Savage X SS Ground Up with RB Mods Nova Plus 28-7T

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIRISK

Hi Guys,

Well it has been many years since I have posted on these forums. I last had an RC car around 3 or 4 years ago. Since then spending my efforts on big cars.

But I am back for another tinker and what better way to do it than with a Savage.

Here are a couple of old builds I did on this forum...

Hyper 21 powered OFNA tanked Savage 21
https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6761

O.S. 30VG powered road Savage X
https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6717

So this time around I want to push things even further with the power plant and will be experimenting with the gearing on the 2 speed instead of moving to a 3 speed.

Here is the spec list on what I have either bought already or have on order.

BASE TRUCK
HPI Savage X SS Kit
- Bought 2nd hand in good standard condition
- Has been fully stripped down for full ground up rebuild

RADIO GEAR AND SERVOS
Transmitter and Receiver
- HPI TF-20U 2.4Ghz 2 Channel TX
- HPI RF-20 2.4Ghz 2 Channel RX
Steering Servo
- Hitec HS-7955TG Titanium Gear Coreless Servo
Throttle / Brake Servo
- HPI SF-5 High Torque Metal Gear Servo
Batteries
- Stickman 2500mAh 6.0v hump pack for RX
- 3000mAh 1.2v x 6 AA for TX

ENGINE / PIPE
- Novarossi Plus 28-T/RT (7 Port 28)
- Full mod being carried out by Rick from RB Mods
- RB Concepts THG02 Inline Tuned Pipe and Manifold
- Racer Edge LArge Grey Anodized Fuel Filter
- Dubro Large Blue Silicone Fuel Line

CHASSIS / DRIVELINE
- Integy Alloy Flywheel and 3 Shoe Alloy Clutch set up
- GPM 4.5mm Milled Engine Plate/Chassis
- Integy Heavy Duty Type II Engine Mount
- HPI Heavy Duty Brake Hub
- HPI Dual Fibregalss Disc Brake Set Up
- Hot Bodies Centre Rear Universal Drive Shaft
- Teflon Sealed Steering Bearing Set

SUSPENSION
- CEN Genesis 7.7 Big Bore External Reservoir Shock Set (8)

WHEELS / TYRES
- Axial 8 Spoke Black 40 Series Wheels
- Pro Line Big Joe Tires

I will continue to update as the build progresses and also update the above specs as additional items get added to the list.

I am really excited about the RB Mods Novarossi Plus 27-7 as it should really, really haul!! COmbined with the RB THG-02 Pipe it should go and sound tuff as f*ck!!

Here are some of photos of the truck as I bought it...

Sav02.jpg

Sav01.jpg

Sav04.jpg

Sav03.jpg

Sav05.jpg

And here is where I am at with it at the moment.

I have almost finished fully stripping it down.

Once it is all stripped I will clean ever part thoroughly in preparation for reassembly.

IMG_1393.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

Progress continues.

I have removed every single nit, bolt, clip, pin etc from the truck and bathed them all in petrol. They are now nice and clean, ready for re-assembly.

I now have to give all the larger items left over a good hot soapy water bath and clean all that up.

Once that is done I should be ready for re-assembly and will just need to wait on all my new parts to arrive.

IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg

So I have decided to step up my clutch set up a few notches.

I just thought why spend all this money on the engine and then fit a (potentially) cheap Integy set up.

So I have now ordered...

- Mugen Pilot Nut
- Mugen 1.0mm Clutch Springs
- Dynamite Max Lofe Alloys Clutch Shoes

...should be a nice set up.

dynamiteclutch.jpg

MugenNut.jpg

MugenSprings.jpg

Also have order some Titanium Tie Rods after find one of my stockies was bent.

TitaniumRods.jpg

nice start hirisk. the integy clutch set up is a good one thats long lasting but the dynamites grab harder. i just installed the dynamite to replace my wore out integy clutch.

I'm going to give those Dyanmite shoes a try next time i need to replace the clutch.

I see you have the Nova 28-7T going in.. This ordered already because it has to be modded to become a pull start. Just a warning if you didnt know =)

I see you have the Nova 28-7T going in.. This ordered already because it has to be modded to become a pull start. Just a warning if you didnt know =)

No, all good.

I ordered the RT version, which is Rotostart.

I just got an email from Rick at RB Mods - its on its way!!

No, all good.

I ordered the RT version, which is Rotostart.

I just got an email from Rick at RB Mods - its on its way!!

You might want to keep the Rotostart; Novarossi motors are the highest compression RC motors I have ever owned. My old one ate pull starts. I love Novarossi and i will be dropping another one in when the 28XP dies.

BTW you won't be disappointed, they are crazy powerful, and i only had a 3-port.

You might want to keep the Rotostart; Novarossi motors are the highest compression RC motors I have ever owned. My old one ate pull starts. I love Novarossi and i will be dropping another one in when the 28XP dies.

BTW you won't be disappointed, they are crazy powerful, and i only had a 3-port.

Yeah, I had a Novarossi 528X in my Jammin X1-CRT and it was an animal, and this was out of the box, so I can't imagine how the newer Plus 7 version with RB Mods full modification will be - should be insanely fast.

Dynamite clutch shoes are awesome! Your gonna like 'em!

Yes, definately keen to see how they hook up with all the power the 28 will put down, should be great.

Another package in the mail today.

A new set of 8 CEN Nemesis 7.7 External Reservoir Shocks.

These things are awesome, good quality, good build and tuff.

I had them on a previous Savage build and liked them a lot.

CEN Nemesis External Reservoir Shocks

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

CEN vs Savage

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

Filling with Oil

CENShocks.jpg

An old Savage I owned with the same set up

P1010395.jpg

i loved those shocks. savage is coming together nicely.

Another day goes by, another package comes in the mail.

Hopefully by the end of the week I will have all my parts.

GPM 4mm ribbed and milled main chassis

IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1440.jpg

Bonus!!

I found another package that my wife must have put on the kitchen table and forgot to tell me about.

More gear means closer to rebuild time.

Mugen 1.0mm Clutch Spings / Mugen Pilot Nut / Dynamite Max Life Alloy Clutch Shoes

IMG_1442.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

I'm going to run 4 of the same shocks and try that out for bashing. What I like is the fill guide page for those shocks. THX. Also like the comparison between the savage shock and the cen. Good pic

If your wanting to run 4 shocks, pick up a set of big bores from a Flux off of ebay.

Expect to pay around $30-$40 shipped

Any updates with this build?

Any updates with this build?

I thoroughly washed all the plastic components with hot soapy water and it has all come up like new.

I have also finished washing all the metal components, which were first scrubbed in petrol and finished off with a wash in alcohol.

Now, I just have to wait patiently for the rest of my new gear, including the motor, to come in the mail.

Once it all arrives I will re-assemble.

Thanks...I may go that route if I can't lock in a good deal for 8 of the CEN shocks.

i have run 8 of the CEN shocks and it was wwwwaaayyyy to stiff for me so stiff that the shocks wouldn't function but thats just me but i sold them before i could try just 4.

builds looking good man looking forward to some video of the runs and jumps and bashing.

shark

Members online

No members online now.
Back