Roto start to pull start swap?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xNytemarex

Anyone ever done this? the roto start just seems like a pain in the butt. what would I need, other than the pull starter.

Alright, so when I get the pull start assembly just bolt it up? or do I need to take parts off?

you use the rotostart one way bearing (OWB)
and you just screw down the pull starter with the supplied 3 allen screw's.

use a little thread lock

HPI pull start part # 1428

I came across this thread and was asking some of the same questions. I have a brand new Savage with the 4.6. I was thinking about converting to the pull start. Previously, I had a Traxxas Stinkpede and the one thing, let me say that again, THE ONE THING I liked about that truck was the starting system. The roto start works but I think I'd find more advantages with the pull start.

i replaced the roto on my sav x 4.6 with the pull start. the roto is way too big & clumsy & the battery is just 1 more thing to have to charge & all that. anyway, if your sav doesn't start after a few (3 or 4) pulls, then you have some other type of problem preventing it from starting & all the roto or cordless drill spinning in the world isn't going to get it to run. Too many dissapointments walking back to where i left the roto or hooking up the roto when i was ready to bash and not having enough power to turn the engine over has made my pull start my best hop up yet!

Which motor do you have on your Savage, the F or the K? 4.1 or 4.6?
If you have the F mill use This if you have the K mill use This. I just ordered the #1428 Pull start for my Savage with an F 4.6 mill. It's a painless conversion. :stickspank:

Last edited by a moderator:
hey potter, watch out for that website r/c warehouse.com, i just checked the identical part number on www.hobbyfever.com (aka savagecentral.com) which is my LHS and it is about 12 bucks cheaper.

frddyj: It's up on the stand as we speak. I'm changing a few other things at the same time. I haven't started it yet with the pull start. I know I'm going to love it. I'll post a response when it's complete.

Thanks frddyj. the price you see at Rcwarehouse is Australian dollars. so if i want to buy from the US it would cost me about the same.
I'm pretty sure mine is the K 4.6 motor

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotostart to pull start mod is complete. While it was on the bench, I decided to mod the hub carrier's as well to maximize the trucks turning radius. Thanks to larsenracing and fxstrongside for the detailed instructions. Started truck today and ran for a while. Well work the bench time.

how did she crank up for ya with the pull? i am way happier than with the roto.

ok now I'm confused what pull start to get.
how do i find out what motor i have?
do i need to get a new OWB when i get the pull start. this is doing my head in

Which motor do you have on your Savage, the F or the K? 4.1 or 4.6?
If you have the F mill use This if you have the K mill use This. I just ordered the #1428 Pull start for my Savage with an F 4.6 mill. It's a painless conversion. :stickspank:

Don't panic. :dunno:

First look at your heatsink. This is a K4.6 heatsink
This is an F4.6 heatsink

If you have the K 4.6 heatsink you need this pullstart.

If you have the F 4.6 heatsink you need this pullstart.

No. You do not need to get a new OWB.

Awesome thanks Eatvage :resp: for ya. I have the F4.6
Ill go get one of these later today along with a new Engine mount.

Awesome thanks Eatvage :resp: for ya. I have the F4.6
Ill go get one of these later today along with a new Engine mount.

No problem. Good luck with the conversion. Like I said in a previous post, the conversion is painless and is well worth the bench time. I love the pullstart.

Which engine mount were you looking into?

What kind of oil do you guys use for the OWB ? Why is the pull start easier then the rotor start ?

Hey ridg3 i can see that this is your first post, so first things first; welcome my man! tell us about your sav & post a pic if you can.
when i burnt out my o/w/b with the roto, i put a tiny amount of wd-40 on the new one before i put it in & not any more since & it has been perfect.
I did not have a good experience with the roto-start; my savage had a major 1/2 tank lean at first and stalled often. it was a pain to have to carry that big chunky roto start around & the battery would always die at the wrong time. i switched to a pull start & it made life a whole lot easier.

Members online

No members online now.
Back