Oily Axial RR! Is this the front main bearing leaking?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larsenracing

Manufacturer
Hey guys, I noticed that my Engine got oily today around the nose. This is on 1 tank of fuel and the engine was cleaned just before this run. Could it be the front main bearing?

Also, if the bearing is shot could this cause leaning issues?

EngineRR004.jpg

EngineRR006.jpg

How new is the engine ? that's ALLOT of flue for one tank .. do you have tuning issues ?
that would be from the front bearing

Thats is ? so your still breaking it in ? or did you mean gallon ?
also it does look like your carb is leaking at the base of the airfilter

I am having huge tune issues. I'm just trying to figgure out exactly what it is. A simplified example of my problem is, the engine is running 280-290 with out body and air temp of 52 Deg. and engine has a decent smoke trail and I'm not going threw any plugs however it seems pig rich as it bogs hard.

Is the motor sealed up good? I can't tell if it has been sealed from the pictures....

Yes it has been sealed well. I used a high temp sealent on the carb between block and carb, and on back plate. I have also used Associated Green Slim on all needles (LSN, MSN, HSN, Idle screw). I did this after about 1/2 gallon as I was having troubles with high temps. This didn't seem to help anything supprisingly enough.

Added: I also sealed around the pinch bolt very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Middle needle is flush at the stock setting. However, I have played with it some seeing if it would make a difference.

Do that test for air leaks that is shown in the link I posted .. your leaking at the front bearings thats for sure .... as far as a fix .. not sure this is one besides a new bearing ( there cheap) might wanna think about sending the motor back to axial. If your having problems w/ high temps and bearings leaking w/ only 3/4 of a gallon then. it might be a bad mill

Ya I will deffanetly call them and see if they will replace. That is my thoughts. This engine should be a decent mill with decent power and ive had nothing but problems. I will do the Air leak test right now. If I cant get anything out of Axial. I can get the bearing easily from my LHS he caries all Boca bearings (steel or rubber sealed). Oviously I would get the rubber sealed ones. But what is the easiest way to get the front bearing out?

There has been many people complaining about the Front bearings on the RR's. But shouldn't be after 3/4 of a gallon.

My buddy has the same issue with his axial 32. He has replaced bearing twice and so has axial. It has less than one gallon. I think the bearing sealing surface is out of round on the crankcase. Good luck

I would call axial first .. if you bake your engine to get the bearing out (that's what needs to be done) The heat might ruin your main bearing, then it will be a warranty void issue .. just call axial first. you don't wanna get screwed

Heat up your block to 250 degrees in an oven then push, more likely bang it out. Just use a little more care putting the new one in. Heat the block up and put the bearing in the freezer for 30 min. If it doesn't slip in, tap it lightly and take care not to hit the center of the bearing. Stop me if I'm lying guys. I would do what SJ says first.

How exactly are you pushing it or banging it out? Tanking the back plate off and pushing from the back side or are you just hitting the crank with front of engine down on the top of a table or something. Also, to bake should I take off the carb.

How exactly are you pushing it or banging it out? Tanking the back plate off and pushing from the back side or are you just hitting the crank with front of engine down on the top of a table or something. Also, to bake should I take off the carb.

You got it . use a wooden dowel or something to tap it out

Strip your block completely. Remove carb, o-rings in carb throat, anything you can. I would use any thing that would fit in there from the backside that won't damage anything else. I use a big aluminium nail I believe is used on rain gutters, don't know for sure where it came from but it's handy for sleeves too. I would also recomend cutting a 2x4 so the motor mounts catch it facing down. BE VERY CAREFUL. Use some finesse here, you could damage the mount tangs. Hit it out evenly and go back in evenly, or you could damage where it sits.

do you guys know that you can buy a proper tool for removing and replacing bearings in nitro motors that does not require heating up the block?....and when you do replace the bearing i suggest the use of locktite bearing and race retainer (green locktite)this product will help to seal the surfaces between the block and bearing..... this stuff works great (i use it every day at work ......well not every day but quite often)

True but I do want to be able to remove the bearing if it gets bad again. You speak of a tool specially for this, do you have a link of it.

Also, stay tuned as i did the leak test and have a video but waiting for it to download. I will post is as soon as it is done.

Nice bubble machine! Gonna have to do that to my engine and see whats up, soon as I get a new block to try it on. Second thought I'll get a new bearing to go in that block.

Latest posts

Members online

Back