How do you run your fuel line?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShiftPoint

I know this seems like a simple question, but I am having a hard time deciding how to run my fuel line. I just noticed my fuel line is getting chewed up, I guess it is the shocks hitting but I am not sure as it is not in one spot but along the center. My filter has a pretty good dent on it too. If you have any pic's would be very helpful.

My pressure line is fine, no problems there.

Thanks for any ideas.

DSCN1665640x480.jpg

There ya go!

I have mine routed the same way, except mine has less line to it. I also have my fuel filter zip tied to the rear shock tower, along the top of the tower. I have my body posts mounted up higher, which gives the clearance for the zip tie.

I haven't run my truck much with this setup, but so far, everything seems to work well.

Thanks, When the new line comes I will do the same, I just have the stock stuff on there, I just have the filter bouncing around behind the motor. can't beleive how chewed up it is.

thanks

nice job guys

wister, I have a little different approach to running the fuel line.

Ill get a pic today,

I have never had any issues with halph tank lean this way.

Sounds good Crash, One of my trucks has a aftermarket shock tower and I think it will make it hard to tun the line like these guys do.

I've done the same as above. It also resolved my half-tank lean issue.

braided.fuel-3.jpg

braided.fuel-4.jpg

Well these may not help you so much as they arnt stock but it shows how mine is run on both of my trucks.

This is how it started (You can't tell very well but it was stock).
4-11--7003-1.jpg

Then turned into this mess, LOL.
2ndgearin3speedproblem004.jpg

This is my second truck, my racer. (Before)
P1010976.jpg

Now with my PlatinumRCProducts CF Chassis.
Mid-TankThrottlelinkage041.jpg

Mid-TankThrottlelinkage025.jpg

Mine's the same as whipnet's except there's a couple more loops to it for those times its on it's lid for a while.

If you run a shorter fuel line, should you be able to get more fuel pressure?
I'm thinking it could give the truck a bit more umph.

Yeah, I like that too Crash, I like how you ran it through the TVP behind the fuel tank, I think that is where mine was getting chewed up mine hits the shocks as it comes up out of the fuel tank.

This brings up another question, Is it better to have longer fuel line or shorter? I like the idea someone said how it runs longer when its on its lid, I cannot walk very fast and my truck always dies on me so that could be a big help in my case.

thanks guys

Lines are long lol

Yeah, long lines help me out a lot because I'm always on my lid! :duh:

91cu45.jpg

1pa5c7.jpg

b6r5ax.jpg

Dave

I know this seems like a simple question, but I am having a hard time deciding how to run my fuel line. I just noticed my fuel line is getting chewed up, I guess it is the shocks hitting but I am not sure as it is not in one spot but along the center. My filter has a pretty good dent on it too. If you have any pic's would be very helpful.

My pressure line is fine, no problems there.

Thanks for any ideas.

my guess would be that it's getting chewed by the spur gear, if there's enough slack in it, and if it's happening to your filter as well...

and yes, the racer's in my area all run an extra loop or 2 of fuel line for when the track marshals take their sweet time getting around to flipping their trucks rubber side down...

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought a lot of times a fuel filter would serve as a small 'reserve' tank in the event that your truck gets flipped on its lid? I have only flipped mine onto it's deck two or three times, and it's never cut out on me, but I'd say it never spent more than 10 seconds or so on its back.

This is giving me nightmares back to my days of TAM 335: Fluid Dynamics.

Anyways, I believe the formula for pressure drop in a tube is:

Δp = λ * (L/D) * (ρ/2) * ω^2

Where: Δp - pressure drop along pipe length
λ - pipe friction coefficient
L - length of pipe
D - diameter of pipe
ρ - fluid density
ω - fluid velocity

Of course, this is modeling a curved tube as an ideal straight pipe, so it's not entirely accurate, but it seems as though doubling the length would double the pressure drop between the tank and the carburetor. Of course, this does not mean that double length would equal half pressure, as this is specifically the pressure drop along the pipe length.

It seems to me that we're using small enough numbers here that the pressure drop is probably very small and hence doubling it would not have a dramatic effect, but I don't have real numbers here (nor do I have the time to figure them), so it's pretty theoretical on my part.

And of course, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong here, as I never excelled in this class and it's been a while since I've used anything from it.:istupid:

I have a question:

I ran my fuel line and filter like the pics above, but when i went to my LHS, He gave me Regular fuel line, not large..... am I supposed to be running large?

It's not lean, but i wanted to make sure that i had enough fuel? Should I change it out?

Use the size that fits the best. It needs to be a tight fit on your push on fittings to avoid air leaks, apart from that you won't notice any difference.

Latest posts

Members online

Back