Savage XL parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussiealf

Hi All,

Been a creepy stalker since I bought one about 5 years ago, I ran it and it worked well till I broke it and just didn't have time to get around to getting it running again.

Isolation ftw, have had a bit of down time to actually get back into my truck and give it some TLC.

However, from what i can see the Savage XL isn't a current model anymore? when did it get discontinued?

I have found things like the K5.9 gaskets are rarer than hens teeth, I have been looking across all states in Australia and then even UK, HK, US etc and it seems everyone is out of stock, I assume they aren't making the parts any more.

What are you guys finding is the best way to get parts?

Also back when I first bought it there was a poop tonne of options from integy etc, but I am finding there isn't alot available now. How much of the Savage X parts are compatable with the XL?

the XL is a longer chassis yeah? it has the 3 speed over the 2 speed but other than that the running gear is very similar yeah?

I know these are very generic questions but just trying to get my bearings on what is the best course of action cause if parts are only going to get harder I suppose I am probably better to get a replacement car. Part costs add up quick.

I am also noticing a general move away from nitro. Who here has gone say from a XL to a Flux or vice versa? or is there another option?

If I give my LHS here in England the part number if not showing in stock they can usually get that part in may take 1-2 weeks though! ??

Hi.

What parts do you need?

Hey mate, it is more of a general am I throwing good money after bad?

Have already spent $300 at frontline hobbies. As I refurb the diffs I have noticed some of the little flat washers are missing (one of the trucks were a second hand job).

the engine I need a rotostart and head gaskets, and potentially a new piston/sleeve set.

need the linkage set for the springs for the throttle and exhaust.

the exhaust gasket is also needed but can't seem to find that in stock anywhere either?

bearings I'm pretty sure I can just get from allied bearings. I need a 2 sets of dogs ones for the diff to wheels. Ideally another screw kit would be good. Trying to find the best place to buy a body for the savage xl as well.

so just wondering if I'm better off starting over with a new platform and if I need to seriously look at electric over nitro as it just seems to be harder to get nitros.

Hi.

If you need that much parts for your engine I would throw it away. The 5.9 is not worth restoring. LRP .32 spec4 are pretty cheap on ebay, pullstart versions so no rotostart parts needed. I would buy 1-2 pullstarts and few one way bearings as well for spares.
If your restoring diffs, the only right way to go is HSF299X. (Hot racing diff set)
As i understand you need diff shims? HPI part # Z892 10x12x0.2 & Z877 8x10x0.2. These don't need to be by HPI, these are just shims.
Exhaust gaskets is pretty difficult to get for those engine. Regular (standard) .21 size is just few mm too small and doesnt work the greatest but you get a new one with new engine.
If you need new linkage then upgrade it. You can google "savage ofna linkage mod", but ofna is gone, you need to use other bits.
I just recently did it with fastrax linkage set:
https://www.fastrax-rc.com/index.php?_route_=fastrax-preassembled-throttlebrake-linkage-set-black
You need one longer connecting rod.
The body doesnt have to be from HPI. Any around 470 - 500mm body would work I guess.

Look on eBay. You can find parts there all the time. Not everything but a lot. As far as nitro being fazed out, it is and it’s sad but it’s our reality. While electric is fast and easy, I always stick with nitro. Smell, noise, tuning. It’s more of a hobby to me then just plugging in a couple batteries and that’s it. I’m one of the few that only play with nitro and when I see parts that are scarce and needed regularly I grab them. I take care of my stuff and it lasts. I don’t go out and kill the savages like I used to bash.

Ayeeeeee fellow Aussie on the forum!!! ??

I use hobbies direct for parts mainly. Also use rc4me.us but they are a US store so you’ll end up paying a bit more after the current conversion.
I also use AliExpress a lot because nylon parts are so cheap on there. The only issue is delivery times can be a pain. Just search “hpi savage” on AliExpress and see how many parts there have on there.

What parts are you looking for?

I have also converted my XL to flux. Only because I’d burnt the motor I had at the time and by then I was looking at flux conversions, it was the perfect opportunity. I tend to break parts more often now that’s it’s electric which is a bit annoying. But the instant torque and power of flux is amazing. I can give you some pointers if you’re looking at doing the same ?

Look on eBay. You can find parts there all the time. Not everything but a lot. As far as nitro being fazed out, it is and it’s sad but it’s our reality. While electric is fast and easy, I always stick with nitro. Smell, noise, tuning. It’s more of a hobby to me then just plugging in a couple batteries and that’s it. I’m one of the few that only play with nitro and when I see parts that are scarce and needed regularly I grab them. I take care of my stuff and it lasts. I don’t go out and kill the savages like I used to bash.
I also am a nitro buff have two savages x and 2 Losi LST, XL love the nitros, however I do need a piston, ring, and sleeve for my 4.6 engine couldn't seem to find it anywhere no availability so I bought the big red engine very happy with it runs great more power even but would like to restore my old 4.6 have found the connecting rod but no piston or sleeve if anyone has one I'd be very interested in it thanks

I also am a nitro buff have two savages x and 2 Losi LST, XL love the nitros, however I do need a piston, ring, and sleeve for my 4.6 engine couldn't seem to find it anywhere no availability so I bought the big red engine very happy with it runs great more power even but would like to restore my old 4.6 have found the connecting rod but no piston or sleeve if anyone has one I'd be very interested in it thanks

You can always send your piston and sleeve set to RayAracing and get it resized

What's a big red engine? And where did you
Get that from? Was it a direct drop in? I'm having issues with my K5.9 and can't find a piston/sleeve or one way bearing for it. Looking at the prices it isn't worth restoring it cause a new engine is only $300 odd.

If you have a look at xl threads you will see Dynamite big red .28 install . I put one in my xl minor tweak but goes right in and good power

If you have a look at xl threads you will see Dynamite big red .28 install . I put one in my xl minor tweak but goes right in and good power
Looks good, I have managed to get my K5.9 working which is a bonus, the one way bearing is not in a great state but should be enough to have a little fun with for now.

had 2 trucks and have been using 1 as a donor truck, took the truck for it's first run since I first got it back together and had some weird loss of drivetrain. The spur and clutch bell spun but would keep losing power at the wheels. stripped the rear diff down and found it was a different gear ratio to the front... probably doesn't help. have replaced the diff with the same larger toothed diff as the front and will give it a run tomorrow.

I am looking to get another 1/8 or 1/5 truck whats the current suggestions? I had a hobby shop tell me that HPI is struggling again and have stopped producing spare parts and instead only focus on manufacturing RTR's only. Not sure how true it is.

By something that is still available new !!! A Losi or a FG

So you are going electric . Go Arma then . I have a Arma and it works great . Traxxas is over priced media hyped

Well I was thinking electric as nitro is getting harder and harder to maintain (parts and can't source fuel locally).

If I was going to go nitro I was thinking https://www.campbelltownhobbies.com.au/hobao-hyper-mt-sports-plus-nitro-ready-to-run-monster-truck

But I am leaning towards electric as I think that is where the industry is going and Arrma seem to have a good following. Batteries aren't as expensive as they once were.

So would love to know other peoples thoughts on this? maybe the Savage XL forum isn't the best place to ask, but trying to work out where from here?

Also as a another note/question.... anyone had issues with the gearbox not selecting a gear?

The clutch and spur spin and I can see the plate behind the spur is spinning as well (ie, the gearbox definately has input drive) however it doesn't get final drive at times, all I do is back off the throttle then try again and it "engages" and goes fine again until you back off and then it sometimes loses drive again.

What things in the transmission/center diff should I look at? cause when it goes it goes well and throws a rooster tail but its like the gearbox just doesn't engage some times, it can also do it between gear shifts too.

Is this something someone has come across before?

If you are in big open country area go gas ! Fuel is cheap, and 1/6 or. 1/5 scale are tough reliable trucks

If you are in big open country area go gas ! Fuel is cheap, and 1/6 or. 1/5 scale are tough reliable trucks
Yeah I was looking at a HPI Baja 5B/Rovan but big costs and not easy to take camping with the kids, I need something that I can also take when we go bush camping. 1/8 is still pretty big but managable, don't think I could go to 1/10, they just look like toys lol.

Last edited:
Not easy to charge batteries when you are camping either . Unless it’s at a 5 star ⭐

with 500w of solar and 300ah of batteries in my camper, she'll be right :p

Agreed nitro would be better for that or gas, however they are noisy too, and I want to run at parks and stuff.

So you have campgrounds in Australia. poop I thought everything burned down there. That is where you are from ?

So you have campgrounds in Australia. poop I thought everything burned down there. That is where you are from ?
LOL, yeah mate, we have a lots of camping areas, national parks etc, and yeah alot did get a fire thru them but fires are natural and regrowth is quick.

I would have thought the "aussie alf" would have been a give away I'm from the land down under :D

Forest fire season is just starting here in Canada . Is it summer season or winter down there ?

for us, xmas is summer.

However fire season is different depending which part of the country your in. I live up far north queensland and cause we are in the tropics our fire season is late winter/spring (cause it is our dry season), however in the south of the country it is dry season in summer and wet in winter :)

Well go luck with the new truck !! When I joined this forum a while back it never crossed my mind that people other than North Americans were interested in RC . lol ?

Well go luck with the new truck !! When I joined this forum a while back it never crossed my mind that people other than North Americans were interested in RC . lol ?
Lol I wish there was more here in Australia but I'm sure I will have some fun.
Have back ordered a Arrma Kraton 6S as my next truck. With HPI and their issues I just couldn't risk going with them again.

Latest posts

Members online

Back