Hpi Savage SS is stuck in place when push it on the ground

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horacio0809

Hey Guys,

This is my first time building a HPI SAVAGE SS, it's my first time building a RC period!
So after i finished installing the wheels on the Savage SS, I layed the truck on the ground to manually push it and it wouldn't move??? Something tells me that my slipper clutch my be screwed. Can you guys please help me with this? What can be causing this? Mind you I haven't started the engine yet, I want to make sure this is fixed before I do so...

Thanks,

I would pick an end and work process of elimination. Check make sure the brakes aren't too tight first, then I (personally) would pull the clutchbell away from the spur. See if it helps then on to the slipper, trans, and so forth.

have you powered up the radio system on it? it sounds as if your brakes are on? if thats not the case can you rotate the spur by hand???

I haven't turned on the truck, and how do i know the breaks are tight or not??? And yes when i try to rotate the spur, it would barely rotate...hope this helps finding a solutIon...thanks for the prompt reply you guys!!

actually, the spur is quite hard to rotate when I attempt to do it so I don't force too much out of precaution not to break anything.

ok so i turned on the radio and still no difference...and the spur can rotate with difficulty but only clockwise, it cannot rotate counter clockwise...

With the truck in the air, grab both rear wheels and try to turn them forward.

Did you try loosening the engine and sliding it away from the spur?

Sounds to me that you have the mesh set way too tight, there should be a slight bit of play between the gears.....

Just move the clutch bell away from the gear and try it, no need to completely remove the engine from the chassis

I'm new in this as same as you are and i had this same issue of not rolling backwards. Listen and take advise from these guys as they know what they are talking about. For now i believe what Jam Racing 1 saying is spot on. I believe your mesh is too tight. No need to remove as was mentioned by Jam Racing 1, move them apart and try rolling your truck. Eliminate your areas 1 at a time. You will get it. This hobby takes alot of patience and time setting up your truck. Believe me you will love your own handiwork once you finish.

man...that's super encouraging thanks Nihal, and thank you guys for the responses...I'll try what you suggested and get back to you with feedback asap!!

If moving the engine doesn't help, remember to try removing all 4 wheels and spinning the spur in both directions by hand easily.

If it isn't a tight mesh you can also check if the diffs are mounted correctly. If one of them is in wrong it won't roll either.
One diff will be turning forward and the other one backwards..

If it isn't a tight mesh you can also check if the diffs are mounted correctly. If one of them is in wrong it won't roll either.
One diff will be turning forward and the other one backwards..

Thats what I am thinking, you have one diff in backwards was the truck a kit or RTR.

Thanks for responding Caretaker :)....Yes griff7373 it was a kit. Guys i'm such a newbie @ this and I do have another question, i'm not too sure where or what the diff is in the savage SS...I know i know it's bad lol

Ok got it...so I'll first try the following steps;

- move the clutch bell away from the gear
- then I'll check the Diffs

Correct me if I'm wrong...don't I have a lot of parts to remove before getting to the Differentials?

Do you have an older SS or an X SS?? Older types will need more work. You have to take out the complete bulkhead and open that up. on the X type Savage you only need to remove 6 screws to get to the diff iirc.

You can check the diffs first. Place the Savage on a box or something and the turn the Spurgear Counter clockwise.
IF the front and rear wheels are rotating in opposite directions you have the diffs in wrong and you have to open up the one that is turning backwards.

I have the X SS...I can't turn the spur gear counterclockwise and when i turn it clockwise it's firm...

Ok X SS . less work to open up IF needed..

Can you post a few spurgear clutchbell and brake pics?
If you can't turn the spurgear clockwise and counterclockwise it has to be in the gears.. Tight mesh most likely.
Maybe the clutchbell is rubbing against the spur or brake discs.
Which could mean the flywheel isn't mounted tight against the engine.

I have a x ss and I can only put my diffs in one way. There is a plastic tab inside the housing so they can't be reversed. not sure what year mine is but its at least 5 years old. Before pulling your diff housing apart maybe just drop your drive shafts, spin your wheels and see which direction the cups are turning?

Yes I'll post the pictures later on today around 7 pm Eastern time...another thing, I tried what JamRacing1 suggested and loosened the 4 screws under the engine to try to move the engine away from the spur but it seems like that there is VERY little space to move the engine from the spur...

Yes I'll post the pictures later on today around 7 pm Eastern time...another thing, I tried what JamRacing1 suggested and loosened the 4 screws under the engine to try to move the engine away from the spur but it seems like that there is VERY little space to move the engine from the spur...

This may be true, but it is enough space to loosen the mesh between the clutch bell and the spur. That is the point, to try to alleviate the binding in the drive train.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back