Parker's pride and joy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would a nice rounded releif there still hold up good? If so, can I do it with a dremel without fraying the carbon fiber too bad. I got plenty of screws bud, got 2 stainless screw kits. The bad part is I tested the suspension on the first rebuild, just dropping it from a few feet, and the long screws bent on the shocks! The RC screws SS screw kits seem to be made from a real dense chromed butter!

Yup park it would hold just fine. don't cut out to much but there really isnt much for structural strength needed there but it doesn help.

A dremal will do a great job the best to use is a sanding bit. The round ones that are about 1/2" in diameter and about 1/2" long there are other sizes but they will work fine and will noot hurt the CF at all.

Stainless steel is always very soft. This is why the steel grade 10.9 or better is recomended. SS looks nice and don't rust but don't hold up as well either expecially in the hex heads.

I guess working on aircraft I'm used to seeing a high grade of stainless and just assumed! Woudn't be the first time. $60 worth of pretty, worthless, screws. Yay. I just loaded up on dremel goodies for the build and will give it a shot. It may be a few days before I can really get to it, mom's b-day is this weekend and I'll have my son. Family is the only thing that comes before the savy. Eating, sleeping, and work I do cause I have to!

Ya your working with a very high grade of SS on aircrafts these screws are cheap and very soft, the best is to go steel class 10.9 or better but like said they rust quickly.

Once you get to it let me know if you have any other questions. Also if needed use my cell # and don't hesitate to call me which I left in my last email. I am more than willing to help you and do what it takes to get everything to fit properly and with ease to make you satisfied. Once you get it finished it will looks sick. I cant wait to see it all together.

Good luck bud and like said if there is anything I can do let me know.

I keep talking about parts so while I'm waiting for some I'll tell you what I've got and plan to get.

LRP spec3 .28r
Mugen 1.0 springs, pilot nut, and shoes
(thinking about the Nova adjustable shoes)
16/49 gearing. vented HPI CB, plastic spur
FLM eng plate and servo mounts
SMF bearing kit
HPI center front cvd
HPI 17mm axle cvd conversion
HPI suspension conversion
RPM black arms
Cen diffs built by Blazer
Platinum RC CF full package
Ofna 250cc tank
HB wing mount
Ofna high donforce wing (not sure I like it)
JConcepts 1/2 offset Rulux wheels with Proline crime fighters
Spektrum 3.0
Spektrum HT on throttle and JR HT HS on steering
I'm sure I forgot something

Still waiting for the big bores to come out. I think I'll get a Buku pipe. I also would like to lighten the tranny, any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
16/49 gearing ? Why do you need all the bottom end .. run 18/47 man I am serious

edit ,, just seen you want to go the Gst diffs .. I get ya

Still waiting for the big bores to come out. I think I'll get a Buku pipe. I also would like to lighten the tranny, any ideas?

Take all of the gears and bearings out of it...

bwhahahahahahaahaha... heeheehee eh eh eh hem.

AHAHAHHAAHHAAHAHAHAH!

Sorry dude.

Hee hee...

:bigsmilie:

If you want to lighten the trans than you could get titanium shafts and gears. The 2 speed is lighter than the 3 speed also.

I have the Pro Line HD wing and it looks great on the Savage.

16/49 gearing ? Why do you need all the bottom end .. run 18/47 man I am serious

edit ,, just seen you want to go the Gst diffs .. I get ya

I originaly went with it to solve an issue. I almost put that I'll probably go back to 18/47 and erased it. I'll have a good list of parts for sale at the end of the build, stuff I didn't need or use. Moto you goofy.... ha ha. Thanks Oregon, you were the inspiration for the shocks coming out of the body. Love the way your savy looks!

HPI has light weight gears that will help lighten it also like mentioned above get a titanium shaft. Also, the X case is lighter than the 21/25 case. You can also shave some of the bracing off of it to lighten it up more just don't get crazy about it and think ahead to make sure you leave the important bracing or parts of it.

The guys at the LHS said the lightened gears break. Anyone had any problems with them? They do look a little thin. After the money I've spent already I'll need to save up for all those titanium parts! My money tree is starting to wilt.

Ya I'm not sure how durable they are I know a buddy ran them for racing but never bashed it so it didn't see extreme abuse. They do look a little thin. If you can find or save up the money I would just get the Ti ones.

If thats the case then I would to hold out and buy the good stuff. My buddy could have just had good luck or was running a weak motor.

Yeah, I'm not known to take it easy on anything. The joke around here is, "is it Parker proof?". I should have stayed in school and became a durability tester. I worked with a guy that has been a mechanic for years and had a Mac 1/2 drive breaker bar and I was affraid to use it for what I was doing. He said he'd had it for as long as I was alive and there was no way I'd break it. 15 mins later I took it to him in pieces. All muscle, no cheater bar. I missed my calling!

Just figured I'd check and see where the rest of my parts are and found this out. Just can't catch a break can I?

280145289926 Hpi Savage 17mm Hex Hub Conversion Set w/Univ Joint 1 $59.99 USD

280145311045 HPI Savage Suspension Conversion Set 87245 1 $134.99 USD

Subtotal: $194.98 USD
Shipping & Handling
(includes any seller handling fees): $15.98 USD
Shipping Insurance (optional): --

Total: $210.96 USD

It was refunded because......

Subject:
Power Hobby
Note:
sorry item was listed in error it is backordered by mfg.
thank you

Do I leave bad feedback for this guy?

I personally would not leave a negative feedback, maybe neutral or just nothing at all. At least they did not try to jerk you around with all kinds of excuses and refunded your money quickly. I checked smf for you, and they have the 17mm hex conversion for 42.99, but they are also out of stock. R/C Planet has them also for 42.99 and looks like they are in stock.
http://www.rcplanet.com/HPI_Hub_Hex_Conversion_Set_Savage_p/hpi87229.htm

Heres the link for the conversion set for 147.00
http://www.rcplanet.com/HPI_Savage_Suspension_Conversion_Set_p/hpi87245.htm

Hope this helps ya bud and good luck getting the parts wherever you get them

It gets better guys! I just got off the phone with my bank cause I was missing $640. Any guess's? Paycheck last friday bounced! So thanks Allan, but I'll have to wait before ordering anything for a little while.

that really sucks and hope everything gets straightened out. But look at the bright side, you still have everyone here, I'm sure the forum will not bounce you :resp:

The support from HPISF is the only thing other than family I can count on! The outfit I work for is AMT Interior Design. The problem is that it's run by a moron. I'm already in contact with OSHA and the US Dept of Labor. AMT will soon be in the history books.

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS!!!!

As of today I no longer am employed. I quit. Not only due to the fact the check bounced but for many other reasons. The savy project is on hold for now as I'm working with Jason to correct the problems I've had. I can tell you I am satisfied with his promptness and willingness to reslove the issues. I look forward to receiving new TVPs and finishing my project.

Thanks Parker and sorry about your job and so on. You are my #1 right now and will be taken care of in a manor as swiftly as I can, as customer service is a top priority here at PRC. We will get things on track as this is a learning experience for me, meaning the business part not designing parts. There are just so many different things to have on these parts that work so closely together, that any error shows up fast and can make a difference. I previously worked for a company called Koyker Mfg where I designed front end loaders for Ag tractors, along with the mounting systems for each and every tractor and I'm not sure if you guys know all the different types of tractors out there, but there are actually hundreds of brands. I worked there for several years then I made a career change and went to Gehl/Mustang where I was a Design Engineer on Skid Loaders I worked there for a few years where I decided to go back and work for dad at our family business where I was a part in for a long time but now had a management position open that I was interested in so who would be stupid not to accept this. Lots of opportunity here; and eventually more than likely taking over. Then my twin bro and myself decided to start our own RC parts business on the side so this is where this is all coming from. Anyhow now that you know my life story!

I greatly appreciate your patients whale we work threw this and get things taken care of.

Here's some pics to show what I was talking about when I said I was having trouble. These are brand new FLM TVPs used for comparison.

flm-larsenracingtvp008.jpg

I think the trouble I was having with the purple diff plates lining is because the cut out is further in than it needed to be.
flm-larsenracingtvp005.jpg

More eyecandy.
flm-larsenracingtvp004.jpg

All the holes were off in one way or another.
flm-larsenracingtvp003.jpg

This is the hole that I oblonged with a drill to make the bulk head line up...still had to use a hammer to make it fit.
flm-larsenracingtvp002.jpg

Same holes on the front bulk untouched, for some reason they weren't too bad.
flm-larsenracingtvp001.jpg

I did notice the FLM holes are bigger but I think if I made all the holes bigger it would be detrimental to the overall strength and would allow for movement.

My parts are different from the FLM's not sure why this is a problem? all the holes are off in the same direction that need to work with each other. We all don't want to be exact everyone is different just like everything. I understand where you are coming from however take theres and line them up with the stock TVP's and they are way off. They are all different a little bit as everyone has there own idea of fit an finnish, not saying mine done need some work but just stating that everyone has there own ideas. They have many fitments issues as well.

Not sure if any of you have worked in a body shop or whatever and have worked with lets just say quarter panels and replaced stock ones because of rust with some aftermarket ones. The aftermarket ones don't fit perfectly. This is like installing a Ground effects kit of a Ricer they need tweaking or modification to make them fit correctly.

Moral of the story most aftermarket things need some tweaking. I have yet to do mods on my savages or whatever other RC that needs some modifying to get it to my standards. These parts have lots of variables to get exactly right.

Like I said above I'm not by all meand saying my stuff is perfict because its not, we are working on these issues closely with parker to get them fixed.

I just wanted to compare them to what I would consider a "standard" and give Jason an idea of what was going on. I still think a bigger drill bit in some of the holes might help alot, I just want to make sure it will not void my warranty. I have changed body panels an cars, not to mention being a liscenced Airframe and Powerplant mechanic. Trust me, I'm no rookie when it comes to working on stuff. If I can fix this myself, there would be no need to send it back. Like I said, I don't want to modify it and be left holding parts because I modified it to make it work. I think it can still happen.

Parker go a head and modify it just don't get carried away. Please PM me with the changes you made along with pictures if possible this way I have a clue whats going on with them and all. Don't worry I will take care of you either way.

We aren't drilling any holes any more they are all cut using the same tool used to cut the outer perimeter as we feel it leaves a much nicer finnish. Some of the holes have been opened up since these were sent to you as this is the only complaint I had when I installed the sets on the trucks around here. let me know on anything else and if you have any other questions.

Latest posts

Members online

Back