project....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[hs] darkshine

I Keep Breakin $h!t
i suppose you could call this a project log, really. i have no real idea what the finished project is going to be, i have a few cool ideas, but we'll just have some fun along the way!!

for those who don't know me, my name is Dan, from loverly sunny Cambridge, England. I Own a second-hand 4.6 ss sav (the basis for this log) here's how it looked when i got it.
DSC00070.JPG

a bit beat up, but after i had a play, it looked worse!!-
DSC00067.JPG

it wheeleys quite well, so as i knackered a shell i bought a dodge ram and painted it-
DSC00076.JPG

since then i broke a front shock, so i fitted irc lst style shocks and irc 4mm tvp's. i had to give it a good clean, so i stripped and re-fitted everything. the current mod is a mid tank, which i have been mostly working on today, so here's some pics from today...
DSC00085.JPG

front end back together and everything apart from the wheels/tyres cleaned...

DSC00086.JPG

super sexy shocks!!!

DSC00087.JPG

gpm chassis brace where the steering posts usually go into the reciever box. this later on had one of the standard hpi plastic braces on top of it, to act as a front mount for the tank...

DSC00088.JPG

there's more room than i thought down there..

DSC00089.JPG

i had to err...modify the roll bar (with a dremel and cutting disk) to allow me to be able to mount the servo mounts.

DSC00090.JPG

which are here, ready for the steering servo...

DSC00091.JPG

and here we have the throttle servo mounted.

DSC00092.JPG

and the throttle linkage. now i know i am biased, but it's brilliant. i now have a spektrum dx3, and i don't know if it's that or what, but the throttle opens to wot damn quick!!!

DSC00093.JPG

steering servo mounted.

DSC00094.JPG

hump pack mounted on the front shock tower, in a pair of latex glove fingers, dunno how well this'll hold out...

DSC00095.JPG

and the same view from the rear...

DSC00096.JPG

this is roughly where the tank's gong to be...

DSC00098.JPG

i needed to run a tank through, so it's sort of togeher, bar the tank being secure and no rear end...
as you might be able to make out, i put another chassis brace on the top of the frame, above the tranny, on one of the roll bar mounts, and a bit of 90 degree ally to mount the tank onto...

so there we have it for the time being boys ad girls. comments and suggestions more than welcome!!! dan

Looks good Dan, couple of questions, what did you use for servo mounts? and how do you like the IRC shocks and TVP's so far? and 1 comment, with all the bends in that linkage how well does it work? seems like you would have somethings binding, if you turn your servo around you would have a little longer rods but your bends wouldn't need to be as sharp.

thanx bud. the mounts are gpm mounts for a tamiya tt01. i could only find them in red....:chainkiller:
the tvp's are brilliantly strong! the shox's i've only had one session on so far, and they impressed, a little soft for me, so i have dialed in a bit of pre load, but me and a mate were drifting in a dry swimming pool (it had rained and was a bit slippy!) and i got too sideways and flicked the other way, head on into a sav 21! front wheel went 'wham!' on the shock, and no damage! re:throttle, i think i will, the brakes aren't that strong. thanx bud.

hey dan couldnt find the other thread just letting you know my boxer dog died today supect kidney failure yet she was brilliant last week following teatment proper fed up :nutshot: :nutshot:

:nutshot: sorry to hear bud. mine is now with my dad in colchester, due to be moving to ipswitch this weekend. i miss him, but i cant walk him every day, and my dad running a pub can...:nutshot:

tell me about it, my first dog was 17 when she died, i was like 18-19, so all my memories involved the dog. i was absolutely gutted. it's weird now, i get in from work and even if i was in a bad mood, dog would trot up to me and plonk his head on my lap as if to say 'hello, fuss me it'll make you feel better' and it did. stupid dad taking dog. grrr! better for the dog at the end of the day tho, just weird not having a dog around atm.

yeah i know what you mean its weird when i come home and she aint here
no only that we got a german shepard (the misses dog ) he is looking around for her

Sorry about your dog. i hate it when a pet dies.

well i put the rear end back togtether today and put my 40 series on. here's pics from so far:

DSC00099.JPG

not so much height now. i do need to add a bit of pre-load to the sus tho, it'll bottom out to easy at the mo...

DSC00100.JPG

need to secure the front 23mm adaptors as well...

DSC00101.JPG

starting to look like a truck again!!

DSC00102.JPG

the rear end needs more pre-load as well, and i need to put a hole in the rear skid plate to let me get the rotostart shaft through...need to sort the throttle servo, mid tank and the rest of the electrics out... i'll aim to get some more pics up later on today. laters.

and here's pics from the rest of the days' modding...

DSC00107.JPG

i re-did the throttle linkage on jts' advice, works as well as last one, but now the brakes actually lock up!- and looks nicer

DSC00108.JPG

sorted out the electronics as well, new switch with charge port in plce. it's an irvine one, for planes by the way.

DSC00109.JPG

as i don't have the savage x radio box (or any radio box for that matter!:eyecrazy: ) i put the batt level indicator here.

DSC00111.JPG

how things were going to look...

DSC00112.JPG

tank brace in place, the venom failsafe sits just below the tranny, and as you can see, the wire goes up to the reciever from there.

DSC00113.JPG

and what a pants pic to end on! apologies, the tank is held in place by foam trim repair tape and the old exhaust spring, shortened. might get to actually play soon!!

Much better looking throttle linkage set up, (even looks like it works better) good job bud. :10:

Last edited by a moderator:
thanx bud. think the next step will be a different 'pipe and i need to put my filter back on the beasty i suppose, part from that, not a lot left...till i break summit i gues!:chainkiller:

it was untill i was chatting with jt last night about his plans on hops mid tank. mine looked a bit untidy, so it's under a rethink...(damn truck spent more time apart than together...) the hump will be placed between the engine and tvp's, behind the throttle servo, and that's about as far as i got!! i want to put stuff a lot lover, keep the stuff low and hidden...:bang:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back