Need advise on the running of my engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkattack99

I'm running a picco with a MC 59 like Purenitro suggested running byrons 30% nitro iv almost got a gallon through this engine i accually got to run two tanks of fuel before i got tired and started to get cold outside. the beginning of the vid the engine wasn't running well at all then i reset the HSN and it started to run great still wouldn't go right back to idle after passes but was running better and then at the end it ran poorly again was making a funny sound when the throttle was applyed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCskkrFYWRk

sorry can't figure out how to post it so you don't have a link to click.

sounds like its lean at the end and the hsn needs a little ajusting to lean and lsn needs a richen also not good to run a hot plug on 30% try a cold plug like a mc 9 or 8 cant remember which is what lol also are you using a stock tank ? and did you start tuning right out of the box and go full tilt before fully broken in ?

well see i didn't think so either but Purenitro was very adiment about using the 59 while still in break in then move to a mc 8 for the performance tune unless he didn't know what percent i was using.

see thats were I'm confussed the HSN in the end were pretty close to were the needle was at the beginning of the of the vid I'm really confused about this then i highly riched on the end of the second tank.

i mid tanked my savage with a 250cc tank. i only adjusted the needles so it would say running for break in stock setting it wouldn't start at ALL even preheated. i have less then a quarter of a gallon left in the jug, i didn't start going full throttle till today (hope i explained that right) so just about out of the gallon i was using to break in the engine so iv got almost a gallong through it.

shark

i know i still have at least another gallon or so before it wakes up but what i was trying to do was get it tuned enough but still being rich enought to get the lube it needs but still keep it running so i can get said gallons thought it. hope that makes sence.

the not dropping to idle could be binding linkages or a weak throttle reutrn spring. as for the running very lean at the end of the video when you refilled the tank did you push the lid shut? or do the fuel lines have a hole in them?

yes i made sure the tank was shut i don't think there is any holes in the fuel line i will have to double check to make sure though.

There is nothing wrong with breaking in a picco with a MC 59 and 30% nitro, hundreds of people have done it without issue. Is your idle gap set to .5mm? if not it lets in too much air and will create a high idle. The thing you have to remember is these engines need heat to run properly, they will also ALWAYS run rich until they get to operating temps. If you adjust the needles before the engine has reached a good running temp, it WILL lean out when it does get to a good temp. Sound to me like your trying to tune it while it's still cool and it's then leaning out when it gets to temp, running in cold weather can intensify this effect quite a bit. I would get it running, get it heated up fully and THEN start tuning it so it runs well at that temp. It doesn't look like there is anything wrong in your vid other then the tune is off imo.

yeah i thought so, but yes my gap is set to .5mm but that may have been my problem the cold cause it barly got to 200 both tanks, so what is a good operating temp to start tuning? should i wrap the head in foil?

It really is a crap shoot in the winter, the average temp the engine should run at on an average spring/summer day is 220F-260F you should try and get it over 200F before twisting needles unless it is too lean to begin with. Wrapping the head does work but again, who knows how many fins to cover to get the perfect temp? I don't run new engines in the winter, if you have an old engine I would throw it in until the warmer weather comes, then toss in the picco and finish the break-in.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back