Lrp .32

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got it, a fuel tank and signed up for tower hobbies club which was like $5 for around $200 after a $20 discount code was applied. Free shipping. I live in the same state as TH and ordered before they opened so it only took a day to recieve.

Very nice, suppose to be torque monster, let us know how it responds (after breakin). I'm on the fence between lrp 32 and picco boost 28 for one of my savages.

Make sure to heat it up before starting. And take your time breaking it in properly.
Wear gloves!! There will be blisters.. Hahahahaha

It is an amazing engine, I have the spec2 myself, modded , and it killed my 2 speed.. :) 34 teeth broken .. On 17/43 gearing..

Make sure to heat it up before starting. And take your time breaking it in properly.
Wear gloves!! There will be blisters.. Hahahahaha

It is an amazing engine, I have the spec2 myself, modded , and it killed my 2 speed.. :) 34 teeth broken .. On 17/43 gearing..
I've been a bricklayer.... not many places left on my hands that arent callousled

Just what I wanted but couldn't afford one just yet so settled for a 5.9 big block :-(
Post a video of her when she's broken in. I've seen a few on ebay and they look epic..

I still have the 5.9. It needs a new 1 way bearing, other then that it's fine. She's stored away for now.

I still have the 5.9. It needs a new 1 way bearing, other then that it's fine. She's stored away for now.

Did you have good luck with your 5.9 I've heard so many conflicting stories about them.
That lrp is a tasty looking engine thou mate can't wait to see it in and going

Did you have good luck with your 5.9 I've heard so many conflicting stories about them.
That lrp is a tasty looking engine thou mate can't wait to see it in and going
It's a fine motor. I was unaware of the half tank lean issue and had a difficult time holding a tune but I have that solved now. I think a lot of people having that issue blame the motor instead of the fuel tank. I got the truck used off ebay and the previous owner wasn't quite honest about the shape of the truck. Supposedly it was only on it's 2nd tank of break in. After receiving the truck it was obvious it had been used a lot more. The body was blue and the box was marked orange. The receiver antenna was broke off. A chunk was missing from the skid plate they tried to file smooth, rims had been repainted. Other various damage. It wasn't in terrible shape just obviously ran more then 2 tanks just idling as the owner had told me. I asked the owner about it and she agreed to refund some of my money plus send me a new futuba rx/tx. I was happy but later in the day her husband decided he wasn't. He kept sending me stupid messages and told me he wasn't doing anything his wife had agreed too. I made a complaint to eBay and a couple days later received a call from an eBay rep. She reviewed our messages, refunded my money and told me to keep the truck. So I purchased the new motor and have the 5.9 for the future. It does need a new 1 way bearing

Well he got a $410 dollar lesson on honesty because he refused to except the return and full refund eBay originally said to do. I never did understand that part. Atleast he would of got The truck back. The wife messaged me a few days later and apologized for his actions.

Last edited:
I was just mainly looking to get his messages to stop. I couldn't figure out how to block him through the eBay messaging system. He also gave me a very bad review I wanted removed. I paid instantly after the auction though he said i didnt. EBay did remove the review as i could prove it was false. I wasn't expecting or trying to get a full refund. Apparently tgetes certain terms he broke that a person agrees too when selling an item. He went as far as calling me a stupid f@$! Because I said it was unsafe to run with a broken rx antenna. I've had a runaway truck before do to the same issue.

20170610_174953.jpg 20170610_175514.jpg getting closer. Still need to set the mesh, install the fuel tank, figure out the header tank and connect the throttle servo. Wont get to start break in until tomorrow:(

20170610_230207.jpg 20170610_225857.jpg 20170610_225903.jpg she's ready. Couple small things to do tomorrow but got all the main work done. Couldn't really decide how I wanted the header tank mounted so it's just temporarily zip tied in for now. Might just clean up the zip ties a bit and leave it. I need to readjust the roll cage, make sure the needles are set correctly, put on the air filter and I think it's game on. I put the stock pipe back on until I find a replacement. I have a cen gst 7.7 pipe I might give a shot. I'll sleep on it and decide in the morning. 1 thing I noticed is the spur gear rides better on the clutch bell then it did on the 5.9. Before the spur ran more to the front edge of the bells teeth. It's more centered on this motor. 20170610_232624.jpg

That header tank is in an awful location... you might want to consider a smaller one that will tuck behind the shock tower. One hard rear landing and that thing is toast!

That is one sexy looking engine!

Just curious, what city are you in? Tower is in IL isn't it? Or is that Horizon?

That header tank is in an awful location... you might want to consider a smaller one that will tuck behind the shock tower. One hard rear landing and that thing is toast!

That is one sexy looking engine!

Just curious, what city are you in? Tower is in IL isn't it? Or is that Horizon?
The tanks just a 2oz dubro tank. It will fit where you describe. I had someone make the same suggestion. I had considered it before placing it there but I choose this place as it was easy to zip tie. However your suggestion does make sense. I'll move it. It's just placed temporarily for now so not a big deal to change.

I'm in kewanee IL. Is a small town just north of Peoria IL. Tower is in Champaign IL which is just over 2 hours away. University of IL is located there. Used to party, chase girls and attend football games quite a bit down there.

20170611_111419.jpg 20170611_111426.jpg 20170611_111511.jpg 20170611_111959.jpg Ok so here's where I'm at. I've moved the header tank to inside of the shock tower. I built a small shelf from 1 side of the frame to the other that keeps the tank from slipping down to the drive shaft. You can sort of see it in the 1st pic. There's a zip tie across the top that keeps it from going up. That's the 2nd pic but it's a cloudy pic so it's hard to see.

Awesome bud glad things worked out better for ya!!! I'm new to the hobby but I have only seen a couple vehicles with header tanks....I haven't even fired up my monster yet but I've had it for almost 2 weeks and upon getting acquainted a header tank was my first thought when things like mid tank lean or longer run times are mentioned....but not to many talk bout or use one....maybe I haven't searched for it either but header tanks I feel will benefit more than the boost bottles....and maybe even the boost bottle can be more beneficial to act as header tanks...rather than over spray recycling which a good exhaust should do anyways...
On a diffrent note why has nobody made a 2 cylinder nitro engine it would be better than mounting 2 separate engines...but that a diffrent thread all together!

20170611_113030.jpg might need a new cutting board...loI

I made the shelf and a spacer that sits behind the tank to make it sit better out of it. I cut them out rough and sanded them smooth to fit really nice and tight.

Awesome bud glad things worked out better for ya!!! I'm new to the hobby but I have only seen a couple vehicles with header tanks....I haven't even fired up my monster yet but I've had it for almost 2 weeks and upon getting acquainted a header tank was my first thought when things like mid tank lean or longer run times are mentioned....but not to many talk bout or use one....maybe I haven't searched for it either but header tanks I feel will benefit more than the boost bottles....and maybe even the boost bottle can be more beneficial to act as header tanks...rather than over spray recycling which a good exhaust should do anyways...
On a diffrent note why has nobody made a 2 cylinder nitro engine it would be better than mounting 2 separate engines...but that a diffrent thread all together!
Lots of people do a mid tank mod which requires moving the battery box, throttle servo and electronics to different spots on the truck. I don't have the time for that right now but want to do it in the future. It can get pricey depending on the set up. But who knows this was pretty simple and cheap so if it pans out i might just leave it this way. I just bash my trucks anyways and not looking for a show piece.

Others will tune the truck with the fuel level low. That way it runs rich for most of the tank then runs great the last bit. I didn't really like that option. I want it to run good the whole tank. Running it like this means only the last 1/4 to 1/3 of a tank is tuned right so the majority of run time it's rich. Others just don't let the fuel level drop down past the mid tank but that seriously limits run times on an already gas guzzling machine. Then there's others that just deal with it. I just put in a new motor, I'm not risking running it lean.

The header tank seems to be an older fix as many have moved to the mid tank mod. These were the only 2 options I'm willing to mess with but the header was the easiest and quickest of the 2 to get me up and running. I haven't read much good about boost bottles, they seemed more of a gimmick to me from what I saw about them. From what I gather they just make the motor run leaner. That's already the problem with these tanks. If you want the motor to run leaner, just tune it leaner.

Last edited:
I feel the same about boost bottles. But I think they would be more useful as header tanks they are smaller and can come with mounting hardware so they can be better placed for appearance and functionality.

Really something from manufacturers should have been made for this reason or even a diffrent tank there is lots of room even on the 4.6 for a better tank with more capacity...or even dual tanks made to fill gaps....good job though I am definitely mounting the lrp .32 spec 4 into my 4.6 as well as header tanks.....but my upgrading will take place over the winter months here in Canada.....no way I'm running this girl through snow.....so down time is for overhauling. Great stuff bud!

I feel the same about boost bottles. But I think they would be more useful as header tanks they are smaller and can come with mounting hardware so they can be better placed for appearance and functionality.

Really something from manufacturers should have been made for this reason or even a diffrent tank there is lots of room even on the 4.6 for a better tank with more capacity...or even dual tanks made to fill gaps....good job though I am definitely mounting the lrp .32 spec 4 into my 4.6 as well as header tanks.....but my upgrading will take place over the winter months here in Canada.....no way I'm running this girl through snow.....so down time is for overhauling. Great stuff bud!
I don't want a smaller tank. I wish I would of got a larger tank. Larger tank= more run time. These big block motors can really suck the fuel down. My son's tmaxx for instance can run twice as long on 2/3 the fuel of the 5.9 i just swapped out. The only benefit I see from using a booster as a head tank is it would look more factory but like I said I bash mine. I prefer functionality over appearance. What I did looks pretty damn good for such a quick cheap fix. Anyone outside of the rc world probably wouldn't even notice. It could easily be made to look more factory with just a bit of effort but if I was to go to that effort I would just spend the extra $$ and do the mid tank mod.

In your profile pic it looks like you have a newer savage. Did hpi not address the mid tank lean issues on the newer models?

Last edited:
Yeah its technical title is" HPI SAVAGE X4.6 RTR" It's stock with bullet proof diffs and 17t/47t...but no address to fuel tank...and I've been thinking it's been 4 years since there last major revamp....and would have thought since they been not stocking them anywhere till next month I belive, that they would have addressed a couple issues. The tank being the only issue I see without getting into the hop up potion of the hobby..would make this machine perfectly user friendly...provided you have decent motor skills and compression.
I know we want bigger tanks I wouldn't want a smaller one either but who said a tank has to be square hpi doesn't think so....so why not a tank that snakes around to all the open space under the hood give to benefits. 1 weight is distributed more evenly and you will definitely get more capacity cause your adding onto the original same concept as a header but a one peice tank or even create a proper fitting header tank...

I guess even though I'm going to rough my machine up and bash it eventually....I still look at it as a hotrod build sing in your garage you only want the finest most powerfull yet most beautiful peice of art...
It's small scale dream builds the way I see it!

Yeah its technical title is" HPI SAVAGE X4.6 RTR" It's stock with bullet proof diffs and 17t/47t...but no address to fuel tank...and I've been thinking it's been 4 years since there last major revamp....and would have thought since they been not stocking them anywhere till next month I belive, that they would have addressed a couple issues. The tank being the only issue I see without getting into the hop up potion of the hobby..would make this machine perfectly user friendly...provided you have decent motor skills and compression.
I know we want bigger tanks I wouldn't want a smaller one either but who said a tank has to be square hpi doesn't think so....so why not a tank that snakes around to all the open space under the hood give to benefits. 1 weight is distributed more evenly and you will definitely get more capacity cause your adding onto the original same concept as a header but a one peice tank or even create a proper fitting header tank...

I guess even though I'm going to rough my machine up and bash it eventually....I still look at it as a hotrod build sing in your garage you only want the finest most powerfull yet most beautiful peice of art...
It's small scale dream builds the way I see it!
Beautiful piece of art sounds like you want a shelf queen with all the aluminum upgrades. I stick with rpm plastic upgrades. Rpm makes the toughest parts out there, i wouldnt call them art. Aluminim doesnt take the abuse and is overly priced. Rpm is much better for bashing. I thought I wanted art until I started bashing my trucks.

I'm very disappointed they didn't address the fuel tank issue. Kind of bad they didn't fix a known problem that would be so simple to solve. Sucks buying an expensive truck knowing it has an existing issue.

A tank that snakes around to all the open spots would cause more issues. The problem with the half tank lean is in part because of the uneven design of hpis tank. Pressure changes as it hits the smaller lower section. Mid tank mods and header tanks utilize a more uniformed shaped tank to eliviate this issue. It's not about more run time, thats just a bonus to fixing andm already underlying issue. The mid tank mod utilizes a single more uniformed tank. While the header tank mod uses the uneven stock tank to feed a more uniformed tank to feed the beast. Airplanes and helicopters also use a header tank to maintain a more even pressure while performing stunts. The header tank mod has been adopted from them to fix hpis issue with their bad tanks.

There's also a uniflow mod that utilizes a nipple at the bottom of hpis stock tank for better fuel transfer. I haven't read much on that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Back