Nitro to LiPo race conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got some parts in today, everything but the battery boxes. I'm guessing they didn't fit in the package so he sent those separately and they got split up during shipping. I was debating on moving the ESC too the front for protection from the rear tower flexing but decided the carbon fiber wing mount should take 90% of the flex out of it and keep the ESC safe.
100_4053.jpg

100_4052.jpg

100_4051.jpg

Nice job on the build the lid looks awsome and frddy he has a 2.4 it looks like a spektrum rx in the truck and other page looks like a dx 2.0 radio

I have the old school Spektrum DX2 (DSM 1) and it has about an 8" antenna on the RXs. I have heard you could cut it down to 4" for racing but never saw the need to. I don't mind having an antenna on my trucks.

So I got my battery boxes in today and got them all mounted up. they feel very solid and I like the way the rubber flap fits behind the battery door release so it cant accidental get pushed and eject the battery. Or at least lessen the possibility of it happening.

I still need my batteries, ESC, motor and a strange curved brace/SG cover looking thing. I will be getting the brace and an RX cover of some kind but I will have to wait for taxes before I get my motor/ESC. Unless I decide to sell something else Rc related that can be replaced later on.

I also ordered a set of the HPI sway bars. I knew I was going to have to modify the lower arms to mount them but I figured it was worth a try. The mod actually turned out very well. I got all the holes centered and located roughly in the same location. The work really well. My only complaint is the purple on them is so thick I used easy Off on them 4 times and didn't do anything but dull the purple up a little bit. This is the first part (HPI or after market) that I haven't been able to get all the purple off of. Bummer but I guess it looks okay along with the blue arms...
100_4064.jpg

100_4065.jpg

I have the old school Spektrum DX2 (DSM 1) and it has about an 8" antenna on the RXs. I have heard you could cut it down to 4" for racing but never saw the need to. I don't mind having an antenna on my trucks.

So I got my battery boxes in today and got them all mounted up. they feel very solid and I like the way the rubber flap fits behind the battery door release so it cant accidental get pushed and eject the battery. Or at least lessen the possibility of it happening.

I still need my batteries, ESC, motor and a strange curved brace/SG cover looking thing. I will be getting the brace and an RX cover of some kind but I will have to wait for taxes before I get my motor/ESC. Unless I decide to sell something else Rc related that can be replaced later on.

I also ordered a set of the HPI sway bars. I knew I was going to have to modify the lower arms to mount them but I figured it was worth a try. The mod actually turned out very well. I got all the holes centered and located roughly in the same location. The work really well. My only complaint is the purple on them is so thick I used easy Off on them 4 times and didn't do anything but dull the purple up a little bit. This is the first part (HPI or after market) that I haven't been able to get all the purple off of. Bummer but I guess it looks okay along with the blue arms...
100_4064.jpg

100_4065.jpg

Nice build!!! As far as the purple pieces on the sway bars, I put them in a baggie and sprayed the eze off all over them and got them in a corner and just rolled them around with my fingers. Only took about 2 min till they were done. Rinsed them off and put them on a screw and tightened the grub screw down. Put the head of the screw in my cordless drill and a little polishing compound on a rag and one min later they look great!

I tried rubbing them together and brushing them with a toothbrush. I just gave up on it. I would try again but its probably not the best idea to pull them out of the plastic ball hinge piece once they are installed so I will just leave it for now. I might buy a second set and get those silver one way or another and sell these ones or keep them as spares.

Thanks for the polishing tip! I will give that a shot for sure.

I still have to wait till I get my tax returns before I will be able to do much else on it. My new steering servo will be $150, $300 for the motor/ESC combo and $130 worth of batteries should get me going nicely. I might be able to pick up my servo if I can sell one of my planes I'm trying to unload on Craigslist.
I did get my RX box squared away and the extra holes drilled in the TVPs to finish mounting the ESC/RX/servo plate so its nice and solid. But now I'm in a rut till I got more funds for the project together. I was also going to try and upgrade my radio to the newer Spektrum stuff but it doesnt look like funds will be available for that this time around.

100_4415.jpg

100_4420.jpg

Brushless is so much fun. No mess no noise its great I just finished converting my t maxx to brushless and now the savage is up next. With all the motor setups you can get why not do it.
Really nice Job on the build

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back