HPI USA Engine Exchange Program

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrews

I was looking thru the HPI website and came across their engine exchange program, you can send your engine in to them and they will send you an engine of our choice back to you for the amount listed below, it doesnt matter if your engine is running or not. I'm sure you all know about this already, but I will put how to get there just incase.
*Go to HPIracing.com then > Customer Support > its under Warranties*
---The engine that you receive will be BRAND NEW. We will not send you a rebuilt or remanufactured engine.---

1600 Nitro Star 15SS $99.00
1601 Nitro Star 15SS Precut for RC10GT $99.00
1605 Nitro Star 15 $75.00
1617 Nitro Star 18SS $99.00
15101 Nitro Star T-15 $65.00
1401 Nitro Star 21BB $99.00
1406 Nitro Star S-25 $99.00
15201 Nitro Star K4.6 $149.00
----------------------------------------
I was thinking of getting a new engine so this seems like a cheaper way of doing it, I have the Savage 21 with the stock Nitro Star 21 BB engine could I put the K4.6 engine in my Savage 21? I'm very new to this so I'm not sure about compatibility and such, thanks!:)

EDIT: Did a little research and found it is a direct bolt-in replacement for the 21BB :) They recommend 17/47 gearing to prevent excessive wheelies, would that be a complicated procedure?

Last edited by a moderator:
no, switching out the spur and clutch bell are pretty simple. the clutch bell is removing 1 screw. i'm not 100% sure on the spur, but i'm pretty sure its just removing the slipper nut and installing the new spur....

I can't link directly because it will just take you to the home page of HPI but here are the directions to get to it

*Go to HPIracing.com then > Customer Support > its under Warranties*

i sined up a month ago on the hpi engine exchange program.....my understanding was that if you send in a 21 size engine you get a 21 engine in exchange & not a bigger or smaller one........did i read wrong on the hpi website ?

You can pick whatever one you like, you just have to pay the exchange amount, which is a lot cheaper then buying it somewhere else, and if you don't plan on using your old engine its a good idea. for example if I wanted to replace my 21BB for a K4.6 I pay $150 if I just want a new 21BB I can do that and pay $100.

I was thinking of getting a new engine so this seems like a cheaper way of doing it, I have the Savage 21 with the stock Nitro Star 21 BB engine could I put the K4.6 engine in my Savage 21? I'm very new to this so I'm not sure about compatibility and such, thanks!:)

EDIT: Did a little research and found it is a direct bolt-in replacement for the 21BB :) They recommend 17/47 gearing to prevent excessive wheelies, would that be a complicated procedure?

A friend and myself put a brand new F4.6 into an original Savage 21. Did not change the gears and it launches like crazy, wheelies and all. We have a blast trashing it.

frankly, you can pick up the 4.6 on eBay cheaper than the exchange program price...

I didn't see the new 5.9 big block listed either time I visited the exchange program page...I wonder if they will wait a certain period of time before adding it to the list.....

ya nitronutzz on ebay has the 4.6 for like $120.00 so it would be cheaper to just grab one of ebay!! but don't get me wrong I'm not bashing hpi there a awsome company!!!

They also don't offer the K4.6 HO in the exchange program.

If they had lower prices for the exchange program I would actually consider it. But I can just rebuild what I got for less and quicker or I can add a few more bucks and get a whole new bigger motor. I feel HPI dropped the ball on this one :dmt:

They also don't offer the K4.6 HO in the exchange program.

If they had lower prices for the exchange program I would actually consider it. But I can just rebuild what I got for less and quicker or I can add a few more bucks and get a whole new bigger motor. I feel HPI dropped the ball on this one :dmt:

I'm a HPI lifer but I'm with u no way that make sense I love my Axial 32 and LRP and there almost the same price as the exchange. But I still love my HPI!
Cheers!!:cheers:

Latest posts

Members online

Back