Newbie with a nightmare v2 octane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning all.

My names rob I'm new to this forum and have been spending the last few days gathering information from this site so i can put it to good use on my octane... Ill start from the start with my octane its been nothing but trouble since the day it came out of the box..

So about three weeks ago my brand new savage octane arrived at the cost of £675 delivered from wheelspin models ( i wanted the 5.9 xl but no stock )
Opened the box and both wheels where damaged the front one was cracked in half and hanging off and the rear one was bent. After 6 days of waiting and numerous phone calls to wheel spin models my 2 new wheels and tires arrived...
I fitted 2 new wheels filled with fuel and was ready for the fun to begin...
It ran a tank of fuel fine, refilled the tank and it wouldnt start at all. left it 10 mins and then it fired right up.. Managed another half a tank then the other rear wheel gave up by chewing the 17mm hex straight off the back....
After alot of calls i managed to find some wheels i could borrow so after the 80 mile drive to collect them i came home fitted the wheels topped up the tank and set out again..

This time it ran for about 5 mins then kept cutting out. i reset the carb back to factory settings as per the manual update it would start then instantly cut out. I tried every thing then the pull start decided to give up and jammed...
I then had to watch all my friends running ten year old nitros with no problems whilst my savage sat on the bank and watched....

This time i skipped the model shop and rang hpi uk help desk and spoke to a very nice chap called lee richardson.. Top bloke....

I ran through all my problems with him from starting issues to weak wheels and also said about the oil leaking out of the exhaust gasket and stained all the exhaust... He sent me the following free of charge..

4 x new wheels
4 x new tyres and glue
1 x cdi unit with 2014 dated on the back my version 2 still said 2012 on it.
1 x complete carb
1 x exhaust gasket set
1 x new pull starter complete

Parts arrived monday this week but i haven't had the patience to even fit these parts, i removed the engine and turns out the pull starter jammed because the nut had come off the back of the engine just shows hpi attention to detail on quality control........

It worries me that i have a nearly 700 quid truck in bits when its only ran less than 2 tanks of fuel through it.. I have a 11 year old thunder tiger thrashed to death and it runs a dream and gives me more smiles per gallon....

Its left a massive downer with me. To the point where i don't even want to try and fix it just incase its followed by more dissapointment..

Hpi did offer to have the truck collected and repaired by one of there so called network dealer but i explained to lee that I'm a fully qualified outboard mechanic so i know how to tune a carb and work a pull start so perhaps thats the reason as to why he didnt question any of my complaints and just sent the parts, or as my friend says maybe they just know there complete junk and offer any warranty claim with out question haha......

Any thing else i should be aware of guys before i start putting this back together.. Its a version 2 with chrome pipe etc i thought i should be problem free....

Thanks in advance for any help guys

Sorry for all the troubles. That would be a heart breaker to pay all that money and have that many problems. Sounds like one of those that was started on a Friday evening and finished on a Monday morning. Hope your luck turns around soon.

Got it back up and together today. I also adjusted to fly wheel sensor to the correct position.
Started and ran fine for about 3 mins then cut out and wouldn't start again.. I fitted yet another new plug and gapped it at 0.4 mm and it started straight up ran for 2 mins then chewed the tyre off the rim..
I'm thinking this octane isn't for me. I've lost all faith.

Yeah I'll swap mate. What you offering ?
The octane is going back to hpi tomoz apparantly they seam to think it's now a battery issue as they said the octane batteries are weak and not man enough to run the cdi unit.. So why send out a truck with incorrect batteries ??
If hpi are struggling as it is then I doubt the octane has helped at all....
Fingers crossed they can sort it out for me. Told them I don't want it back unless it runs perfectly...

That's the model I wanted but they had no stock ;-(

Mines being shupped back to hq tomoz and they have promised me a result within a week so fingers crossed..
If it comes back fixed then I'm selling it and getting a nitro

Just to keep any one who reads this in the picture who is also having problems with there octane. ..
I've fitted a new coil, new carb, reset the flywheel sensor rest carb to factory spec and fitted a new ngk spark plug..
It now runs for about 30 seconds then cuts out and won't go, leave it 15 mins it fires up then cuts again after a min or so..
I've tried all different carb settings, I've tried 3 new ngk plugs gapped at 0.3 0.4 and 0.5 still no good.
I also moved the coil pack to outside the battery box and still no different..
After a conversation with Lee at hpi uk he said that the batteris suplied with the truck are poor and in there test bench they have noticed it's enough to run the cdi but the battery simply can't keep up with the cdi demands and cuts out after switching off the car it some what recharges a little enough to re fire the car for a short while then dies again.
So he said on his own octane he has fitted 2 2500 Li-po batteries that fit in the battery box and since then never had a problem with it at all..
So wheelspin models have asked for me to return the truck so they can test it as they seam to think it's a engine problem not electrical
So I'll keep you guys posted on the out come so any fellow octane owners will know my exact symptoms and will see the exact fix !!!

Gone now. The model shop didn't want to repair or sell another octane ever again so they have removed them from there site now.
They swapped mine out for a traxxas revo and tonight I managed 2 hours of fun with no hassles more than I can say for the octane.

Any body looking to buy one forget it. Get a nitro savage or a revo. Loving the Bluetooth connection and all the features feels like I got a heap more for my money

Cool. Is your revo a nitro?
3.3 nitro... been out last night and had a complete blast with no issues what so ever and the power and handling is amazing.
Also loving the Bluetooth link. Can set most of the car up via your smart phone and have mph rpm and Speed and battery voltage all on one screen ;-)

I had the same issues as you. Less than 3 tanks and it wouldn't go. After stripping the hole thing down. I found the promlem. The magnet in the flywheel fell out. I will put the s, box back together tomorrow and hope for the best

Latest posts

Members online

Back