HPI RX RF-40, very short range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samorme88

hi guys hopefully you can help!

Ive recently bought a hpi savage without a massive knowledge of RC in general.

The trucks range is very short 15m and it looses range. Unfortunately the throttle stuck open and flew into a fence.... fail safe is now working :bookworm: and new lower arms replaced :dead:. But still no change on the range.... Ive tried different battery in both the rx and tx etc with still no luck.....

Any ideas?

RF-40

Check your antenna wire on the reciever. I'm not terribly familiar with the RF-40 but, if it's AM/FM, I'd suggest stepping up to 2.4. You can get a whole system fairly cheap on ebay.

Check your antenna wire on the reciever. I'm not terribly familiar with the RF-40 but, if it's AM/FM, I'd suggest stepping up to 2.4. You can get a whole system fairly cheap on ebay.

its a 2.4ghz RX mate which is what confuses me. My mate has the same one and goes much further. :meh:

@samorme88 What you're describing is exactly what my XS Flux did when the antenna wire got wound around the drive shaft and ripped in half. (same radio, HPI RF-40) It still worked, but had very short range. (I also did not have the fail safe set up and it ran off into a big street!) The antenna wire should be several inches long (about 6 inches, give or take a couple). It should be black along most of its length, with a section at the very end being skinnier with clear or white insulation. If that part at the end is missing the antenna won't work properly.

I followed the instructions in this video to fix my receiver:

Hope that helps.

@samorme88 What you're describing is exactly what my XS Flux did when the antenna wire got wound around the drive shaft and ripped in half. (same radio, HPI RF-40) It still worked, but had very short range. (I also did not have the fail safe set up and it ran off into a big street!) The antenna wire should be several inches long (about 6 inches, give or take a couple). It should be black along most of its length, with a section at the very end being skinnier with clear or white insulation. If that part at the end is missing the antenna won't work properly.

I followed the instructions in this video to fix my receiver:

Hope that helps.

That's great, thanks mate. Just ordered a new antenna I just need to replace it. I found a antenna replacement guide on another thread.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back