High performance clutch set-up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
get one of the racers edge bells and you will be fine. make sure to get a vented bell also. just got a set of rulon shoes for brian's to try but the black shoes were great with very little wear.

John how do I know I'm getting the rite bell?

also, did you have to use a nova mount to move engine back slightly?

Thanks John

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using the hpi purple motor mount and it's fine for me. The clutch bells just deeper so it doesn't affect the overall length do to the offset on the fly wheel. I like the titanium vented bells. there deep and wear great.

the other thing is when you put the flywheel not on make sure it is TIGHT. Also your bearings will ride on the shaft of the fly wheel nut. that is fine do not shim it. it is only touching the inner race not the shield. If you do want to shim it Ofna puts out a shim kit with supper thin shims for motors. you get like 25 shims of different sizes for the clutch bell and fly wheel. The other reason I don't shim it is if you do the shoes will start to expose themselves behind the clutch bell. when the clutches engage like this it will grab the edge of the bell. that is why the 14mm clutch bells that HPI will not work with the system. Last thing use the green nasty stuff from hpi to hold the tension nut on. I use a little just to be safe. the nut needs to be turned to where the lip of the nut is flush with the edge of the upper retaining ring of the clutch. With Black shoes that is equal to a 1.0mm spring. I just looked at your pics and you might want to go with the HPI steel spur or the Nova mount. I didn't realize you were using plastic spurs. I'm sorry. You have the nut where it needs to be from what I can tell.

I think I need to buy a new clutch setup after seeing this. is that the one you had on the truck at the track in your vids crash

Crash did you get that set up at your lhs or on line. just went to order it from a-main and they are b/o now. who has the best price on them

hi guys

I had bad luck finding the rite cb for this clutch

I ordered what i thought was rite and it wasnt, 17 dollar mistake
also, bought a nova engine mount 15 bucks

after buying a bucnh of stuff that didnt work, I started over and
I modded the collet that came with the clutch to work.

werksclutchpics006-1.jpg

The main problem was the shoes were sticking out the back of the cb 1mm

so I removed 1mm from the collet. The mfg. says you have 3mm of adjustment, basically I removed 1mm of the adjustablility.

If you don't like this mod ask mega for the part number of the cb that will work.

I just got a chance to run some gas through it on pavement to see the performance, I am in love with it now.

At first itseemed like a normal clutch, now seeing the power delivary on the street I am impressed.

I also pulled it apart for inspection, they look perfect after 6 tanks (no
surprise)

Yes, pmp that was the first test at the track. And I ordered my clutch from tower

Dan

http://www.gshobby.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=11212 this is the collet I modded

I have no clue why you had to remove material. the racers edge bells are truggy bells. there 17mm hpi bells are 15mm that is why the hpi bells had the back of the clutches sticking out. i'm confused on why you had to mod it.

I have no clue why you had to remove material. the racers edge bells are truggy bells. there 17mm hpi bells are 15mm that is why the hpi bells had the back of the clutches sticking out. i'm confused on why you had to mod it.

John I didnt buy a Racers Edge bell

I bought a Losi truggy bell

Hey frddyj if u go to the 5th page in this forum and scroll down to the thread Fried my Spur today there is a link for what u r lookimg for. Not real sure how to put in here for you. Not real computer smart..LOL..Hope this helps u out.

1/2 gallon update on Werks 4 shoe monster clutch set-up

werksclutchupdate004.jpg

werksclutchupdate008.jpg

werksclutchupdate009.jpg

werksclutchupdate010.jpg

werksclutchupdate013.jpg

werksclutchupdate015.jpg

werksclutchupdate019.jpg

so, they look like new.

I get 1 gallon from stock shoes and springs

I replaced the collet nut after modding it, the decrease in adjustability did come into play. I had too much of a stall before the shoes would engage, it made it hard to get around the track.

now after setting it to the recomended setting.

I just got a chance to compare the New Werks 4 shoe carbon to Nova aluminum with mugen 1.0 springs

The Nova`s grab better and more agressively then the 4 shoe carbons.

I replaced the collet nut after modding it, the decrease in adjustability did come into play. I had too much of a stall before the shoes would engage, it made it hard to get around the track.

now after setting it to the recomended setting.

I just got a chance to compare the New Werks 4 shoe carbon to Nova aluminum with mugen 1.0 springs

The Nova`s grab better and more agressively then the 4 shoe carbons.

any more adjustability in that werks clutch or do you attribute this to the carbon vs. aluminum?

any more adjustability in that werks clutch or do you attribute this to the carbon vs. aluminum?

I do think it is the carbon verse aluminum

I liked the performance of the nova better at this point but, Werks has 3 spring set-ups and 3 shoe materials to try as well. so, I will try to find a better match as I wear these carbom shoes out.

put the werks clutch back in the savy yesterday

got 2 tanks of run time today

the first tank the setting was too tight , engageing the clutch too late

all 4 tires just spin off the line on pavement

the second tank I set the clutch nut to flush with collet end, essentially the loosest setting.

much better take offs, not aggressive wheelies but, wheelies are there.

at this point I prefer the simplicity of the last setup I had (hpi xl aluminum shoes and springs)

And the aluminum shoes hit a lot harder.

I do think it is the carbon verse aluminum

I liked the performance of the nova better at this point but, Werks has 3 spring set-ups and 3 shoe materials to try as well. so, I will try to find a better match as I wear these carbom shoes out.

I'm not very impressed by the nova shoes I have now. Already had to take them out twice to debur the sides of the shoes, seems they are wearing faster than I like, going to try banks setup in another week or so.

Latest posts

Members online

Back