Oily Axial RR! Is this the front main bearing leaking?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
man i really don't know what to say.

i didnt read this whole thread.

only because I'm having the same problems.

i bought my axial .28rr to install in my revo.

i received the engine and waited for the parts to install it.

got it all done and perty.
on the 6th tank my high speed needle broke off..6th tank!!

contacted axial via e-mail
as I'm adding my after run oil, and turning the engine over via nut driver and roto start shaft.

i noticed the fluid that hit my arm.. was identical in color to what i just added to the engine for after run oil..

up.. after run oil was literally dripping out of the front of my engine every 2 seconds.

drip, drip, drip

the needle happend on friday, this is saturday night and i noticed the bearing.

i sent axial another e-mail regarding the bearing. and they will be receiving a phone call form me monday morning.

Well I got a hold of them today and it will leave her UPS today. The way they made it sound is they will check it out, fix it, and send it back. I hope they just send me a new one and make me happy.

The sad thing is he tryed to turn it into my fault, they must think I'm stupid! They think it's all a heat issue, Come on guys(Axial), Fess up to the problem and deal with it. I won't mind if they get this thing fixed and in great working order as I think it couuld be a great engine, just fix the problems and put decent bearings in them and watch the tolarances. I told them that I will check it when it arived here and if its not sealed much better It will go right back into the mail back to them.

Heres the stupid part. He says they all leak. I told him this RRs crank measures 6.91MM and the bearing is 7MM my old 4.1F usues the same bearing and the crank was 6.97MM so how about these tolorance issues. Sorry but .09MM is pleanty to leak. My 4.1F didnt leak and it hit 450*F if they want to blame it on Overhearting.

For some reason I thought the customer was always right. All they should have said is send it in and we will make sure you get a great running engine back, weather its new or this one fixed. Well call you.

Am I not right?

I will NEVER buy a axial .. I have heard too many B.S stories about there crappy customer servise... YOU would never have this problem w/ RACERS EDGE !!!

i read when i was looking for engines that the front bearing on most of the axials were sh!ty and that u have to either call axial and get a new front bearing of buy an aftermarket one because sometimes axial would send you another dud bearing. then alot of people complained about air leaks so everything has to be sealed and like the sts engines the needles lean themselves out and it can destroy an ebgine is the needle leans itself out while tuneing and u don't catch it so i went with the dyanmite and haven't had any pronlems but ive only ran a little less than a gallon through it

HAHA, Ok got a call from Axial couldn't answer because of meeting at work but anyhow they have fixed the engine. Like I had thought they would they blamed it on me, they said that it was baked the thing is it never went over 320*F which is alot but not to the point they described. This gets even better they said the front bearing was rusted because of the water/dish soap test however for some reason we tend to drive our trucks threw puddles and wet grass and so on all the time with no rust on bearings. I just have to laugh what poor customer service. They said that they had to replace the button and sleeve because of temps.

O this gets better! If you look above I said that the engine was leaking between the crank and the bearing inside race, well he said that the problem was heat however he said they replaced the crank and the front bearing HUH that seems as there was a problem(Crank out of tollarence) he just doesnt want to admit to it.(This is described in an earlier post)

I guess they will get it in the mail back to me tomorrow they did fix it all includding the pullstart. However he said the warrenty doesn't cover the problem becuase it was temps but then said he would cover it under warrenty this time. Sorry but if it actually was temps there is no way they would take it up the :buttshake: to fix under warrenty.

The whole message stated it was my problem same as my recent phone conversation but for some reason they replaced some weard things and covered it under warrenty and if it actually was my fault there is no way they would have replaced anything.

As soon as I get it back I will do a leak test. If the thing still leaks like a sive I will call and they will have it back at there door step again. I will also measure the new crank and see if its larger than the 6.91MM I measured on the old crank.

PS> moral of the story I WILL NEVER BUY AN AXIAL AGAIN!!!!!! :resp:None here!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know but they just replaced parts, so it would still have to sell it as a used motor. So i wouldn't think it would bring much. What do you think I can get out of it? I can post pictures in a few days of it. Its in great shape and now has basicly all new internal parts.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.If you decide to get rid of it let me know.I'm looking for some parts thanx

HSN assembly broke off at the threads in my carb @ 6 tanks.

next night i found out my front bearing was leaking also @ 6 tanks.

ok the engine/carb come pre assembled from factory..

i had no reason to mess with the HSN where it attaches to the carb body since it was pre assembled. so why did it snap?!

"oh our warranty doesnt cover it since it didnt happen right out of the box or it wasnt broken when u opened the box"

then i was told the hellacious leak from my front bearing is normal..

HSN assembly broke off at the threads in my carb @ 6 tanks.

next night i found out my front bearing was leaking also @ 6 tanks.

ok the engine/carb come pre assembled from factory..

i had no reason to mess with the HSN where it attaches to the carb body since it was pre assembled. so why did it snap?!

"oh our warranty doesnt cover it since it didnt happen right out of the box or it wasnt broken when u opened the box"

then i was told the hellacious leak from my front bearing is normal..

HAHA once again. You got told that same **** i did. The bearing is tipical it leaks well OK I will give them the bennafit of the dought they maybe do leak a touch but not this bad. Plain and simple unless we are all stupid. I guess there not sure what an air leak is or what they do.

My sigguestion to you is do your research. Measure the crank and let me know what it is. mine was 6.91MM.

Also, who did you talk to a Paul Coleman or was it someone else.

If you want it replaced call back tomorrow and make a big deal out of it. Telling them you will ruen ther rep via forums and so on as these forums are a big deal, lots of people read them. These engines have huge issues and they arnt even willing to admit to it.

I would also tell them to replace atleast the needle and housing as most of the time thinks snap off where they meet because of overtightening when installed.

Z400--did you vote NO on my other thread about unhappy Axial RR owners.

its ridiculous dude,

its really not worth my time, I'm buying a front bearing from avid and the HSN is a $5 part

i talked to some african american soundin guy

Probably 80 to 100 bucks

you think I can seriously get this for this motor even if used a bit. Unless they maybe did just replace it but I dought it, as they stated that they fixed it and what parts they replaced.

its ridiculous dude,

its really not worth my time, I'm buying a front bearing from avid and the HSN is a $5 part

i talked to some african american soundin guy

I realize its not worth our time but the bit of time we put into it may save others later because they(Axial) will realize they will need better quality control and to use better parts. Hopefully!

yea thats cool

others are finding out before they buy.

i wish i would have found out before i made the purchase.

i buy my LRP .28 spec 3 next week

ya I wish I would have found out to as ive been fighting this thing for 3 months now and only have 3/4 of a gallon threw it. thats sad as I put 11 gallons threw the stock motor since I bought it early July.

yea i put exactly 10 gallons through my OS .18tm and my front bearing still wasnt leaking then, i just lost a crap load of compression

Yea motors go for a good price on eBay .. I sold a hpi .25 (said it had like 4 gallons on it and a stripped out back plate ... it sold for 55 bucks

its weird that the 28rr is having so many problems as i've read that the axial 28 spec engine was real reliable. i realize there different engines but you would think the 28rr would have similar reliabilty!!

Well It looks like i'm in the same boat after 1 gallon of fuel my axial28rr started leaking around to front bearing as well.I,m not even going to waste my time calling axial.I called Rick Brake (RB Mods)I told him my problem he told me to send it to him he would make it better than new.I should not have to worry about the bearing for a while.Oh yea hes going to mod the motor as well.I will let you know how it turns out :Xfingers:

Ha, Sorry Trix. Whats he going to do to fix it. Also what is he going to do to mod it and what does he charge. Ive heard these motors are tuned down because Axial was chicken about warrenty clames. Huh there plan back fired they have a bunch of warrenty clames anyway. From what ive heard they backed off the timing a bit to drop power.

Yea you were rite.Have you ever heard of RB Mods? Rick is one of the best in the biz.He can make loads of power out of just about any motor.I'm not quite sure what he does but it works and he is modding the front bearing with a lot better grade he says the factory bearing on any motor is junk! check him out rbmods.net :resp:

He told me $105.00 I don't think thats that bad considering it junk now and after it will be better than new

Crank/Bearing leakage my 2¢

I run a Axial .28Spec 1 not the RR, bought it just by chance as I cooked my pico .21, I really have to say sorry that you where haveing such an issue. I have seen this issue on a few motors both car and air craft (Pico, OS, Fox) and would like to offer my 2¢ .. At the rate your bubble machine puts out those bubbles I can see why your motor may have looked over heated to Axial as it would have caused a nasty vacume leak your ability to tune the motor would suck to say the least..

Here is a neat trick that works very well it anyone ever runs across this issue on almost any nitro motor

Go pick up some Yamaha Bond from a Yamaha Shop.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/apparel/apscitemdetail/3/123/all/1/360/detail.aspx
(The black should be the same as the old Grey Yamaha Bond, Not sure tho.)

Put a small (Very small) amount on the bearing surface on the crank
Let is stand for 3-5 Minutes this will differ +/- For higher elevations and temps. (It will start to form a thin skin like layer)

Insert the crank (Let it stand for 12-16 hours)

NOTE: Yamaha Bond will make one heck of a mess USE a Very small amout as it only needs to fill 2-6 Tho/inch

This will take the heat and does not break down when exposed to alcohol.
Works well in top fuel and 2 cycle gas, alcohol engines

PS. This will work on your carb as-well but will make it hard to remove but works great on the mounting screws/ cover plates. But don't put it on any fuel inlet or mixture screws.

Any how hopes this helps..

Latest posts

Members online

Back