Question about my truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubenator80

I was given this truck by my neighbor. Just by looking at can someone tell me the exact model of this truck. Savage 25, x ss, x 4.6? It would be nice to know so I can get the right parts for it.

Attachments

• 20150911_185144.jpg
    20150911_185144.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 12
It would be easier to be more sure if we had pics with the cover off. However from the looks of it, mostly because of the red shock springs, you have a Savage 21 RTR.

Definitely not an X. It's the older style savage. I think the SS came with black springs, so odds are it's a 25 or 21 savage. As noted, a body off shot would help.

Would this help more? Thank you

Attachments

• 20151026_072123.jpg
    20151026_072123.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20151026_072147.jpg
    20151026_072147.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20151026_072132.jpg
    20151026_072132.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 19
I'm not 100% sure what engine that is, but I do know, that is probably one of the loudest pipes I've ever heard. Lots of low end torque, but damn loud, so prepare for that. :) The engine looks like the nitrostar 25: http://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/1406, which means it's either an alternate engine on a 21 savage (original), or is a later version of the original savage that should have the 4 spider gear diffs. Pretty sure the .25 savage and on had 4 spider diffs to help with durability.

The HPI polished pipe isn't quite as loud and performs really well, can usually find one on ebay for cheap. I like the Losi HT (LST2/XL pipe), but it takes a bit of work to make it fit since it doesn't use a coupler. It's quieter, but makes for a nice power delivery on the 4 or 5 engines I've run it with. Requires a bit of grinding so you can use a coupler like you have there.

Thank you for the info. I really appreciate it. :)

I'm not 100% sure what engine that is, but I do know, that is probably one of the loudest pipes I've ever heard. Lots of low end torque, but damn loud, so prepare for that. :) The engine looks like the nitrostar 25: http://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/1406, which means it's either an alternate engine on a 21 savage (original), or is a later version of the original savage that should have the 4 spider gear diffs. Pretty sure the .25 savage and on had 4 spider diffs to help with durability.

The HPI polished pipe isn't quite as loud and performs really well, can usually find one on ebay for cheap. I like the Losi HT (LST2/XL pipe), but it takes a bit of work to make it fit since it doesn't use a coupler. It's quieter, but makes for a nice power delivery on the 4 or 5 engines I've run it with. Requires a bit of grinding so you can use a coupler like you have there.

What kind of parts can i use for this truck? Will any savage parts fit this truck?

Older stuff. There's quite a few parts that are interchangeable between the XL/X and older style savages.

Last edited:
I stick with my guess that it is a Savage 21 RTR. Assuming the red shocks, TVPs and radio box are stock. It does appear though that upgrades have occurred. That HPI ribbed pipe is an "upgrade" and someone swapped the engine for an HPI F4.1.

I stick with my guess that it is a Savage 21 RTR. Assuming the red shocks, TVPs and radio box are stock. It does appear though that upgrades have occurred. That HPI ribbed pipe is an "upgrade" and someone swapped the engine for an HPI F4.1.

If i wanted upgrade to a better or different engine. Do you have any recommendations and that will fit my truck and also the pipe. I would like a quieter pipe. Thank you

based on the body I'm gonna say 21. but, you have a different engine, pipe, gas tank, and air filter just from what I can see. so its not stock.

just about any engine on the market will fit the savage. the lrp .28, .30, and .32 are all popular engines.

as for a pipe, the ofna/dynamite 086 is a good choice. if you want to put $$ into it, ECRM make costum pipes that are extremely good.

Just my idea, i can't think of a lot of parts that won't fit a pre-X Savage.

I say it is an SS http://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/845
Red springs, ribbed tuned pipe.. And an S25 engine.
The 21RTR had blue TVP's IIRC

Copied from HPI's site.

Savage X parts that will fit on past Savage trucks:
Nylon Roll Hoop (more durable)
Nylon Rollcage (engine protection)
Warlock Wheels* (stronger 17mm hex hub)
17mm Hex Hubs (stronger)
GT-2 Tires (lighter)
Turnbuckles (easier to adjust) Transmission Case (easier to remove)
Differential Housings* (front and rear)(easier to remove)
Shock Towers (additional shock locations)
Suspension Arms (lighter)
Radio Box (easier access)
Slipper Clutch (dual pads plus rubber dampening)
Savage X Chassis Plates* (lowered CG)
F4.1 Engine
* May require a few extra parts for conversion

Parts carried over from past Savage trucks:
Internal Differentials
Internal Transmission
Dogbones
Driveshafts
Brake
Axles
Exhaust
Uprights
C Hubs
Body Posts
Body Position
Engine Mount & Plate
Servo Saver
Shocks and Springs

Past Savage parts that will NOT fit on the Savage X:
Alloy Roll Hoop
Spur Gears (hardened steel gears will fit with new inner hub)
Polycarbonate Receiver Cover

Not sure what all the parts are between the X and XL, but I do know that some don't swap easily. Like the BP diffs, they require the X/XL diff case halves if you want to use the large diff cups. The diff case halves may require different skids, towers, skid plate mounts, bumpers. Also, the large diff cups need large cup wheel axles and HD dog bones.

Transmissions are seemingly interchangeable. The later models have a trans that will split horizontally so you don't have to take the entire TVP off to get part of the trans out, unless it's the output shaft, then you still need to. The newer cases have 2 adjustment holes for a 3-speed trans. I never saw much need in the 3-speed, just one more thing to screw up a day and takes a bit of fiddling to get it working right. It was cool to hear the multiple shifts though.

There were also brake upgrades, dual disk composite from the XL (and I thought the X) were what I proffered. I know the receiver box changed at least once, maybe twice. The later one is easier to get into.

I bought my savage X off a forum, or ebay. Was in relatively pristine condition. It had the single pad slipper at the time and a grey headed roto-start engine that I couldn't get to run right. I gave up pretty quickly since this was the previous owners first RC and threw an LRP28S3 in it. Then I fought with gearing/slipper issues until I bought an HPI 47T steel spur and OFNA 16T hardened bell. As previously mentioned, I replaced the diffs with the BP diffs, installed the HD axles and HD dogbones pretty early on as well. One of the diffs fried on me shortly after installing the LRP, so I just upgraded everything to avoid future issues. I also got an RPM center skid because I had busted one of the brake discs in the past on a previous savage. It finishes it off nice anyway and keeps some crap from jamming up in the rear axle cup.

Last edited:
Copied from HPI's site.

Savage X parts that will fit on past Savage trucks:
Nylon Roll Hoop (more durable)
Nylon Rollcage (engine protection)
Warlock Wheels* (stronger 17mm hex hub)
17mm Hex Hubs (stronger)
GT-2 Tires (lighter)
Turnbuckles (easier to adjust) Transmission Case (easier to remove)
Differential Housings* (front and rear)(easier to remove)
Shock Towers (additional shock locations)
Suspension Arms (lighter)
Radio Box (easier access)
Slipper Clutch (dual pads plus rubber dampening)
Savage X Chassis Plates* (lowered CG)
F4.1 Engine

Parts carried over from past Savage trucks:
Internal Differentials
Internal Transmission
Dogbones
Driveshafts
Brake
Axles
Exhaust
Uprights
C Hubs
Body Posts
Body Position
Engine Mount & Plate
Servo Saver
Shocks and Springs

Alloy Roll Hoop
Polycarbonate Receiver Cover

So there are about 5 parts that won't fit without modding or extra parts.
The rest can be used on both types without modding.

Warlock Wheels*
Differential Housings* Only need a different Joint post. (#86803 - JOINT POST )

Alloy Roll Hoop
Polycarbonate Receiver Cover ( just because the radiobox is different. )The complete radiobox is a direct drop-in

Not exactly "Quite a few" as you stated before...

If i wanted upgrade to a better or different engine. Do you have any recommendations and that will fit my truck and also the pipe. I would like a quieter pipe. Thank you

LRP 28 S3 is a good engine. You can go for their larger 30 or 32, but with any of the 3, plan on diff/axle upgrades, or having parts on hand.

I run 3 of the 28's in 3 of my rigs. Good power, relatively easy to tune, long life... not very fuel efficient and break in is mildly unpleasant, but otherwise, very good engines for me.

Not exactly "Quite a few" as you stated before...

Didn't notice I typed "aren't" vs "are". I updated my post. Didn't mean to make anyone upset. Was reading your replies on my phone, so didn't bother scrolling up 5 pages to see what I typed. I noticed the mistake a few minutes ago.

Latest posts

Members online

Back