Making my own D8 bodies.. (SICK OF PAYING DA MAN)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you build your own vacuum box? Or do you have a commercial one?

Did you build your own vacuum box? Or do you have a commercial one?

Home job... Plywood, 2x3's N 1x4's ripped to 1x2 supports on top for the peg board. These molds get heavy. I put the vac hole in the bottom of the base seeing I'm using the kitchen oven. I'm going to split my kitchen table (add a leaf area) run my vac up threw that and have a "stand" for the former. That way I'm up off the floor w/o a big set up I can toss in the closest when in not using it. Cheap to build. I used construction scraps I had left over from building renovations, left over sheet rock screws, scrap piece of peg board from the hardware store down the road who did a renovation too...

So far I'm in this for the cost of the Plaster Of Paris and poly "lexan". Also a tube of construction adhesive. I do still need to buy some tape - duct or foil to seal the box top for the size frame for this mold. I built the box 24x24 to do larger body's in the future. The D8 is 12 x 24 and the 24 side is long as well....

Pics coming I'm letting this stir up a bit get comments and what not. Guys are not posting so I'm sharing this project to get some activity going on the boards and maybe get more guys doing simple things like this that save money (in the long run). This saves nothing up front !

Note:
I also may take the peg board off and drill up a piece of plywood depending. The vac strains w/o the plastic on it. Its a 6.25 HP shop vac. I want it to get full flow w/o the obstruction so I know I get full pull on the piece I'm forming.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the vac box. Remade this one today. Didnt like the flex in the one I made with peg board.

DSC_0044.jpg

Talk about work... Ill never do this again in 90* heat

Drill grid

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

I took and stepped up the tops of the holes as if drilling them all once was not enough..

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

Glued and screwd...
DSC_0034.jpg

Vac port
DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

messing with it ... Click it.. Had to see if it had good suction, I cracked this body in the process doh ..

lol thats got some suction. sweet project buddy, nice when a plan comes together eh?

Cant wait to see it in action. Sorry for being a nag

In that case hurry up already...:smiliejam:. I cant wait to see it in action. Already gathering the materials to make one.

In that case hurry up already...:smiliejam:. I cant wait to see it in action. Already gathering the materials to make one.

Sweet!! My only limit is my oven.. Can't fit sc bodies. I want to make a heat hood to do the poly so I can go larger and get out of the kitchen...

Nice Justin i found a local place here in the hammer that sells 24x24 sheets of 0.04 polycarbonate for $5 rockout

do you have a way of doing different sizes or Polycarbonate on the same vacuum box or is it going to be all the same size?

BTW looks great so far

do you have a way of doing different sizes or Polycarbonate on the same vacuum box or is it going to be all the same size?

BTW looks great so far

that can do from 1 of the lil holes up to all of them. You seal off what your not using. that will do anything up to a EXT savage body. I didn't build it past what my oven can do or I would have made it up to a short course body .. As I said above next I'm making a stand alone heater for the Polycarbonate. after that Ill make a new box to do up all my bodys. I have no interest in 5th scale to big and clumsy for me. As far as savage bodys go, I don't use them lol .. Only thing I need shells on are my race trucks for the track ..

i love construction adhesive

This is the vac box. Remade this one today. Didnt like the flex in the one I made with peg board.

DSC_0044.jpg

Talk about work... Ill never do this again in 90* heat

Drill grid

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

I took and stepped up the tops of the holes as if drilling them all once was not enough..

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

Glued and screwd...
DSC_0034.jpg

Vac port
DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

messing with it ... Click it.. Had to see if it had good suction, I cracked this body in the process doh ..

Awesome job Justin:salute::salute::salute:

yep worked out good.. WAY too many holes to drill by hand though, then bevel out.

BOX :nutshot: ME

I know it's too late for this info but it might be helpful for someone else, you can buy a countersink attachment to go on a drill bit to do both at the same time...Just FYI...

I know it's too late for this info but it might be helpful for someone else, you can buy a countersink attachment to go on a drill bit to do both at the same time...Just FYI...

lol I have one ... Where I have no clue but in one of the trucks there is a new package of 3. Only helps if the truck in in the yard though.

so are we just waiting for the poly now to see how it actually works or are you holding out on us freddy style?

Makes yea wonder, don't it ?

How is it going are you making bodies yet?

No MOnday I called on my poly order to be told it just was shipped that day. 1 week 3 days later... they refunded my shipping anyways.. Should have late this week...

Latest posts

Members online

Back