modding stock shocks for better control

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice ..i just mentioned the 30 wt cause i seen some ppl use multi wt oil such as 10\20 or 10\30 ect ect ... witch is fine but changes thickness depending on temps.. where as a single wt oil stays fairly consistant in dampining at different temps ... thats why i mentiond i use 30 wt.. it seems to be a pretty good all round oil wt..tc glad to help.

hey max i just got it done!!! i am very happy and thank you!!! the proof is in the pudding so here are the before and after's!! i am soooo happy with this

BEFORE I COULD NOT KEEP IT ON ALL FOURS

newbody11.jpg

newbody211.jpg

AND NOW THAT I CAN

mynitro039.jpg

mynitro036.jpg
:highfive:

look @ the before and after pics my savy is ALOT lower.. the truck hardly ever flips anymore you will love it!!

yes use the rubber bushing in the shock boot the truck will be level and wont roll.i did mine and i can turn at full throttle without rolling it over

Awesome write up guys! I did this mod when I got home today and let me just say... Its sweet! Handles great and I got NO roll overs! Ill post pictures in the morning!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I use to fill my shocks as well as lube other areas of the chassis! You can get them at any Farm Supply store for a couple bucks and you can get several for different wt oils for different applications! BTW awesome mod, REP for you..
dsc0128h.jpg

Another type of tubing to use instead of RC fuel tubing, which has a tendency to compress over time, which results in unequal shock length, is automotive fuel, vacuum, or windshield tubing. It's alot thicker and strong and holds a consistant length forever. You can also use the same tubing as a replacement for the shock stopper that goes on the shaft on the outside of the shock body.

Awesome post! Thanks for the tip, just did mine and can't wait to take it out tomorrow for a bashing session to see how the handling difference is. I'm sure with all the good replies it will be a huge difference. Only one question, would it be a good thing to change out the springs or will the stock springs work the same?

thx. i used stock springs on most mine .. and it works out great .. compresses the spring when shortened and makes it seem to act the same as if jumping it ... i think if you used softer springs it would create more body roll again ... witch defetes the reason of the mod ..so use stock ones youll like it ...good luck happy bashing.

Thanks I'm using the stock ones, just wanted to see if there might have been something with it or not since no one else had asked yet.

Alright I'm going to stick with the stock for now. At least till I get finished with the flux conversion and use my nitro for the basher.

nice... glad it helped .. workes even better when paird with some better tires n wheels than stock junkers ...it lets you really have some wot fun for sure...

Oh, no I got a different set of tires and wheels. I put the new HPI dirtdogz and the HPI dish rims on too. Really helps dig into the dirt a lot better than the stock ones do.

Latest posts

Members online

Back