Savage 4.6 blew up!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guardian707

I got my new savage 12/19/14 did the break in and it's not my first nitro.. I started it last weekend and it froze up. So I looked inside found pieces of the piston rod. What do I do now and how do I contact Hpi!
I emailed them two times and haven't heard anything yet.
Is there a nother way to contact them?

Could be the engine was hydro locked and broke the rod when you tried to start it up... overpriming the engine can do this easily fyi

That's what is sounds like will this void any warranty? Do you think they will help me or am I buying a new motor? I'm trying to contact them.

Last edited:
I think the warranty stuff is handled by hobbico now, contact them and see, ya may get lucky and get at least a new rod for the engine....

Still trying to contact hpi. I was on hold for 55min never got to talk to anyone. Still no replys to my emails. I will keep trying and post when I here from them..

All the best Guardian707! Hope that when you do get through there is help from the other end and everything will be worth the while!
Keep us posted!

Talk to them today. They are aware of this problem and they said to just send the motor in and they will look at it. Hope I can get a new one I will post more soon.

We'll I'm getting a new motor this is what tower hobbies said happen The wrist pin the holds piston to rod failed. And went into engine. Can't wait to get it running again.

Well...at least your getting somewhere with it. Will take awhile but at least you will be running again. Is your's the F4.6 or K4.6 engine? The F4.6 pin is sprung and works like a one way system. A OWB isn't cheap here at my LHS so I may do the perm mod that works on a F engine.

Best of Luck Guardian!! Awaiting results!

We'll I'm getting a new motor this is what tower hobbies said happen The wrist pin the holds piston to rod failed. And went into engine. Can't wait to get it running again.

Glad to hear they are sending you a new replacement mill.

Now you know the truth behind an RC addiction! You need more than one......to tide you over in times of need!!!!!!!!

Tim I have the Hpi F4.6 V2
And I have back up rc..
Slash 4x4
SC10B buggy

Nice collection Guardian! As Gav mentioned, the nature of the RC beast is such!...lol!
Bash the others...break something just in time for the new engine to get back..then bash the savage and order a new replacement part for the repair...rinse and repeat...haha!

Nice collection Guardian! As Gav mentioned, the nature of the RC beast is such!...lol!
Bash the others...break something just in time for the new engine to get back..then bash the savage and order a new replacement part for the repair...rinse and repeat...haha!
Tim I like the way you think....... Spot on!
Tim I have the Hpi F4.6 V2
And I have back up rc..
Slash 4x4
SC10B buggy
+1 love the back up.

LOL Gav!! It's also- check wallet before bash!

Hmm....I know it's old but a Slash seems a good addition for quickie bashing. May consider. I may look into a 1/10 nitro...time to window shop

Right On !!!! take it very easy with it, and just to be safe I would tear it down and inspect it really good, may as well seal it now too....

Backups are awesome. I've had quite a few nitros but not one these guys that has like 50 vehicles....I don't like them to sit so keep what I can handle at once (between 8-11 is good for me). I like to really turn them out so it keeps me busy enough..

Anyway once, a few months ago, I had every nitro of mine on the bench being repaired. First time that had ever happened. Only for a few hours mind you, but it was the first time in a looong time I thought "You know....f I wanted to run nitro right now...I couldn't". Scared the crap out of me--i went into speed wrench mode. Gotta have the fix for sure! I don't run every day, but I average 7 times a week. Savage is my go to vehicle when I just want to go out and get grimy with it,

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back