28 with only 1 day and 8 hours of bidding left it's only 10$ rite now that could also change buy tomorrow. If the axial does get bidded on by some one else for more then i want to spend ill have to try and get the lrp. But if i can get the axial for cheap that would be nice

No doubt! I got a K5.9 for cheep due to a kid that was a noob and thought the Piston sticking at TDC was a defect... Brand new 75 bucks complete with clutch air filter HD mount and pipe. Would have been in the 60's but Sunken metal was trying to steel it from me. Got to love E bay

Good Luck!

I'm no expert by any means but with advice from this forum I picked up the LRP to replace my HPI 25 and it's a ripper. I had the gearing on the 25 at 15/52 for riding wheelies and such and I couldn't keep the front end on the ground with the LRP. ANY touch of the throttle would flip it over backwards. It's a beast. And that's without a decent pipe.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back