Want a tighter turn radius? Here's How!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have done this to two of my trucks and i have to beat on them really hard to break them. They hold up as well as a stock un-modded part IMO

i will most definetly be doing this, ive been looking for a way to get some radius back from my locked rear..

Here's what I installed to make the turning radius a little tighter. It's been talked about before, but there were no details given.

I haven't trimmed my plastic pieces yet, but I did install the aluminum servo horn in a longer length.

Hangar 9 #HAN3578. It was $11, but all the LHS had so I went with it. I have an Airtronics servo so it had the correct number of teeth (23t).

The extra throw allowed me to get to the *locks* without opening the servo saver and with EPA in the 50's (less than half available adjustment).

DSCF4819.jpg

I have to give props to both larsenracing and fxstrongside for the hub carrier mod pics.:resp: The mod was painless and was a complete success. Well worth the bench time. The truck handles so much better now. Thanks again for the info.

Thanks eatvage. We appreciate it and agree with you it is a worth while mod.

I wanted to note on go-to's comment with a longer horn. With a longer horn you will loose torque to your wheels. If you have a radio that can adjust END POINTS you want to stay near 100% meaning you need to find the correct horn to give full stroke but still be near 100% this giving you the tight turn radios but also keeping your servo power. Hard to explain in words. If you are running a over kill servo meaning anything over 225oz you can do what you want with it because it will have plenty of power to turn your wheels.

If you have no EPA adjustably a longer servo horn will give you more thought though.

Quick question, will doing this Mod possibly burn out your steering servo if I don't change the servo horn and adjust the servo saver? Sorry for the stupid question, however I just had a new Hitec servo burn out and the only recent mod I've done was for the steering.

This will not harm the servo at all unless you can get it to over stroke. Most digital radios will allow you to add 20% stroke either way to the servo and they are still fine. If fore some reason you get it further than that then yes it could go past its limits but should still be fine. There are stops in the case for this however most strong servos will push right past them or strip gears but you should be able to go to the 120% easily before anything happens.

Moral of the story this will not hurt your servo. Your servo must have been a freak deal.

I haven't tried this mod, but when i try to turn the steering it seems like the steering turnbuckles will hit the shock if it turns anymore. Anyone have this problem? i see a few of you guys have tried this with no issue.

I haven't tried this mod, but when i try to turn the steering it seems like the steering turnbuckles will hit the shock if it turns anymore. Anyone have this problem? i see a few of you guys have tried this with no issue.

my steering at full stroke are 5mm away from the shock ..

hmmm, will have another look when i get home. i might take a quick pic aswell.
Thanks for a quick reply xl

np just make sure not to take off a lot of material and you should be find.. in the end when you think your done hook every thing back up and let the servo do the work, then you will see if it hits or not ..

Members online

Back