Want a tighter turn radius? Here's How!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larsenracing

Manufacturer
All right, I looked around and really didn't fine anything on a how to about this so i'll write one up. If you got questions please feel free to ask.

I guess the tools needed are what ever you want. I use a very sharp knife but with this method you need to be very carefull as you don't want to be missing any flangies at the end of this process. Another great tool which may be better is a Dremal with a small sanding wheel maybe 1/4" this method may do a prettier job. Anyhow on to what counts.

I have linked a picture below with numbers on it this pict shows where you need to trim to allow for more clearance. I have a note below describing what to look for.

1.Trim this edge off so the shaft (round cylinder on Hub) has clearance for maximum turn.

2. There is a little square bump stop here which must be removed so it is flush with the rest of the hub carier.

3. You must take the radius out of this piece(Hub) for clearance. (It doesn't need to be compleatly removed but the majority does)

4 & 5. You need to remove this edge some to allow clearance expecial where the #4 is.

Next step do this in all 4 locations on both sides of the Hub and to both sides of the truck.

You can see where you are if you turn the Hub pieces back and forth and make sure you have enought clearance every where.

Picture003.jpg

Just another pict of it.
Picture004.jpg

Threw this process you could add a longer servo horn to your servo and adjust the end points on your steering servo if you have digital remote which will alow you to go to 125% of the servo stroke.

You may also need to do some trimming on the Steering bell crank for maximum turn radious. There are 2 spots on it which need to be trimmed. This is the part that link the tires togather.

Hope this information helps.

great info there!! especially if someone was building a racer and really would benefit from a tighter turning radius!! heres some reps for your effort!!!!

Thanks man. I did if for my basher as I put an extended chassis on it and wanted a tight turn radious back. Now i am building a racer which is the one pictured and though id do a write up since there was nothing on the forum on it.

ya i guess the ext chassis would cut down on your steering a bit wouldnt it? but i love the way the ext chassis looks!!

its not just for racers in did it last year on both my bashers. One is extended and the other is stock lenght. their is a huge difference even when on the throttle while turning. helps to line up them last min. jumps if you know what i mean. also helps to dodge the trees that before i hit and thought if i could have just turned alittle bit tighter. LOL Just my two cents

That is a good thing to do, I did that a few yrs back when I was racing, it really helped with my turning radious and cornering, and now that I have the extended chassis should help out plus I did it to the rear steering, should turn on a dime, I don't think it will be to much of a problem in durt but on pavement might be a little tricky till I get used to it, here is a couple of pis on how I did it to mine,.,.

http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd189/jaybird_41/?action=view&current=Picture231.jpg
http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd189/jaybird_41/?action=view&current=Picture230.jpg
http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd189/jaybird_41/?action=view&current=Picture229.jpg
http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd189/jaybird_41/?action=view&current=Picture228.jpg

Sounds like a good idea, I'm gonna have to get this done to my truck.

It's such a great mod. Your not weakening the carriers and hubs AT ALL and you gain a much tighter turn radius.

Thanks Larsen I Needed That. I Will Be Doing It Shortly I Will Get With You If I Have Any Questions.

I hear you though, life keeps moving along and things get put on the back burner.

Not so much put on the back burner, more like moved to side on the counter to cool. Been busy gettin projects done around my sis's house and workin on the monster buggy and fixin the fusion 28. The savvy is next on my list.

Thanks for posting Jason, I was just thnking about looking into this, Mine turns better/tighter to the left than to the right. I guess I have some adjustments to make and will do this while I am in there.

great wright up jason going to have to do that to mine

take care in doing this mod, I did it to one of my savys last summer.

I took off too much material and the front dogbone,s would come out too far

and lock up steering under hard jumping and turning at same time.

I didnt notice what had happen at first and the servo stripped out trying to turn the locked steering.

Yes like Crash stated you do need to pay attention to the dog bone and the buy engagement. I haven't had this trouble on my savage but did have some issues with my MLST when the servo saver was junk and I bent seceral doggies whale trying to figgure out what was going on.

When I do this will it be necessary to get a longer servo horn or will the stock ones work?

Thanks

You will more than likely need a longer horn to get full stroke unless you have a computer radio and can add the 25% further Servo stroke. I think I am running a aluminum 1 1/4" long servo horn and just adjust the steering throw on the radio.

keep in mind this longer horn also adds some tq for turning the wheels.

I know this is probably a stupid question:

I notice I have a different Hub then in the picture. I was wondering is it still possible to do it on the Savage X style of hub. And if so, does anybody have a picture of there hub mod with the Savage X style hubs. If they could post that I would really appreciate it.

Good stuff here man .. How much weaker does this make the parts ?

Latest posts

Members online

Back