HPI Big Bore Shocks - Install & Pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice!!!

I have the muggy shocks on my savage and picked up a brand new XL roller last night. I have the big bores NIP sitting on my desk and was thinking about throwing them on the XL when it arrives.

Thanks for the great walk through, pros, and advantages! That really helped!

Are these same as the ones on the Savage Flux ? and if not is there any size difference with them and the .25 Savage/xl line?

Are these same as the ones on the Savage Flux ? and if not is there any size difference with them and the .25 Savage/xl line?

The big bores on the flux are made from nylon and the ones for the savage are made of aluminum. I belive that is the only diffrence..:resp:

well i just order my new shocks i got the big bore been racing with my stuck 1 4 2 weeks cant wait 2 see the different on the track ty 4 the information i got a XL 5.9 hope it helps

Curiosity. Would you be able to fit 8 big bores on a savage X 4.6. basically replace all 8 with big bores instrad of jus having 4 all around?

Curiosity. Would you be able to fit 8 big bores on a savage X 4.6. basically replace all 8 with big bores instrad of jus having 4 all around?

That was the same question i was just going too ask, except mine is a savage xl. Hope someone has the answer for this one. I'm thinking about putting eight on the xl with 50 wt oil.

it seems like a fairly good idea to me. but obv. like anything there can be some drawbacks that are not worth the time or money:dunno:

I believe you can (saw it on youtube once) but you have to raise the inside shock because the steering rod hits it. Also to use some low weight oil like 20 to 25 because of all the shocks. It is a good idea though and if I had the cash I would buy 8 and bash the heck out of it. Terry

My big bore shocks arrived today.

HPIBigBoreShocks001.jpg

need 2 see a pic with all 8 on. I just installed the 4. Big difference, but i wanna see how 8 work and look on the truck.

I have'nt got around to installing the big bore shocks yet. I cant decide what WT oil to use. Maybe you can help me out.:thinking::dunno: What WT oil did you use on the four that you installed ?

I'm runnin 30wt for the winter then once it gets hotter I'm gonna switch to 50wt, cause the oil thins out in the summer from the heat.

Thanks for the info SavyScott and Zumiez87. I also have to
make some type of rig so my shocks can stand upright for a long period and let them bleed overnight.

+1 frddy.. If you don't have one of them modified you can always cut some holes in a shoe box and use it..Thats what i did the frist time i did my BB's.

Thanks SavyScott. I thought of that this morning.
I call this the poor mans Shock Box.:hardlaugh:

ShockBox001.jpg

I have one more question ?

How much oil should i put in the shock after i bleed them, should i fill them to the top of he cap or just enough to cover the piston ?

Thanks for the info hypnotiq. frddyj Recommended one of those "Helping Hands" this morning but i wanted too get the shocks finished by today, but i am going to order one in a few days.

A big thanks too all you guys for helping me out on the shocks.:beer:

I started installing the 8 big bore shocks today and so far the only problem ive ran into today is the Cap Head Screws for the upper shock tower eye is too short as seen in the pic below.
8Shocks001.jpg

The shocks clear all moving parts on the steering and Suspension.

8Shocks004.jpg

8Shocks002.jpg

The reason the shock on the right is leaning to the left is because it dosent have the spacers on them.
Chould anyone recmmend a cap head screw that would work on this set up ?

8Shocks003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
awesome how to, hopefully i'll be making use of it come my birthday which is this month....that's my next planned upgrade because one of my shocks is currently busted but I just keep on trucking with it, lol.

modified, how'd that double bb set up work for you ?
what piston/oil did you end up using ?

A friend of mine from the U.K and i are working on a custom build for the 8 big bore shocks.

He has orderd a 1000mm M3 bar and M3 Nyloc nuts and is cutting them at his machine shop to custom fit the xls.

He is then going to send what i need to install my shocks.

Here is some pics of his xl.

DSC00006-1.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

DSC00104.jpg

DSC00096.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Back