power supply?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleSix

U run nitro? I'm sorry.
Looking to uprade my charging situation. With all my packs on store charge, it takes awile to get ready to go out run. Looking at this charger http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...al-Li-NiMH-A123-Balancing-Charger-7S-20A-500W

Now I don't know too much about chargers, and even less about power supplys. Anyone use this charger? And what am I gonna need for a power supply? Suggestions and links please. Says it needs a 24v 1300w power source. Sounds expensive.

I wont be charging 2 7s lipos anytime in the near future. Largest pack I have to charge now is a hyperion 5s 35c 5500. Maybe a 6s one day, but not planning on 2 7s ever. So I could possible get away with a smaller power supply?

Think I'm gonna go with the 0615i instead. Not planning on owning any 14s lipos in the near future, lol. Still looking for links to a good p/s.

Think I'm gonna go with the 0615i instead. Not planning on owning any 14s lipos in the near future, lol. Still looking for links to a good p/s.

Here is a link to 615i:
http://www.maxamps.com/EOS0615i-DUO3.htm

Here is a link to p/s:
http://www.maxamps.com/Power-Supply-24V.htm

If you order both from maxamps they will knock 10 bucks of the p/s..I just picked up both of these last week,but haven't used it yet..lol

Oh yeah if you order the p/s make sure you use the drop down box at the bottom of the page with the charger,that is where you get the 10 bucks of at.Just so you no..

Here is a link to 615i:
http://www.maxamps.com/EOS0615i-DUO3.htm

Here is a link to p/s:
http://www.maxamps.com/Power-Supply-24V.htm

If you order both from maxamps they will knock 10 bucks of the p/s..I just picked up both of these last week,but haven't used it yet..lol

Oh yeah if you order the p/s make sure you use the drop down box at the bottom of the page with the charger,that is where you get the 10 bucks of at.Just so you no..

if i didnt already have this set up, i would buy the charger and power supply that scott just linked. it ill have all the jam your gonna need for cars.

here's my set up:

DSC_0396.jpg

5s sync charge and balance in progress (before balance cycle)

DSC_0399.jpg

DSC_0397.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link scott. I was already eyeballin that combo. Somebody, however, told me that I could do better. Scott linked a 24v ps and frrdys using a 12v. Whats gonna be the major difference between the two? Charge times?

So my question is then, is the 24v worth the extra coin?
Largest LiPo I have now is a 5s 5500. Probably gonna get a 6s 5500 soon, just to do it. Will the 24v make a noticable difference in charge times with these?

If I'm not mistaken I believe the Amps is what affects your charge times. Not voltage. I don't think you would notice a difference in charge times. If your charging at 1C your charging at 1C etc.

I just bought a similar setup I have the ofna 12-15 v switchable but you only need 14.4 output to get max charging with just one 615i duo 3 I also currently use the ep buddy paraboard and parralell charge 2 4s 5000 mah on each channel with no problems

I bought a muchmore power supply, love it, runs solid. Also have the team check point charger, still trying to figure it out. 615i ($229) has been discontinued and replaced by the 720i ($279). Love those pics Fred. Pic says a 1000 words. You answered my question I had about will they and how to hook to packs at once balance ea. cell correctly. I also hear these lipos need to be charged when storring them and should be checked on periodically or they will go bad on you. I' ve been comparing this charger next to the Bantam charger, but in the end I'll buy the hyp 702i.

Good thread

Slim - thank for taking the time to post. Great pics. Alot of our members are crossing over to electric and LiPo setups. saying is one thing showing a pic with words tell so much more.

No problem I've been thinking bout converting the savage to elec. Have you or any tried the Kershaw designs direct drive setup with the Kershaw designs battery holders?

Just called maxamps and they said probably should use the 12 v as 24v could short the breaker switch in your house. I'm getting the 720duo also, anyone running 24v power supply?

Just got the 720 and the maxamps 24v power supply a few days ago. No issues whatsoever. Charged my 2 and 3s 5500's at 20a in 26min. Love this setup.

Saweet! Thanks 3 6. Are you running maxamps LiPo too. Have the maxamps 2s 6500. Charging with 606i suxs, haha

No maxamps for me, lol :$broke:

I run hyperions, and love them. The 0606 is no comparison to the 0720. Definately one of the best upgrades ever for me.

Do you always charge at 20amps? Or just when you have to be in a rush? My lipos are 5c capable but 20 amps seem much don't it, I'm kinda worried it might start to puff. Or is it totally safe to do so.

Do you always charge at 20amps? Or just when you have to be in a rush? My lipos are 5c capable but 20 amps seem much don't it, I'm kinda worried it might start to puff. Or is it totally safe to do so.

jeff, id like to know your thoughts on this also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive only done it once, just because I could, lol. I will most likely charge at 15a as not to stress anything too much. At 15a, it still only took about 32min to sync charge my 2 and 3s 5500's.

Ive only done it once, just because I could, lol. I will most likely charge at 15a as not to stress anything too much. At 15a, it still only took about 32min to sync charge my 2 and 3s 5500's.

I started charging my packs at 15 amps in sync also and no problems yet.....yet being the keyword haha.

hey three six why do the maxamps powersupply have two power cords. And the main lead wire don't have any connectors on the power supply, are you suppose to solder bullet connectors or something?

hey three six why do the maxamps powersupply have two power cords. And the main lead wire don't have any connectors on the power supply, are you suppose to solder bullet connectors or something?

The ps has two cords because its really 2 12v ps run in series. One plug has the ground, and one doesnt. Doesnt matter which goes where, just have to have them both pluged in to get the 24v. The ps comes with the female banana plug already soldered. Just hard to tell from the pics. Trust me, I already called maxamps with all these questions before I pulled the trigger.

I used this three way adapter so i can just bother with one plug, as the ps doesnt have an on/off switch, and installing one will void the warranty. (already aked that too)

IMAG0216.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Back