Hpi Savage SS is stuck in place when push it on the ground

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the pictures as requested...and once again, I tried pushing the engine away but no progress...

From what I can see in the pics the clutchbell is close, but not touching. Personally, I'd check your brake rotor and make sure they're loose.

If moving the engine doesn't help, remember to try removing all 4 wheels and spinning the spur in both directions by hand easily.

You try this yet? I know it's a pain to take all 4 wheels off, but it will tell us a few things that may help. I don't want to go into explaining what it tells us unless it helps, then at least we have something to aim at. When you moved the engine, was the bell touching the spur still? Perhaps it would be best to take the engine completely out.

You try this yet? I know it's a pain to take all 4 wheels off, but it will tell us a few things that may help. I don't want to go into explaining what it tells us unless it helps, then at least we have something to aim at. When you moved the engine, was the bell touching the spur still? Perhaps it would be best to take the engine completely out.
Yes I have tried removing all 4 wheels and spinning the spur...no difference!

From what I can see in the pics the clutchbell is close, but not touching. Personally, I'd check your brake rotor and make sure they're loose.
How can I check that?

Look at the bottom of the truck. You should have a couple discs mounted to the rear hex out of the transmission.. those are your brakes. Flip them with your finger. If they're tight, loosen them.

Yes I have tried removing all 4 wheels and spinning the spur...no difference!
Ok, that tells us you likely didn't put the hubs/axles/hex's/axle bearings in wrong or missing. Pull the engine out. See what you get then. Last resort is to pull the thing apart and get the transmission in your hands and see if it spins without the engine or center axles tied to it.

Look at the bottom of the truck. You should have a couple discs mounted to the rear hex out of the transmission.. those are your brakes. Flip them with your finger. If they're tight, loosen them.
I checked that, and they are pretty loose...

The way your brake lever is sitting almost looks like it could be holding the brakes on a bit. Take the screw out that holds the upright wire and take the wire out, then see if it loosens up on you.

Ok, that tells us you likely didn't put the hubs/axles/hex's/axle bearings in wrong or missing. Pull the engine out. See what you get then. Last resort is to pull the thing apart and get the transmission in your hands and see if it spins without the engine or center axles tied to it.
Ok i'll try that...

So I removed the engine and here's what I discovered...when i push the truck it will move for a very short distance then block again and this applies to both forward and backward...

Hate to say it... pull the trans. Could be how you setup your brakes or something inside... or something in one of or both of your diffs. Pulling the trans will at least let you focus on where the binding is. If it's one or both of the diffs, you'll be able to find out. If it's the brakes, they will be in your face and easily worked on. If it's in the trans... well, you get the picture.

So I finally found out what it was...I screwed one of the screws on the brake hub wrong, so I had to remove the gearbox and the brakes...what a drag, at least it's fixed now!!! Thank you guys so much for your help!!!

So now the issue is i'd say 80% resolved, reason why I say this is because I can push the truck forward no problem but when I push it backward, it's a lot stiff, although it's not stuck like before but it's just harder to push backward...would you guys know why?

Something is still dragging. It will roll forward marginally more easily than back because of the OWB in the trans not grabbing and causing the entire trans/spur/cb to spin as much or at all.

what's a OWB?
First gear in a savage is attached to a one way bearing (OWB). When force is applied to the spur in the forward rotation (CCW I think), the bearing bites onto a shaft and spins the gears/output shaft. Once the OWB shaft is up to a specific RPM, little pawls swing out and grab the second speed gear and lock into it, then the OWB free spins the 1st gear. If you had 2 gears hard set to a shaft that were different size, they would lock each other. One spins the shaft faster than the other, so the lower gear has to release once the 2nd gear takes over.

This means that when the shaft is spun backwards, it just free spins, which means, you should be able to push the truck forward regardless if the spur/cb mesh is good or not because with the spur locked, the OWB will not lock onto the shaft.

I threw a quick vid on youtube to show you what mine does even when teh spur is locked with vise grips:

The tires all spin forward freely, but when I try to spin backwards, it just causes the opposing tired to spin backwards via the diff.

Last edited:
I just took my Savage down and rolled it forward and backwards, forward it freewheels nicely, backward the spur and bell spin causing a slight noise , other wise it rolls very freely.... so once again I have to point to the mesh being tighter than it should be causing it to be jerky rolling backwards...

Loosen the mesh just a tick more and try it again...

Hey guys,

I finally found what the issue was. It had nothing to do with the center gear box, it was the clutch bell that was too stiff therefore it was hard to spin the clutch bell and whenever I'd take the engine out, the truck would roll just fine but as soon as I'd put the engine in and approached the clutch bell to the spur gear, it stop rolling. So i unscrewed the clutch bell and removed the bearings, then i installed the clutch bell back making sure that it would spin freely. Once I installed the engine back onto the truck...VOILA!! All was solved....Can't wait to break it in now!!! All in all, it was an amazing learning experience...You guys made me realize that when it comes to RC kits, the best way to solve a unknown issue is to remove piece by piece!

Thanks again you guys!!

Hey guys,

I finally found what the issue was. It had nothing to do with the center gear box, it was the clutch bell that was too stiff therefore it was hard to spin the clutch bell and whenever I'd take the engine out, the truck would roll just fine but as soon as I'd put the engine in and approached the clutch bell to the spur gear, it stop rolling. So i unscrewed the clutch bell and removed the bearings, then i installed the clutch bell back making sure that it would spin freely. Once I installed the engine back onto the truck...VOILA!! All was solved....Can't wait to break it in now!!! All in all, it was an amazing learning experience...You guys made me realize that when it comes to RC kits, the best way to solve a unknown issue is to remove piece by piece!

Thanks again you guys!!
Make sure to loc-tite that little screw that keeps the clutch bell on

And while you are at it, put some loc-tite on your engine mount screws as well. You do not want anything moving about because as Jam said, when things get loose they can cause a great deal of damage.

Latest posts

Members online

Back