HPI Big Bore Shocks - Install & Pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE JUDGE

HPI Big Bore Shocks - Install & Pics (Now with upper mount fix!)

FINALLY...the HPI Big-Bore shocks arrived at my doorstep today. I was just starting my FLM build when I got on the group buy list, and that seems like forever ago. It was definitely worth waiting for, read on...

The shocks come nicely packaged in clear plastic with a foam insert...I'm sure it will look good on the LHS's shelves.
HPIBigBores001.jpg

Once they were out of the package (about 5 minutes after they arrived), I just had to compare them to my other shocks.

Big-bore vs. stock Savage shock...(Note that I have 3/8" of fuel tubing inside my stockers, so they're about that much shorter than the Big-Bores)
HPIBigBores002.jpg

...and also next to a CEN shock...
HPIBigBores003.jpg

Here's everything you get, and it's a lot...4 assembled shocks, instructions, and 3 bags; one with hardware, one with shock pistons and some odd stuff, and one full of spring preload clips. You also get 2 very cool shock wrenches for disassembly.
HPIBigBores004.jpg

Here's a shock taken apart for filling with oil; I am using 30w. You can see the white 4-hole piston in there.
HPIBigBores006.jpg

Check this out...HPI included 4 different extra pistons for each shock. There are 1.4mm straight and tapered holes, and 1.6mm straight and tapered holes. The tapered ones will soften either the compression or rebound of the shock, depending on which way they're facing. How cool is that? You can find this out in the Hellfire SS manual on HPI's site.
HPIBigBores005.jpg

Filling and bleeding the shocks:
HPIBigBores015.jpg

Once they were filled and ready to install, I took one to the scale to see if they would save any weight.
2 stock Savage shocks: 2.4oz.
HPIBigBores007.jpg

1 Big-Bore: 2.1oz. (Well, I guess it's better than nothin'!)
HPIBigBores008.jpg

The actual installation was a simple deal. First, I threaded the supplied screw (which is the same as stock) through the tower, with a metal washer on one side and 2 plastic spacers on the other.
HPIBigBores009.jpg

The metal ball goes inside this plastic sleeve, which then fits into the upper shock eye. This is the only part I really didn't like...the ball fits loosely into the sleeve and has some play to it. Also, the sleeve is shorter than the ball, allowing front-to back play. I need to find a better way someday!
HPIBigBores010.jpg

Closeup of the upper mounting...
HPIBigBores011.jpg

The lower mount is just like the stock shocks, and they include allen-head screws too. No complaints here!
HPIBigBores013.jpg

A Big bore mounted, compared to the stockers...hee hee
HPIBigBores014.jpg

...and here's the mounted pictures, showing the stance with the (stock) 18mm of preload clips. Enjoy!
HPIBigBores016.jpg

HPIBigBores019.jpg

HPIBigBores020.jpg

HPIBigBores021.jpg

HPIBigBores018.jpg

HPIBigBores017.jpg

HPIBigBores022.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks awsome Greg! They fit your truck really good, now take her for a spin for all of us :) I'm can't wait to see how they handle. Hope mine get here before the 4th

Tobias

Great post .. Made it a sticky

Wonder how a set of nova shock towers would look on that truck .... hint hint ?
plus rep

Wow, thanks Jester!

Unfortunately, I just ordered some towers from another advertiser here...those will be on (and pictures posted) in a few days!

How much oil did you use to fill all 4 shocks? was the 2 bottles from SMF enough?

2 bottles was wayyyyy too much...it took about 2/3 of a 2oz. bottle to fill all 4 shocks. No biggie, I have lots of extra for if and when I want to start playing with the different shock pistons!

Any tips for filling them i haven't filled oil shocks in forever.

Any tips for filling them i haven't filled oil shocks in forever.

Just one tip...BE PATIENT. It takes quite a while for all the bubbles to rise after you move the piston up and down, and I had to do it a few times to get all the air out. Other than that, just make sure you have some way to hold them up securely while filling/bleeding.

I already have an update to this thread...I mentioned how I don't like the upper mounting setup, so here's what I did to remedy it...

Here's a pic to show just how sloppy the ball is that fits into the sleeve for the upper shock eyelet. You can see all the space around it...what was HPI thinking???
HPIBigBores025.jpg

So, after digging around in my spares, I found my old rear turnbuckles I deleted with the Integy carriers. I popped the ball ends out, and chucked them up in my cordless drill with an allen screw and a nut. I then Dremeled them down while spinning the drill, taking a little off at a time until they fit the sleeves snugly.
HPIBigBores027.jpg

Here you can see that the turnbuckle ball end is also the same height as the sleeve, unlike the supplied ball...
HPIBigBores026.jpg

...and there ya go, a MUCH tighter-fitting setup with no $$$ invested. The washer and nut go on just like before, and the play is gone, both up/down and side-to-side.The shocks still pivot freely and smoothly too.
HPIBigBores028.jpg

It would be better if HPI simply supplied better-fitting parts up there, of course, but this method should be a permanent fix for now. Hope this helps!

i anwser that question alot why do i keep broken parts. Cause most of the time their is a good part still on it . LOL

I found for bashin they were a little soft, so I added four of the stock shocks aswell. After taking out all of the preloads, my truck floats nicely and can handle the huge air 5 times better than plain stock.

mine where a little soft also so i just put in the two hole piston in the rear and left the front with the 4 hole and now they are great,i had my friend rear end my truck with his t-maxx and bent the shock tower so far down that the upper shock bolt went into my header and fuel tank and nothing happened to the shocks at all not even a bent shaft,that made me happy the t-maxx didnt do to well whole front end is in pieces.Got to love the savage and the big bores will have pics of header and tank up soon.

OK guys, playing around with my big bores and looking in my junk pile I pulled out 4 MSR8 shocks. I pulled the springs and slapped them on the bigbores. They work perfect. I pulled all the pre-loads and the truck is smoother with the MSR8 stock springs. Ride hight is the same but the suspension is more plush and there is no spring slop.

A tad off topic but since Megabyteme said the MSR* springs work well I believe I have 8 springs so if anyone wants some let me know, I don't ever plan on really rebuilding the shocks since the shafts bend like butter

Very nice thread mate! I think they look good but the stock ones look best of all the shocks I've seen, but that's just my opinion. :)

I just got my new big bores and put some 30wt oil in. It seems like they would help cornering a hell of a lot. I however was going for a bash session so i put a stock shock on each corner as well.

Jeez they handle the jumps extremely well, a lot better than stock shocks and they handle 100% better:)

I'm headed to the local track and I'm going to run just the big bores, I'm looking forward to test these bad boys out!

I love those shocks they compare very well against the Losi shocks!! I recommend

Latest posts

Members online

Back