Savage 21 and 25

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zep71

I have 2 of my Savages running going to get ready for #3

What seems to be the problem with it ?
Truck doesn’t move on the ground but wheels move when off the ground. Have ripped this truck apart 6 times already. Changed spur gear, clutch bell, checked all upper and lower transmission parts, checked front and rear diffs, checked OWB, checker clutch holder (86087) which I read could’ve been a bad factory part from ‘09. Even ordered a new one in case I need it.
Have to make some adjustments today and then will be trying again. Not optimistic though. Only thing I haven’t changed is the clutch but it still looks good. Can still see the numbers on the outside of the clutches.

Truck doesn’t move on the ground but wheels move when off the ground. Have ripped this truck apart 6 times already. Changed spur gear, clutch bell, checked all upper and lower transmission parts, checked front and rear diffs, checked OWB, checker clutch holder (86087) which I read could’ve been a bad factory part from ‘09. Even ordered a new one in case I need it.
Have to make some adjustments today and then will be trying again. Not optimistic though. Only thing I haven’t changed is the clutch but it still looks good. Can still see the numbers on the outside of the clutches.
and your slipper clutch is good?

Yes. Replaced that as well with a ceramic one.
I am just learning how these work. Jam Racing 1 here on the forums has been a really big help to me, i even PMed him when i was having trouble. your problem might be simple just over looked he might be able to help.

Have you checked to make sure all of the drive cups have their grub screws installed? What I'm talking about are part number 86094 in the first image. 86095 in the second.

upload_2017-11-30_9-18-30.png
upload_2017-11-30_9-26-9.png

Not uncommon for those to fall out and cause an issue like what you are seeing. Check both outdrives from the transmission as well as the drive cups on the pinion for the diffs. If some are missing, make sure to add some loctite when you reinstall.

Have you checked to make sure all of the drive cups have their grub screws installed? What I'm talking about are part number 86094 in the first image. 86095 in the second.

View attachment 4075
View attachment 4076

Not uncommon for those to fall out and cause an issue like what you are seeing. Check both outdrives from the transmission as well as the drive cups on the pinion for the diffs. If some are missing, make sure to add some loctite when you reinstall.

Yes. I checked and both were there and tight.

I took the engine out again to inspect the clutch shoes and here are some pics of what it looks like. Thoughts?
IMG_6320.JPG IMG_6321.JPG IMG_6322.JPG IMG_6323.JPG IMG_6325.JPG IMG_6326.JPG IMG_6327.JPG
Either way, I'm going to replace it with a Dynamite Max-Life 5180 clutch shoe set and Mugen 1.0 springs.

Yes. I checked and both were there and tight.
i just had that problem on my 21 it was the nut that holds the spur gear was coming lose. i got a new nylock nut and used a little thread lock. not saying this is the same as you are dealing with but i would check it.

I know this sounds kinda basic but is there a chance the brake setup is partially froze up such that with no load on the wheels they will turn but when on the ground froze up.

ok good luck hope you get it sorted out but to me your clutch shoes look fine.Do they move out ok by using your fingers?

I agree clutch shoes do not look all that bad, possibly oil in the bell?? that will make those funky phenolic/plastic shoes slip like mad and not transmit the power....
Alloy shoes are the only way to fly if ya ask this old man :)

ok good luck hope you get it sorted out but to me your clutch shoes look fine.Do they move out ok by using your fingers?
Thanks @js1badsti Me too! Yes, I can move them out with my fingers and no broken springs.

I agree clutch shoes do not look all that bad, possibly oil in the bell?? that will make those funky phenolic/plastic shoes slip like mad and not transmit the power....
Alloy shoes are the only way to fly if ya ask this old man :)
Bell is brand new and hasn't had a run through since it was installed. Since the new clutch shoes and springs will be here Friday, I'll find out soon enough if the clutch is the issue.

I would follow driveline movement as it sits on the ground. When you hit the throttle, does the clutch bell turn? If so, watch the back of the slipper clutch assembly, does that turn? Then look at the outdrives on the transmission, do they turn? Somewhere along the line stuff won't be moving, that's where you should be looking.

I would follow driveline movement as it sits on the ground. When you hit the throttle, does the clutch bell turn? If so, watch the back of the slipper clutch assembly, does that turn? Then look at the outdrives on the transmission, do they turn? Somewhere along the line stuff won't be moving, that's where you should be looking.
Thanks @X Clutch shoes and springs should be arriving this week. Once I get them in I will check all of the above. Appreciate the good info.

Parts arrived Friday and finally got around to getting them installed this morning. Happy to say that the issue has been resolved. It was the clutch shoes and springs. Took it out for a quick test and I'm already loving the way the Mugen 1.0 springs are responding. Hoping to get longer life out of the Dynamite Aluminum clutch shoes.
IMG_6354.jpg IMG_6355.jpg IMG_6356.jpg

Only ran it for 5 minutes even though I wanted to run it for a few hours but with the holiday's approaching, and the wife having some things on the "Honey Do" list, I cut it short.

Thank you to all in this thread who helped with their suggestions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back