Hpi Savage Picture Thread (post pics here)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austin

WIN_20141212_223853.JPG WIN_20141212_223853.JPG

Attachments

• WIN_20141212_223744.JPG
    WIN_20141212_223744.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 11
  • WIN_20141212_223709.JPG
    WIN_20141212_223709.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 10
I host my pictures on Photobucket and when posting I use IMG and copy and paste the link. Viola the pics show up full size and is no need to open a new window......

Hey Jam, "viola" is an instrument. And a baseball player. "Voila" is the french term you meant to use. :). Haha

Reactions: Jr.
Here is a pic of my Savage XL with the Parts.
Axial Beadlock Rims Black Chrome in Color Proline Trencher 40 Series Tires Integy Center Skid Plate Black in Color And an HPI Plazma 1600MHA Receiver Pack and the Roll Cage for the Savage XLP_20150215_184158.jpg

Do you prefer the stock roll bar over the aluminum one?
I bought the later and think it does not have the coverage that the stock one do.
I am sure it will take more of a beating than the plastic tho.
I notice you have a fuel tank protector, is it necessary?
I have never damaged a tank YET lol

Do you prefer the stock roll bar over the aluminum one?
I bought the later and think it does not have the coverage that the stock one do.
I am sure it will take more of a beating than the plastic tho.
I notice you have a fuel tank protector, is it necessary?
I have never damaged a tank YET lol

The tank protector is largely "bling". The plastic roll bar is actually more durable by far than the metal version. The metal will simply dent and deform, whereas the plastic will bounce back from the hits. I have yet to damage a heat sink when landing on my lid with the plastic roll bar.

Hello rikkidy I could not find aluminum roll bar that would fit the Savage XL and like X said the plastic roll bar is more durable. And I got the tank guard because when I had the Savage 25 I broke two tanks from stuff hitting the tank.

Haven't posted here in a while. I serviced my savage replacing all bearings from steering to diffs to everything in-between, new diff oil 30k/20k F/R, rebuilt/inspected transmission, new fuel line/filters, inspected/degreased/resealed engine, installed longer FLM TVP's (i had the standard length and didn't like them), new XL basher body, geared down to 16CB, relocated my throttle spring to the rollbar, fabbed some DE mudflaps in the rear, rebuilt my shocks and put 45wt shock oil around, replaced and loctite'd screws that needed it.
IMAG0040_zpsfk78dpta.jpg

RPXD0002_zpsjhrpubsg.jpg

RPXD0002_zpsgbxiyh3d.jpg

RPXD0007_zpsetapoken.jpg

RPXD0003_zpsrmvg3eo3.jpg

RPXD0005_zpsxii4beiu.jpg

RPXD0016_zpspqf9xvbd.jpg

RPXD0012_zps7tuod3ac.jpg

RPXD0006_zpstaobnpa8.jpg

RPXD0007_zpsdudwrxgs.jpg

#GAMEOVER

The tank protector is largely "bling". The plastic roll bar is actually more durable by far than the metal version. The metal will simply dent and deform, whereas the plastic will bounce back from the hits. I have yet to damage a heat sink when landing on my lid with the plastic roll bar.

X, I am sorry but I strongly disagree with you on the tank protector being just "bling." I have run my rig in an area before where there was small to medium sized pebbles. Halfway through my run my rig flamed out. An inspection revealed that my tank was punctured at the bottom front to the point where fuel drained out. I didn't jump my rig or roll it over. The only obvious explanation was rocks and pebbles being flung up by the front wheels. I usually rock my tank guard but on that particular day I didn't. Ever since then I been rocking my tank guard and I have never experienced that problem. This also explains why I put mud guards--not only to prevent caked on dirt build up--but also to prevent rocks and pebbles from dinging up my rear suspension. Since I got my new extended tvps, the "bling" guard I had couldn't fit without me working it over with a dremmel. Apparently I got lazy (after all the maintenance I done since I pulled an all nighter to service my truck) and instead, I wrapped the bottom of my tank with several layers of duct tape. I could go midtank, but it's too many extra parts to get, plus there's plenty of stock savage tanks available in the event I want to replace it down the road (Lol try finding a hellfire tank nowadays). However the rest of your post I do agree with X. With that said, despite what the naysayers tell you dbonamy, you have an "awesome" and "functional" tank guard.

Last edited:
X, I am sorry but I strongly disagree with you on the tank protector being just "bling."

To each their own opinion. I've ran my savage for around 9 years now and never damaged my tank. And largely, most aluminum parts on the savage cause more problems than they fix. Aluminum will transfer the hits to something else,or simply bend out of shape, whereas plastic will absorb it.

I don't discount that possibly a tank guard has been beneficial to you. Aluminum parts are a bit of a gate way drug to making you truck a shelf queen for some people. ;)

Well once again it depends where you run it. Alloy parts are also great depending on where you use it as well. I was bummed out when my tank cracked so I made a conscience effort to protect it.

Now, alloy A-arms hahahhaha that's not a gateway drug that's full blown addiction. :woot:

Sorry I just gotta ask why you do not run with a body on the truck ?ya did put one on after a bit I noticed, it just looks so naked without it and seems like you will skin up all the mounts and cage which a body will help protect a bit better..... last time i ran one of mine without the body on I broke the engine mount right off....... :DOH:

hahaha i got carried away without it LOLZ I like my savage like my women....nekkid
Naw but on the real, you are right I should really run it with the body on. I guess I got zen with it while driving that I forgot.

I like my savage like my women....nekkid

Agree, but to protect I put a cover on. This is one of the reasons I have never painted a body. If you're more than a few feet away it just looks like you aren't running a body. Best of both worlds!

Latest posts

Members online

Back