modding stock shocks for better control

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maximusraylius

i know alot of ppls done this and know how to do it ..theres new ppl that might not so i figured since i was building 24 shocks i might as well take pics and make a how to thread for ppl thats new to rc.... its very simple ... i used thick fuel line .. 1/2 in lengths work good for me make sure all 8 peices are exact same lingth ...place it on the shock shaft inside the shock body as shown in the pics I'm adding to this post.. very simple but very effective way to get better control out of stock shocks ...not as much roll over on them wide WOT'S wide open turns. just unscrew the tops of the shocks off. then take the shock ends off ..i use a heavy pair of plyers to hold the shock shaft tight don't scar it up .. then unscrew the end off the shaft slide shaft up out of the shock body. then place tubeing onto shaft slide snug against piston . replace back into shock body fill with oil....i use car oil 30wt but I'm in the desert where its hot so works fine for me.. use what you think is best for you.. pump the rod up n down slowly getting air bubbles out then finish filling i leave aproxamately 1/8th inch from top of shock body then place the cap back on... test it to se if its over filled if it is take lil more out... youll know its over filled if the shafts hard to compress all the way and it comes out by itself... not enough oil itll have a air pocket in it you can feel... should be smooth... when all is done it shuld make the a arms parralell with the ground hope this helps someone out i do it to all my shocks love it ... another thing i do.. i use different things for shock oil so i don't have to buy that expensice rc car shock oil i use regular 30wt car oil in my shocks .. it don't harm them in any way that ive ever noticed been doing that for yrs in my stadium trucks. its cheap for a whole quart and can fill 100 shocks a quart compared to 8 shocks takeing up two bottles of rc shock oil.. ife tried car oil... dish soap... transmision fluid witch i don't recomend its so thin your truck bounces like mad.. cooking oil. baby oil. things of that sort.. but my favoret is the 30wt car oil.. it has a nice smooth feel and loads up nice in high impact when jumping it helps the bottoming out ...hope this info helps you all out.. its kinda hill billy but hey so am i:) lol good luck happy bashn...

1/2 ench fuel tubeing
060509_113000.jpg

place it onto shock shaft snug it down to the piston
060509_113001.jpg

stock length of shock next to the modded length shock on the right.
060509_1131002.jpg

one my trucks with a arms level with ground
041109_142801.jpg

i use these kinda bottles to put the oil in my shocks .. don't laugh lol I'm sure if yall got a lady in the house ..in my case 2 of um .. lol youve seen the revlon hair dye bottles in the trash can.. they work awesome for refilling shock oil. so do the picnic mustard and ketchup bottles as well...
061509_183400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
looks good Max

just did the same to my Big Bores yesterday I used a 3/4 inch piece of fuel tubing

humppack006.jpg

Very nice tutorial!

Instead of fuel tubing, you can also use the rubber shock stopper that you find on the end of the shock shaft. It doesn't bend as much and works great.

I found a picture of it on Google. It's the rubber piece on the shock shaft.
underhood35.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thread maximusraylius! I moved it to the Suspension/Shocks/Handling Forum.

ok cool thx fx.... good idea coby but i leave the rubber stopper on my shocks so when it bottoms out it don't hit hard enough inside to mess things up but yeah looks like a good idea... i use thick fuel line so it don't have that much give to it and don't get soft or messed up....

I did this mod yesterday and took my savy out for a bash session, I noticed I was turning corners faster with little body roll and found it was a bit harder to flip her over. Thanks!

I've been modding my shocks like this as well for a few months now (also with the rubber stops instead of fuel line, I bought some as spare parts, they're cheap). The thing with fuel line is that I've read reports of them dissolving due to the oil and strain applied to them.

Its not only about the improved handling for me though, its also that bent shock shafts are a thing of the past now since the shaft cant extend all the way anymore and thus does not have the chance to get stuck so easily.

i know alot of ppls done this and know how to do it ..theres new ppl that might not so i figured since i was building 24 shocks i might as well take pics and make a how to thread for ppl thats new to rc.... its very simple ... i used thick fuel line .. 1/2 in lengths work good for me make sure all 8 peices are exact same lingth ...place it on the shock shaft inside the shock body as shown in the pics I'm adding to this post.. very simple but very effective way to get better control out of stock shocks ...not as much roll over on them wide WOT'S wide open turns. just unscrew the tops of the shocks off. then take the shock ends off ..i use a heavy pair of plyers to hold the shock shaft tight don't scar it up .. then unscrew the end off the shaft slide shaft up out of the shock body. then place tubeing onto shaft slide snug against piston . replace back into shock body fill with oil....i use car oil 30wt but I'm in the desert where its hot so works fine for me.. use what you think is best for you.. pump the rod up n down slowly getting air bubbles out then finish filling i leave aproxamately 1/8th inch from top of shock body then place the cap back on... test it to se if its over filled if it is take lil more out... youll know its over filled if the shafts hard to compress all the way and it comes out by itself... not enough oil itll have a air pocket in it you can feel... should be smooth... when all is done it shuld make the a arms parralell with the ground hope this helps someone out i do it to all my shocks love it ...

1/2 ench fuel tubeing
060509_113000.jpg

060509_113001.jpg

060509_1131002.jpg

041109_142801.jpg

Would this be a good idea to do on a Savage XL?

yes it works good on any of the savy serries if your wanting it to not roll over so easy.. you will like it and don't be affraid of the lower stance it gives the truck... bash guards are made for bashing :) good luck let me know if you dio it and how you like it ...

awsome info guys!!! geez i love this place!! lol

TY, Max, and Sudi, i used both of your threads to mod my shocks, i have only had my savage X for a lil over a month, looks harder than it actually is, great post for the both of you, the one thing i wanted to add, i used a ear wax remover bulb to fill the shocks up, works great for little effort, so if you think you cant do it, read it again and just do it!

Badhabit75

i know alot of ppls done this and know how to do it ..theres new ppl that might not so i figured since i was building 24 shocks i might as well take pics and make a how to thread for ppl thats new to rc.... its very simple ... i used thick fuel line .. 1/2 in lengths work good for me make sure all 8 peices are exact same lingth ...place it on the shock shaft inside the shock body as shown in the pics I'm adding to this post.. very simple but very effective way to get better control out of stock shocks ...not as much roll over on them wide WOT'S wide open turns. just unscrew the tops of the shocks off. then take the shock ends off ..i use a heavy pair of plyers to hold the shock shaft tight don't scar it up .. then unscrew the end off the shaft slide shaft up out of the shock body. then place tubeing onto shaft slide snug against piston . replace back into shock body fill with oil....i use car oil 30wt but I'm in the desert where its hot so works fine for me.. use what you think is best for you.. pump the rod up n down slowly getting air bubbles out then finish filling i leave aproxamately 1/8th inch from top of shock body then place the cap back on... test it to se if its over filled if it is take lil more out... youll know its over filled if the shafts hard to compress all the way and it comes out by itself... not enough oil itll have a air pocket in it you can feel... should be smooth... when all is done it shuld make the a arms parralell with the ground hope this helps someone out i do it to all my shocks love it ... another thing i do.. i use different things for shock oil so i don't have to buy that expensice rc car shock oil i use regular 30wt car oil in my shocks .. it don't harm them in any way that ive ever noticed been doing that for yrs in my stadium trucks. its cheap for a whole quart and can fill 100 shocks a quart compared to 8 shocks takeing up two bottles of rc shock oil.. ife tried car oil... dish soap... transmision fluid witch i don't recomend its so thin your truck bounces like mad.. cooking oil. baby oil. things of that sort.. but my favoret is the 30wt car oil.. it has a nice smooth feel and loads up nice in high impact when jumping it helps the bottoming out ...hope this info helps you all out.. its kinda hill billy but hey so am i:) lol good luck happy bashn...

1/2 ench fuel tubeing
060509_113000.jpg

060509_113001.jpg

060509_1131002.jpg

041109_142801.jpg

i use these kinda bottles to put the oil in my shocks .. don't laugh lol I'm sure if yall got a lady in the house ..in my case 2 of um .. lol youve seen the revlon hair dye bottles in the trash can.. they work awesome for refilling shock oil. so do the picnic mustard and ketchup bottles as well...
061509_183400.jpg

i saw this post i have the upgraded hpi threaded shocks dose this methoed work how much fuel line in each shock i whant to try this seeing when i corner my truck rolls at least 4 times getting tired of buying body post

Yes it'll work in the threaded shocks. The tubing length depends on how much shorter you want it to be. 1/2 inch tubing = 1/2 inch shorter, etc.

yes it works with any shock .. exactly like coby stated 1/2in =1/2 shorter .. i say push your truck down so the a arms are level see how far down it has to go to get that way then use that as a guide to cut the fuel line ...youll notice a huge difference in the roll over once your done .. good luck happy bashn

Very nice tutorial!

Instead of fuel tubing, you can also use the rubber shock stopper that you find on the end of the shock shaft. It doesn't bend as much and works great.

I found a picture of it on Google. It's the rubber piece on the shock shaft.
underhood35.jpg

i just did this shock mod today.i used the rubber stopper this is a great mod it took about a hour and was very easy the hardest part was the cleanup all the shock oil great mod

shock mod

i also did this shock mod.i run a os 30 witch makes this savage scream, i used to roll over all the time unless i applyed the brakes.i used the stock shock spacers and baby oil instead of shock oil i took it out yesterday i can now take turns at 3/4 throtle with no body roll. full throtle it whants to lift the front wheels up to start a roll.but i cant seem to roll it good for me less parts i need to buy VERY GOOD AND CHEAP MOD

re shock mod

it works great i know can fully take a turn at full throtle without it rolling

hey max i just got it done!!! i am very happy and thank you!!! the proof is in the pudding so here are the before and after's!! i am soooo happy with this

BEFORE I COULD NOT KEEP IT ON ALL FOURS

newbody11.jpg

newbody211.jpg

AND NOW THAT I CAN

mynitro039.jpg

mynitro036.jpg
:highfive:

awesome nitromite glad another person got the use out of the mod .. and your truck looks killer to... and don't worry about it bottoming out ... the shocks springs are compressed so its a lil stiffer already and as it slams down its golden ... same as if it was in stock form.. when i do that mod i use 30 wt in the shocks but its hot here so it works out nice..have fun happy bashn...

Yeah i did the same mod about a week back i used vaccum tube about 2 cm lenght and 10w 30 engine oil and what a difference i can almost corner at wot good cheap mod for good results thats why this is the best forum going

Latest posts

Members online

Back