Hot Racing Hardened Stl Spiral Cut Ring-Pinion Gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajdragon

Hi

Did Hot Racing change the design of the Spiral Cut Ring-Pinion Gear? The first image is from HR, the second image is what I got.

Did you buy an authentic part? I bought these from a non-authentic source and they were not the same.

They didn't exactly fit properly either, I have since swapped back to the stock hpi ones.

When I have the time to grind the spiral cut face I'll put them back. ?

Hi

I got them from RC4ME.US, and I just found out they are the weaker inferior HSF299 version that was discontinued. Now I know why they where so inexpensive.

Last edited:
I wonder if they are still stronger than the regular cut gears???
I used them in my savage for a while, could never get them to fit the diff housing perfectly so it was putting a lot of stress on the diff pinion bearings. They blew out a couple times... Though in saying that while they were in I never once stripped any gears...
They'd be good if you can get them to fit properly I reckon

I used them in my savage for a while, could never get them to fit the diff housing perfectly so it was putting a lot of stress on the diff pinion bearings. They blew out a couple times... Though in saying that while they were in I never once stripped any gears...
They'd be good if you can get them to fit properly I reckon
I recon that the spiral cut puts side loads on the bearing causing premature wear.

Hi

Well I got two sets of the HSF299X gears from T.H., unfortunately the holes in the pinion gear shafts are both off center, which is preventing me from being able to insert the connecting pins for the drive lines.

Attachments

• IMG_3864.JPG
    IMG_3864.JPG
    367.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3869.JPG
    IMG_3869.JPG
    316.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3872.JPG
    IMG_3872.JPG
    221.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3873.JPG
    IMG_3873.JPG
    258.1 KB · Views: 22
Hi

I'm Waiting on a responce from Hot Racing. Grinding is not a option, I paid nearly $100 for these two sets of gears and for that price you would think they would properly center the hole!

Last edited:
Hi

Well I could not get ahold of H.R, "or should I say they didn't get ahold of me", so I contacted T.H. instead and there going to do a return and give me a refund. While talking to them I got the impression they were not to happy with H.R. for some reason. I guess my next step will be to get B.P.'s instead.

Last edited:
Hi

I got my refund from T.H. for these gears and Tower said to do whatever I wanted with the gears. So I've been doing some tests with them and it seems there is a slight wobble in the ring gear, causing the diff to almost lock up every quarter rotation of the diff.

I had the spiral cut pinion and spur, not worth it imho!

Was an absolute mission to get them to fit, never could get them in properly without taking plastic away etc.

Once I did, the pinion bearings kept exploding, lost a whole diff housing at one point. went back to bp diffs and took my time with proper shimming. Its been fabulous since!

Hi

I got the diffs to spin a hole lot better, I had shimmed them in the wrong direction. I did not know that the X's ring gear was redesigned so it would fit in the newer X style diff case. You live and learn.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back