too lean? too rich?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stigi23

After doing wots it sound like the engine coughs or something before it goes to normal idle. Ill see and try if i can upload a video and you guys can tell by looks if its to rich or lean. When car is idleing, under the exhaust it doesnt take very long before i get a big wet spot with oil/fuel. that comes from bein too rich? but if i go any leaner i get temps to 300degrees after half tank. Ive heard the K5.9 run a little hotter than the rest, is it safe to run the engine at 300degrees? That being said my needles are almost flush, HSN 1turn in and LSN is screwed out 1turn from flush. Maybe i got an airleak somewhere, you use green slime on screws sealing airleaks?

took a picture of the piston on the K5.9, can you tell if it have been running rich or lean? decided to check the engine for airleaks and found one on the pinch bolt to the carb. Took of the carb found out the o-ring on the bottom was cleaved and since this is the first time I'm taking off the carb its not me, so it must be from assembly at the HPI factory. Now i have to wait for the green slime and new o-rings. Could this be the reason the engine is raising temps to 300?
Foto0155.jpg

The brownish color points to a lean condition if the engine has only a few tanks.

Interesting about the bottom o-ring, as mine is exactly like yours. And today I just received a brand new carb from HPI and -guess what- the o'ring is missing a slice too. Really weird.

i have run 1gallon on the motor so far. Whats the point of the O-ring if it isnt complete? are they supposed to be like that then?

Go for purenitro's tuning procedure, you can't go wrong with that.

I think the o-ring is machine assembled... and the machine is obviously defective. I'll be in touch with HPI about that.

Anyway, you can't trust on o-rings a lot. Seal your engine with some high temperature RTV (backplate, carb, carb bolt, mid range needle) and green slime (high and low needles).

let me know what you find out:) I'm waiting for some shock oil, BBs, RTV and green slime to come in the mail so i can seal it up and play with it again.

Latest posts

Members online

Back