More Problems!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammer

Hey Guys,

Went out for another run today. Diffs are all good, really good in fact.

BUT!

Towards the end of the second tank of fuel it started to carry on revving even with the throttle trim fully off and no throttle applied. I stopped the engine and popped the body off and started to have a look around and I noticed that when the throttle server actuated the carb was actually moving a little with it!!! I'm 100% sure this isn't right and sort of explains the continued throttling as the carb wouldn't be as tightly sealed leaking air into the chamber ... i think? makes sense to me.

What do I need to check? I guess there is some way of reseating this and tightening it up with the hex screw on the exhaust side of the engine?

Also my savage seems to be intermittently hitting second gear, sometimes it will sometimes it wont and it seems a bit late in kicking in most times too. I guess this need some adjusting in the gearbox?

Any advice is great! TIA.

if the carb is lose, look at where it mounts to the engine. there should be a hex screw there.losen it a little, push the carb down and make sure it is seted good, and tighten it.
that would allso be your tranny prob 2, more than likely. as the motor running properly has a lot to do with the tranny switching grears 2
Once you reseat the carb and tighten it it should tune and run like it is supost to. goog luck hope this helps

oh and if it is the plastic carb sometimes the metal ring attached to it (where it sits into the engine)comes loose fron the carb (ive seen it happen to 2 of my brothes savy and my bro-in laws as well)and if that is the case the only fix it to replace the carb or use a good quality epoxy to glues the ring back on(the epoxy worked good on the 3 i fixed)

thanks for all the input guys!! Will look into this tomorrow ... i'm sure this is easily fixable.

this all makes sense in relation to the gear changes as well ...

oh and if it is the plastic carb sometimes the metal ring attached to it (where it sits into the engine)comes loose fron the carb (ive seen it happen to 2 of my brothes savy and my bro-in laws as well)and if that is the case the only fix it to replace the carb or use a good quality epoxy to glues the ring back on(the epoxy worked good on the 3 i fixed)

sorry I'm not quite getting what you mean ...

do you mean I need a new carb?

i'm actually a bit confused by the carb setup.

I've loosened the hex nut on the exhaust side of the engine and tried to push the carb down but it wont budge at all ... i've not removed the hex as winding it either clockwise or anticlockwise is continuous ... it doesn't see to actually be moving at all. is this normal? if so, how on earth do you get it totally unscrewed? the other end of it is flat with no way of gripping it.

also, looking at the carb again and actuating the throttle servo the carb isn't moving at all ...

Hi All,

Man this is so frustrating. I'm getting a bit disillusioned with my Savage already. I've only had it a few weeks, not bashed it at all really and it just keeps breaking on me. Can't say i'm very impressed so far. What with both diffs collapsing the first time I used it after break in to now my carb flopping out of the engine ... anyway, any thoughts on these pictures would be really great. What do I need to do to get this back on the road again?

http://www.jammer.biz/savage/carb.html

The tube coming out of the carb looks damaged, am I right in thinking that? And the hex screw in the last picture (outlined in red) just turns and turns without going anywhere ... is that normal?

thanks for any input.

ok np, its a two peace locking set up. first losen the hex bolt under the carb, a few turns. take a screw driver or somethen you can tap the allen wrench with or tap the hex bolt. as you do this look at the other side, the flat end opposit should be flush or barly sticking out. now grab the carb it should move, go ahead and wiggle it out. check the o ring and throttle body. if all is fine replace. to replace use a little light oil on the carb, look and see if the lock is centered. now wiggle it back on till its flush with the crankcase.
befor you lock it down, hook up the linkage,make sure it is not binding. set it where you want lock the hex down and your done.
do not crank the hex with a lot of tork, you could dammage the carb.

Hi chap,

i've gotten the carb out already and I think it looks damaged ... not sure tho ...

carb2.png

thanks chap, but damn ... honestly, this thing has been off the road more than its been off road!! hardly used, really gentle run in, gently used. its 3 weeks old and so far i've had 2 collapsed diffs and now a knackard carb ...

thing i'm now worried about is where did the plastic go that's broken off the carb??

dude sad to say but i think you must have the worst luck in the world at this stuff......worse than mine even...but I'm thinkin that yer hobby shop owner should be slapped up side the head for still selling stock that is that old......and kicked in the nutsack for sellin it to a newbie.....the out of the box savage has come a looooooonnnnngggggg way from the savage .21

indeed ... this is truly bad luck innit ... i'm gutted to be honest. here's me thinking about hop ups and i'm spending money just to keep it working ...

i'm going to speak to the shop again tomorrow and see what they say. i've only put a handful of tanks of fuel through this carb ...

just out of interest how old do you think this stock is?

Jammer, I beleave HPI is still mfg. these 21 as a less expensive unit.
marketing to certain area's.

I have never seen that version in the states. In years,

really!! ...

that is annoying! I guess this must be really old stock that's been kicking around for a while ... i'm so gutted at the moment. I've found the part that I need to get to fix it ...

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?CallFunction=ShowSpecification&ItemID=23061

I'm just hoping that the model shop take pity on me and send one for free or offer to service the truck for me and sort out this problem. I'm a bit of a newbie to all this and stripping a carb is probably something that needs a bit of experience to get right ...

well I'm kinda new to the savage world myself only been around them just over a year.... but I'm pretty sure that the 21 has been discontinued here in canada for like 2 or 3 years........

Jammer, I beleave HPI is still mfg. these 21 as a less expensive unit.
marketing to certain area's.

weird thing is looking at all the carbs on the modelsport site this one appears to be the most expensive!

£56.99 for the complete .21 replacement carb ... or £20.99 for the bit I need ...

considering how long i've had this and how little use its had I think this should come under the warranty ...

well I'm kinda new to the savage world myself only been around them just over a year.... but I'm pretty sure that the 21 has been discontinued here in canada for like 2 or 3 years........

gotcha ... thats a long time in this world!

Yeah look at these prices ...

.21 complete carb - £56.99
4.6 complete carb - £41.99
T15 complete carb - £31.99
5.5mm complete carb - £43.99
4.6mm complete carb - £37.99
6mm complete carb - £44.99

making mine (the first one) the most expensive carb on the modelsport site!!! how does that work if its also the oldest?

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.p...acturer&ManufacturerID=18&CategoryID=99104030

hey jammer I would try writing hpi, tell them what's all going on, you have a receipt from when you bought it. they might hook you up.
You have the .21 version, should be a good truck, not as good as the newer rigs, but still.
I think they still sell that model overseas, discontinued here in the states.maybe ask around on the forum's, someone over in the UK probly has 1 a .25 carb might work as well. .

I was looking for my old hpi 25 carb to see if it would work, its broke in same place. wierd

I still have my hpi 25 carb that I saved and it in perfect shape. I use to use it on my xtm 457 when I had to reduce power. Its your if you want it.

The mechanic in me is wondering what caused this in the first place. Is it some kinda mechanical thing, crankshaft, or is it over heating? I would find the root of the problem before I throw more parts at it. What are your thoughts on what caused this Crash?

put it this way, the savage x 4.1 is a way newer version then the 21 and its discontinued already in alot of places!!

I still have my hpi 25 carb that I saved and it in perfect shape. I use to use it on my xtm 457 when I had to reduce power. Its your if you want it.

i don't know what to say!!!!! what an amazing offer chap!! really appreciate that. If its ok I will get on to the model shop I bought it from first and see what they say about it. This really should come under the warranty as far as I can tell.

If they get all arsey on me I would love to take you up on your offer. In that case I think it would be worth chatting to HPI as well as someone else has suggested.

It would also make a lot of sense to try and work out what has been happening in order to make this happen.

What are the possibilities for causing this??

thanks again chap, so good of you to offer!!

I would stay away from the 4.1 or the 4.6. I had the 4.1 in my X. My friend had the 4.6. both were burned in about 5-6months. Please keep in mind these engines are probably made in China. It was my first nitro, but my friend has 12 years of nitro experience. We are both using O.S.30VG's. I've got two gallons through mine, still runs great. As for the diff problem, you really have to take them apart to fill them with oil, mine only had a light smearing of grease in them. Peace.

I just got off the phone with the model shop. I sent them some links to the photos I took and they commented on never having seen this sort of damage before.

They've asked me to send them the entire engine for them to take a look at ... I'll whip it out tonight and send it off tomorrow ...

Latest posts

Members online

Back