My Mid-Tanked XSS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRUSADER

Newb here. Thanks to one of the pukes I work with, I'm hooked again & getting back into R/C. I decided that a SAVAGE XSS was a good place to start. Here's what I wound up with:

Front Suspension ...

P1020650.jpg

A little closer ...

P1020653.jpg

Rear Suspension ...

P1020630.jpg

P1020628.jpg

This truck is Mid-Tanked. I used the FLM Extended Chassis Kit ...

P1020679.jpg

I decided to upgrade to the hubs ...

P1020896.jpg

I had to do some mods to the FLM Bulkheads in order to fit the new CEN radio/battery box ...

P1020677.jpg

P1020669.jpg

P1020665.jpg

Here's the rolling chassis:

P1020678.jpg

Completed Chassis ...

P1020978.jpg

P1020971.jpg

P1020996.jpg

I have Pro-Line's new VW Baja shell ready for paint, but I had'nt painted a Lexan body in many years ... so I decided to get some practise with the shell HPI includes in the Savage XSS kit ...

Front.jpg

P1030183.jpg

P1030124.jpg

P1030136.jpg

P1030155.jpg

P1030157.jpg

P1030139.jpg

P1030171.jpg

I have an STS .30 v2 on the way ...

DANG no comments yet? I'm surprised I like the build you'll be happy with the choice of parts. I also like the way you stripped all the purple off all the parts, look slick.

Thanks man. I guess nobody loves the n00b :(

But ... yeah ... purple ... not too cool, imho. Whay not just ano everything the same color as the TVP's, ya know? I like that grey color. The aluminum was alot of work - what a ****, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree on the purple. Who is HPI trying to appeal to? Girls? Not saying girls can't own savages but the choice of purple doesn't make sense to me.

Nice build. Yeah, I feel the same way about the purple color. I think I only have two peices left on my truck that are purple. I just don't feel like striping them. Nice "practice" paint work on the body, came out real good. Also, what castor blocks and steering hubs are those? Just getting ideas of what I want to do next.:10:

which CEN rig is the battery box from? I've been trying to figure out a good box for my FLM EXT truck...

have you run the truck yet and are those shocks from the muggy or aftershock. awesome built truck

The radio/battery box is from a CEN Talon NX. The CEN part number is FF007. I tracked it down on eBay ... cheeeeeep!

Those are LOSI "AFTERSHOCK" shocks. Size-wise, they are all the same. The difference is in the materials used in manufacture. Mine are black plastic. Other LOSI shocks are aluminum. The springs are from RC Raven.

Have I run it? Well, yes ... yes I have. Wanna see a video? Or two??

I thought the suspension looked familiar just couldn't picture from where. I was thinking about getting the suspension conversion kit a while ago, but decided against it. Also, where would the vid be located at?

Soooooo ... who thinks it still looks COOL?

"Mr. Savage, meet Mr. Flowmaster"

LMFAO!!

P1000103.jpg

P1000105.jpg

P1000106.jpg

P1000107.jpg

P1000108.jpg

P1000111.jpg

P1000113.jpg

My radio (Futaba 3PK) quit responding. After this crash, I traced it to a loose battery plug #%$@!!

The suspension is actually all fixed now. I'm waiting on some transmission parts, though. While trying to adjust the three speed, I busted a few things (F'ing Locktite!) HAHAHA!

a! well cool bunch of parts as crash said!
4x4

Didnt Your Mother Ever Teach U Not To Drink And Drive?? Lmao Just Kidding With Ya!! Nice Ride Though, Well It Was That Is! Now U Get To Rebuild It!! Thats The Fun Part Right?????

Hmmmm ... wow ... this thread seems to be getting a little more attention, so I'll post an update ...

As I mentioned in my last post in this thread, my SAVAGE is now all fixed up - better than before, actually.

The NitroStar 4.6 that comes with the XSS kit is gone. I put a little over one gallon on it. I had problems with it from the very beginning. It just would not hold a tune. It ran ok, just not very consistantly. Since this is my first Nitro R/C, I figured it was just me. Makes sense, right? Well, as I got closer to the "One Gallon" mark, I decided to buy an STS .30 v2. I read about how the STS engines need some extra attention in order to run well ... sealing, Green Slime on the o-rings, Teflon tape on needle threads, stuff like that. Well, in anticipation of doing this to the STS engine, I did some of the same things to the NitroStar engine. What a tremendous difference sealing makes!! Unfortunately, the ol' NitroStar died just two tanks after I sealed it up. Initially, it was running fantastically right after I sealed it up. Then it just quit running. I called it a day. When I got it home, I took it all apart again. Turned out that a part of the piston skirt decided it didn't like being inside the engine anymore & it tried to escape. Yep, busted piston.

So I switched over to the STS .30 that I had sealed up. I was putting off using it. Everything I read mentioned the looooooong break-in time required for these engines, in addition to being tempermental. Since I had no choice now, I picked up a new gallon of O'Donnells 20%, installed the STS, and went to work breaking it in. I used the heat cycle method, as recommended by the dude I bought it from on eBay. It took EXACTLY one gallon to break it in. I am now in the process of dialing it in. I'll tell you what - this thing flies. Once I get it tuned right ... scary fast!! I also had to adjust my 3 Speed's shift points a bit. Great engine so far. I'm really happy with it & ya can't beat it price wise ... $119 shipped to my door!!!

In anticipation of some serious jumping (and just to see if it would work), I mounted a second set of shocks on the rear of the truck. I did it as a goof, I realize that it is complete overkill & totally not necessary, but it sure looks cool. Check it out now ... LMFAO

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

P1000176.jpg

P1000174.jpg

P1000179.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Back