Temp/Lean issue.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savagepro96

Hey guys.. New to the form been looking around for a while.. But anyways I have been having this problem with my savage x4.6 lately.. Almost every time after 10mins of running it Overheats to about 290 F. It is not to lean there is still is a Perfect stream of blue smoke. O and when i put my Exhaust Deflector on it even Over heats more to like 300F. I am kinda new to this stuff but I am learning. I am thinking maby Air leak?.. But thanks for reading and hope you guys can help.

where are you taking your temp readings? what fuel and plug? is it sealed or not?

Fuel is HPI 20% 14%oil. Plug is Stock the one that came with the savage.(sorry don't know what one) And i am taking the reading's Above the Glowplug. The Cooling head or what ever it is called.

It is not to lean there is still is a Perfect stream of blue smoke. O and when i put my Exhaust Deflector on it even Over heats more to like 300F. I am kinda new to this stuff but I am learning. I am thinking maby Air leak?.. But thanks for reading and hope you guys can help.

does it sound lean? I'm thinkin if your bangin 290-300 youd hear it. compare the sound of your mill at these temps to the mill in the vid https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8833

also, double-check your temp gun for accuracy. bank tried to throw mine in the woods last weekend. :)

does it sound lean? I'm thinkin if your bangin 290-300 youd hear it. compare the sound of your mill at these temps to the mill in the vid https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8833

also, double-check your temp gun for accuracy. bank tried to throw mine in the woods last weekend. :)

I guess it sounds the same. My Friend also has a Savage x4.6 Mine and his sound the same. I have the HPI Temp gun I don't know how Accurate those are.

My friend also has the same savage his sounds the same as mine.But he doesn't have any Heat issues. I am using the HPI temp gun I don't know how accurate they are.

get a new plug and go with a cold one. i think the MC9 is what i get usually? someone might want to back me up on that one. switch fuels too, i just recently switched to odonells and i love it, way better then trinity monster.

fuel is a personal preference, I use trinity 25% and love it. you should be taking temp readings at the top of your block, if your reading temps of 300 on the cooling head your mill is running hotter than what your reading. put new batteries in your temp gun. bah flyers blew a 3-0 lead

Are you running with a body on or a body off? And what type of body are you running?[/Q

body is Normal Savage x 4.6 body. With a whole in the windshield.. But yea all this is with no body.

Last edited by a moderator:
fuel is a personal preference, I use trinity 25% and love it. you should be taking temp readings at the top of your block, if your reading temps of 300 on the cooling head your mill is running hotter than what your reading. put new batteries in your temp gun. bah flyers blew a 3-0 lead

Boo flyers! hahaha Temp gun is brand new! And ill try the top of the block!

Do you have any fuel leaks anywhere,you might need to seal the engine,also have you ever changed thr fuel lines,they will crack and leak air,also the seal on the fuel tank can go bad and cause a leak.maybe you could try running a lil bit richer also.hope that helps

check your clutch bell bearings and shoes they could be draging causing friction,and how about the seal on the fuel tank?

Latest posts

Members online

Back