Oily Axial RR! Is this the front main bearing leaking?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya its a pretty good bubble machine. I will call Axial but I really am debating on sending it back as they will just stick the same type of sh!ty bearing in it again and will have to send it back several times as others did. Should I just stick a Boca rubber sealed bearing in it?

True but what happens when it needs to be replaced again. I don't want to have the chance of breking something else taking it out next time.

well it has held up in diesel (semi-truck) engines i have worked on and elsewhere on them it has also has held up..... ive used it in may other aplications where things get hot as well.. such as in snomobile engines and gear boxes.....oh ya have used it on motorcycles (dirt bikes and quads too)it has NEVER failed on me in my near 20 yrs of using it....... btw NHRA guys use it too..... and me thinks some of those guys may use a lil nitro too

That is identical to my buddies axial .32. He has put two different bearings in it and it still leaks like big worm says. He is going to try replacing the inner bearing the next time along with the outer. Axial has to be having some machining issues because that is not the bearing leaking.

I'm thinking they are to. That is what my first question will be, is about the tolorances on the shaft as the bearings are 7mm and I measured the shaft last night with my Digital Caliper and it came out to be 6.91MM. My old F4.1 measures 6.95MM.

Allright this is sad, but with all my experience I have nevere taken one of these nitros apart as ive always cracked blocks and they had ususally around 7 gallons threw then so I just replaces. But I took my F4.1 apart using it as a dumbie engine to try this on, but am unable to get to the front bearing from the back side as i cant get the crank out. I am assuming i need to take the sleeve out but cant get it out. Is there a special way to get it out?

yup a zip tie in the exhaust port and a lil turn on the crank will get that sleeve moving......oh and by the way when i said inner race i was speakin of the part of the bearing that comes in contact with the crank.....n ot the inner bearing

Ya i understand. I will call Axial in the morning. I'm going to see if they will replace this thing with a new mill then probably end up selling it and buying a LRP. I have had nothing but trouble from the start with this thing. Many problems with the pullstarts breaking springs, and the hight temps (front bearing).

I am assuming i need to take the sleeve out but cant get it out. Is there a special way to get it out?
That's what I was reffering to with the aluminium gutter nail. The soft aluminium will take the abuse before the harder parts will, wood dowls just frustrated me. Heat up the block and work the sleeve out in a side to side fashion. Should also be useful with the bearing removal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope i guess not! But I'm sure debation on calling my LHS and haveing him just order me a LRP then he would have it in.

Look at the bright side, you got a purty green paper weight! Atleast till you get rid of it. I think after your experience and every thing I've heard, the LRP is the way to go.

You guys who have sent these things back. Who has gotten a new motor and if not did you try for one?

Axial Customer Service

Well I got a hold of them today and it will leave her UPS today. The way they made it sound is they will check it out, fix it, and send it back. I hope they just send me a new one and make me happy.

The sad thing is he tryed to turn it into my fault, they must think I'm stupid! They think it's all a heat issue, Come on guys(Axial), Fess up to the problem and deal with it. I won't mind if they get this thing fixed and in great working order as I think it couuld be a great engine, just fix the problems and put decent bearings in them and watch the tolarances. I told them that I will check it when it arived here and if its not sealed much better It will go right back into the mail back to them.

Heres the stupid part. He says they all leak. I told him this RRs crank measures 6.91MM and the bearing is 7MM my old 4.1F usues the same bearing and the crank was 6.97MM so how about these tolorance issues. Sorry but .09MM is pleanty to leak. My 4.1F didnt leak and it hit 450*F if they want to blame it on Overhearting.

For some reason I thought the customer was always right. All they should have said is send it in and we will make sure you get a great running engine back, weather its new or this one fixed. Well call you.

Am I not right?

Don't worry I wont give up they have no idea who I am. I will suceed even if its not with my motor. They can get a bad rep quick. Bring it!!!!!! Just ask my woman you guys think you will never win let me try! HaHa, JK!

Well the thing will leave here today. I sent it Ground so 4-5 days I really should have sent it 2 or 3 day air, stupid me. I will keep you guys posted about whats going on. I'm hopping for the best. Stay tuned.

They even had the guys to tell me that i have gone threw 5 pullstarts because I was pulling it to far. OK, this may be if i was pulling/breaking stings but the reason ive gone threw them is because the Springs are breaking. To me this is a quality issue. In my recent F4.1 I converted to pullstart right away because I hatted the huge rolo and I had 8 gallons threw it and never once had a problem with the pull start other than the OWB's. Also, same note I have been a avid snowmobiler and have pulled and tugged to start for years and years and have pulled it all the way out millions of time and never had problems with the springs same with lawn mowers, snow blowers, weed eaters and so on granted these items have a bit heaver duty pull starts but whatever I have crossed my point.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back