HPI E-Savage truck 309 GT speed controller

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ray1956

Hi can anyone help me, can I use LiPo battery's with this speed controller?

Hi thanks for that i have upgraded to deans connectors,why do i need a low voltage alarm? also can yo recommend Lipos to use thank you.

As @WoodiE stated, that ESC does not have a low voltage cutoff. Without that, the battery is capable of being drawn too low. Possibly damaging the battery. The point is to set the alarm so that it goes off somewhere at an appropriate level (somewhere between 3.4-3.8V) telling you that your battery is too low.

ok thank you ,could you tell me how to wire in low voltage alarm

They simply plug into the balance connector of your LiPo battery. As long as the alarm is made for the size battery you are using, you're good.

for example:
upload_2017-6-6_7-40-25.png

Ok thank you should i use 4 or 6 cell batterys?

From what I can see, that ESC can only handle a single 3s battery. Or two 6 cell NiMH batteries. Though, if you assume that since it says it can take two 6 cell NiMH batteries and fully charged on those is 1.5V per cell, it can theoretically take 18V. It's possible the ESC can handle 4s. But it will be your judgement call on that.

upload_2017-6-6_9-51-58.png

so you are saying i can use (2 )7.2v 3 cell LiPo
From what I can see, that ESC can only handle a single 3s battery. Or two 6 cell NiMH batteries. Though, if you assume that since it says it can take two 6 cell NiMH batteries and fully charged on those is 1.5V per cell, it can theoretically take 18V. It's possible the ESC can handle 4s. But it will be your judgement call on that.

View attachment 3492
so you are saying i can use (2) LiPo 3 cell battery's or would it be better with (2) 2 cell LiPo

so you are saying i can use (2 )7.2v 3 cell LiPo

so you are saying i can use (2) LiPo 3 cell battery's or would it be better with (2) 2 cell LiPo

No, the 7.2V batteries are NiMH. You should be able to run a 3s LiPo battery, and possibly a 4s (or two 2s) LiPo battery. But be very careful, the ESC was not meant for LiPo.

No, the 7.2V batteries are NiMH. You should be able to run a 3s LiPo battery, and possibly a 4s (or two 2s) LiPo battery. But be very careful, the ESC was not meant for LiPo.
Okay is there a replacement esc so I can use LiPo .....sorry to be a pain

hi can anyone tell me what mode
s-l1600.jpg
l this is?

do you know what its worth?

I don't see one on ebay at the moment, so it's hard to say exactly. You're really only gonna get nostalgic people to buy one. The Savage Flux is superior in every way, so most will buy those.

Electricity 101. The gt speed control can handle up to 16.8v, Max voltage for 2 7 cell batteries is 20.2v so that's voltage, current is more important as more current more heat. Current measured in amperes/amps. The esc has 160amp instant current fwd/rev and 320amp braking current. Continuous current I estimate at 40amps but it can be higher jus depends on how hot it gets how quickly. I run 2 7cell NiMH 5000mah batteries that can put out 40amps continuously and run a single 775 wired in parallel( both red wires to red terminal and same for black). I had to put fan on esc to keep temp below 175'F. If you use LiPo it's 2 2s batteries and I would try to stay at 40amps continuous drain maximum, capacity only gives you run time for LiPo even low capacity batteries can put out high current it's just a matter of how long, and for LiPo you want a cutoff circuit and a cell control circuit for safety and long lifetime for each motor(s) and batteries. I run a 775 in a rwd slash with 3.8" tires and highly modified suspension and chassis. I'm switching to li-ion (LiPo is soft cells/no protective casing) custom battery 5s2p with a custom current limiter and cutoff. The battery will have 20.2 v output due to circuitry voltage drop, the esc uses only one of the batteries to power esc so a separate receiver battery is needed when I switch to single battery wiring configuration. A lot of work but it is extremely unique and outperforms my e- Revo .

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back