Making my own D8 bodies.. (SICK OF PAYING DA MAN)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bankrupter

Ill post up as I find time but this thread will be a how to of sorts of me making my own D8 bodies for racing.

To start it off...

Mold making:

The list is simple Cold water, plaster of paris, a bucket to mix it in, Mixing device... Also a way to support your sample body. This stuff gets a lil heavy and will distort the sample if not supported well. I used a box and some crumpled paper under the body to keep in all in shape when it was full.

The mess begins...
DSC_0002.jpg

The mix is easy to do add dry to wet 2 parts to one. I used 8 pounds of mix for this mold.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j314/justin11275/RC body making/DSC_0004.jpg

So the sample will not stick you just need to spray it with some water before filling..

So add to the list of needs ...
DSC_0005.jpg

You fill the sample in 4 parts making sure to have all the air out between fills. The slightest bubble in the mold will show on the finished body.

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

This pic shows the paper under the sample supporting it
DSC_0009.jpg

One hour later you need to remove it from the sample. Go easy and slow she will pop right out...

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

My D60 was having a hard time focusing on it. I put a piece of broke exhaust gasket on it so I could get the detail shots. Every last detail of the sample is in this mold ...

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

This one has some stuff that fell off the samples edges as it was coming out. I will brush it off after 24 hours and the mold is dry. I don't want to leave any marks on it at this point!

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

Vacuum forming to follow ...

hpisfgreen

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike just told me there is a thread on the site already.. Ill put the link here when he finds it and you can all look at that one.. Saves me time I don't have.. but just figured Id make a thread as I did them..

EDIT: looks like it was just you tube stuff ... Ill continue the thread

i was just trying to save you some time but ya it is all you tube stuff.

your mold looks great though any special tricks for getting the air bubbles out or just shake the mold a bit to release them from the form?

Killer job Justin!! Can't wait to see the end results.. rockout +1 rep to you

i was just trying to save you some time but ya it is all you tube stuff.

your mold looks great though any special tricks for getting the air bubbles out or just shake the mold a bit to release them from the form?

yep just a jiggle... I used ice cold water to keep the set time longer to take pics and work them out too. Colder the water the longer you have to work. At 2 to 1 its not that thick(2 parts plaster). the air comes up relatively easy. As I got to the last 1/4 it was setting up on me. You can see a herring bone pattern in the "mud" that was me working it with a rubber thingy my wife got livid I used... But it was sagging as I didn't support it till the end. Didn't think it was as heavy as it is... MT bodys will take some supporting. S/C even more!

looks like a greaty way to challenge yourself...i am going to enjoy watching this come together..

yep just a jiggle... I used ice cold water to keep the set time longer to take pics and work them out too. Colder the water the longer you have to work. At 2 to 1 its not that thick(2 parts plaster). the air comes up relatively easy. As I got to the last 1/4 it was setting up on me. You can see a herring bone pattern in the "mud" that was me working it with a rubber thingy my wife got livid I used... But it was sagging as I didn't support it till the end. Didn't think it was as heavy as it is... MT bodys will take some supporting. S/C even more!

great idea with the cold water. in hind site, to support the body, you might be able to use some sand. put sand in a cardboard box and wiggle the body into the sand. It will conform to the body well & support well.

pretty kool project.

great idea with the cold water. in hind site, to support the body, you might be able to use some sand. put sand in a cardboard box and wiggle the body into the sand. It will conform to the body well & support well.

pretty kool project.

Excellent idea fred !!!

Justin u may want to use the stuff they use to fill the cars dents with. I know a few people that does it here and they say that plaster cracks easy when they are forming but if they first cover a little bit of the body with the car dent stuff and then fill the center for the mold with plaster it apparently holds better

Justin u may want to use the stuff they use to fill the cars dents with. I know a few people that does it here and they say that plaster cracks easy when they are forming but if they first cover a little bit of the body with the car dent stuff and then fill the center for the mold with plaster it apparently holds better

The guy that was making thew 1/4 scale gravedigger had issues using that stuff.. He said the opposite. heat makes it come off in the poly or something like that. been over a year since I seen him say it now ..

EDIT:
PANABA453's vid series on youtube also uses plaster, now that you made me look it up lol. He has no issues and mixed it the same as I did. But time will tell. If the form degrades or cracks I will be the first to tell you all before you start making forms yourself. I do know you cant beat it up. It will chip but I'm not playing catch with it or intend to drop it!!!!!!!!!! would break my toes ...

I am using online metals dot com. I have chose 12x24 for this body. Your former, frame and poly will depend on the model your making.

ya we all know it can be done but few are brave enough to do so. any idea how long it will take start to finish to make one once your set up?

ya we all know it can be done but few are brave enough to do so. any idea how long it will take start to finish to make one once your set up?

Elaborate to what part of making it ? heat and form, making frame and former, mold, all of the above lol ...

Elaborate to what part of making it ? heat and form, making frame and former, mold, all of the above lol ...

I found the site, WOW there price is amazing to the one i seen last night ..
What thickness would you say is best, i think 0.76mm IMO . i took a ruler to the savage body and it's .5mm just a quick guess :) I would think a 24"x24" would be good for the XL body ..

.04, .06 ,.08- you could stand on... most bodys are .04

Latest posts

Members online

Back