Hi guys New to Savage and building a new savage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northernnightmare

Hi guys glade to have found this site, After recently buying a new Savage X for 100 bucks i am now hooked on the nitro savages. Always been a clod and mad force guy.

The Savage X part of the story, well I just got the X summer mainly because it was so cheap! I was shocked to find out it was brand new maybe used once origial body and everything! Another big reason I bought her was it came with jumbo swamp kong tires also new witch i was looking for at the time. When I saw it in person my eyes almost popped out, I planned to use the big tire for a different build for obivous reason's. But when I saw the condition of the truck I was truly shocked.(I can only gess the jumbo tires made it a shelf queen for its entire life) Oh well lucky me hehehe

So i took the tires as planned for a project, and gave the X to my pops as a gift, we have been Having a blast with it ever since and it runs great. We have since switched out the roto to pull start and added a rr 52/14 gear set. Also some purple billet parts for added bling and performance, like rear caster lock blocks, front knuckles steering crank setup and bulkhead braces, oh ya a fuel cap too hehe

Onto the XL, ya so the X runs so nice and was such a blast to build I had to get another just for myself, as most know they are not currently on sale for a while now! So I set a budget to build a better XL from scratch, heres what I got so far

Carbon XL chassi
billet steering crank
Billet rear caster block lockouts
Billet front caster hubs (purple)
billet throttle crank and fuel tank mounts
Billet bulk head braces x2
Kyosho ke25 engine
RR 47/16 spure/pinion
Rear dual exhaust pipe
yeah race engine mounts
Ofna linkage setup
integy three shoe flywheel/clutch
New hpi three speed box and dual disc brake
Hardend front drive
kyosho 1/8 hardened helical diffs
Rc best CVD shafts all around
Imex jumbo rims
Pro line or Imex maxx tires
New ebay partout oem parts include
orange billet flux parts/ XL engine mount
flux composite bulks/shock towers
New x/xl radio box

Still need a fuel tank, a xl size body and bumpers f/r

Also need a handfull of oem screws and little parts but am waiting on a few in the mail the rest i have yet to source, they are so hard to get parts for.

I will try to post pics when i have extra time to take some first.

Look forward to hearing from you savage experts

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi guys glade to have found this site, After recently buying a new Savage X for 100 bucks i am now hooked on the nitro savages. Always been a clod and mad force guy.

The Savage X part of the story, well I just got the X summer mainly because it was so cheap! I was shocked to find out it was brand new maybe used once origial body and everything! Another big reason I bought her was it came with jumbo swamp kong tires also new witch i was looking for at the time. When I saw it in person my eyes almost popped out, I planned to use the big tire for a different build for obivous reason's. But when I saw the condition of the truck I was truly shocked.(I can only gess the jumbo tires made it a shelf queen for its entire life) Oh well lucky me hehehe

So i took the tires as planned for a project, and gave the X to my pops as a gift, we have been Having a blast with it ever since and it runs great. We have since switched out the roto to pull start and added a rr 52/14 gear set. Also some purple billet parts for added bling and performance, like rear caster lock blocks, front knuckles steering crank setup and bulkhead braces, oh ya a fuel cap too hehe

Onto the XL, ya so the X runs so nice and was such a blast to build I had to get another just for myself, as most know they are not currently on sale for a while now! So I set a budget to build a better XL from scratch, heres what I got so far

Carbon XL chassi
billet steering crank
Billet rear caster block lockouts
Billet front caster hubs (purple)
billet throttle crank and fuel tank mounts
Billet bulk head braces x2
Kyosho ke25 engine
RR 47/16 spure/pinion
Rear dual exhaust pipe
yeah race engine mounts
Ofna linkage setup
integy three shoe flywheel/clutch
New hpi three speed box and dual disc brake
Hardend front drive
kyosho 1/8 hardened helical diffs
Rc best CVD shafts all around
Imex jumbo rims
Pro line or Imex maxx tires
New ebay partout oem parts include
orange billet flux parts/ XL engine mount
flux composite bulks/shock towers
New x/xl radio box

Still need a fuel tank, a xl size body and bumpers f/r

Also need a handfull of oem screws and little parts but am waiting on a few in the mail the rest i have yet to source, they are so hard to get parts for.

I will try to post pics when i have extra time to take some first.

Look forward to hearing from you savage experts

Cheers
You need to post some Pictures... that a lot what you did...

Thanks didnt know dollarhobby had a store only used e-bay so far yikes, I must a blew a bunch on e-bay single item shipping lol

That body is just what I need (even the color is good) but a bit pricey for me, might have to do that HPI oem unit though, I kinda wanted the vintage dodge looking lid (mopar guy)

I just got back from the LHS and got a small bundle of things I needed, yahoo!

Will do pictures asap, Of both savages!

That body is just what I need (even the color is good) but a bit pricey for me, might have to do that HPI oem unit though, I kinda wanted the vintage dodge looking lid (mopar guy)

You can check Proline or Team Blue Groove and look for any of the available 1/8 Truck bodies, most all can be fitted to a Savage XL easily enuff......

http://stores.ebay.com/TEAM-BLUEGROOVE
Be aware most of the TBG bodies come minus window masks and decal sets...

https://www.prolineracing.com/monster-truck-bodies
They even have a Ram body available

https://parmapse.shptron.com/k/search?q=1/8+truck+bodys&x=0&y=0

so with that I just have to say most any body can be made to fit with a bit of careful trimming and fitting before laying your paint down.....

Finally got some pic's of how the build is coming along, i got almost all the parts to complete just waiting on the rcbest cvd shafts, i hope they are quality and show up soon.

I got all sorts of 17mm buggy hubs and other bling parts to add once the shafts and 3 paw clutch/ flywheel shows up

I like the ke25 over the f4.6 and run allot in all my other kyosho rc's, so i thought id use as many kyosho parts as i can, to substitute all the missing hpi parts that are out of stock.

Attachments

• IMG_2835.JPG
    IMG_2835.JPG
    286.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2843.JPG
    IMG_2843.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2844.JPG
    IMG_2844.JPG
    247 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2646.JPG
    IMG_2646.JPG
    264.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Nice looking set up, nicely done for sure. What brand are your tvp? Are the shocks Integy?

Smart move on the engine. In my opinion, anything more than a .28 leads to worn out drive parts much sooner.

Yes the shocks are integy, I bit the bullet and bought a set of x8 not sure why they sell as a set of eight as they are big bore, they even have stiffer springs to the black hpi xl bb shocks. I am will be only useing 4x for obvious reasons. They look nice and the rezies do hold extra oil and seem to work very nice once tuned. (they needed modified pistons and 20wt oil, I also added a internal bump stop to prevent stiction at full stroke)

At 159 for 8x being enough for two trucks, Id say they are still a good deal imo

Attachments

• IMG_2599.JPG
    IMG_2599.JPG
    382.7 KB · Views: 1
Ya the ke25 seem's to hold a tune so well for me, And is defently more of a top end motor.

The hpi engines seem to like a leaner tune, (at least from my perspective) I find once you tune the hpi engines for more top end you start loosing the the bottom mid-range grunt they are so well known for, so its a fine line.

The ke25 can smoke like crazy and still rev all the way out. And is easier to start with its LSN in a way ritcher position, it just hates a high idle though.

Item# C25124BLUE

They also got #C25124 Green, Purple, and Red in stock. (Blue is currently out of stock)

And also another set of x4 BB shocks $79 a bit different style. Item# T6723RED

I do like them, just not sure they are worth $160 lol. I have the hpi big bores now but I keep busting the top eyelets. What's your over all opinion on them, any leaking?

This thing is almost done, ordered new purple shock towers x2 and some more purple bulk head braces also x2 as the ordered ones never showed up, must of got lost in the christmass mail rush?

I got a few new cheap bodies for now but will be ordering the unbreakable unit when funds allow.

Only still need the damb skid plates and bumpers, but will be very exited to show it off very soon on hpisavage, thanks for all your help guys!

Beautiful build. Love all the color. Reminds me of my old savage. I had all kinds of bright anodized aluminum and different colored silicone parts. Very nice. My question is... What's the story on the kyosho diffs? Are they a direct fit of do they require a mod or special parts? I just finished a full ebay basket case build on a flux and couldn't find 29tooth hpi diffs anywhere. I ended up going with spiral cut hot racing gears which have held up well so far... But I'm always interested in options. Are the kyosho diffs up to the demands of a brushless setup on oversized tires? What model are they from?

Thanks bud ya i love the colors too! As far as the diffs go they are hardened helical Mad force/fo-xx units also belive they are the same to most infernos/neo st... the gear ratio is a very low gear ratio best used for nitro savages, but Kyosho do offer higher ratio units but are not as commen

Yes the diffs are a externally the same and drop in, even the shim stacks that are used on the kyosho fit directly. The gear ratio is best suited for nitro, or a unit with big tires.

So the gear ratio goes like this.

Cen diffs are 9/26 or 2.88:1
HPI BP are 9/29 or 3.2:1
Sav X gears are 13/43 or 3.31:1
Kyosho are 10/43 or 4.3:1

To run the Kyosho diffs you need to either switch out the output cup to the save x/xl or run the correct kyosho dog bones

I use the kyosho engine, diffs, center rear dog bones x4 and axle stubs they all fit. The stubs use the commen 17mm buggy hex with a grub screw not the wacky stepped units like x/xl

I never broke a diff or axle part even with jumbo kong tires, and they are good for 2200kv power as thats how they come in all the VE's.

Last edited:
Here is our X that I mentioned earlier we got for 100 bucks, I only added some of the purple parts the custom rims and body, so it was a great deal and brand new. Works really great in the snow!

Attachments

• IMG_0058.JPG
    IMG_0058.JPG
    305 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0055.JPG
    IMG_0055.JPG
    247.7 KB · Views: 3
Those tires are ridiculous! I thought the aftershock/lst tires were monsters! You'd need a 300oz+ servo to turn them!

I had the aftershock/lst1 tires on mine for a bit for winter driving back in the day:
2008-1226-SavageAftershockTiresFront.jpg

That purple and green savage x is frikin awesome! Love the colors. I spray all my body's fluorescent colors, I love that look for a monster truck. Thanks for the info in the diffs, that's really cool that they drop in. Makes me feel better about the parts issue that hpi has. I've been kind of playing nice with my savage trying to not blow a diff. Maybe now I'll give it its come uppins

Last edited:
That's my savage xs. I'm going to paint a body for my flux soon. I dig the green and white on the semi truck body. Might have to get some green paint!

First off olds97 those lst tires look great on there, and ya a power full sevo is needed but seem to work pretty good, maybe run out of reciver pac charge faster only last 15/20mins for a small old hump pack.
The rims are custom 5" wide bead to bead, but still kinda light, the foam in tire is also lighter than normal.

Thanks allot wheelspin, I like your XS tires and lid color also! The Semi bodies are availble on nitro xrc for cheap at ~$15 in different colors, but are thick and somewhat brittle at least in the cold. The shock springs are bought off ebay. They are called works performance springs or something like that, but the color and performance is great. Heres a link
Works for Competition-HPI Savage 25 4.6 X Xl Yellow Rally Type Off R-SAVSP117138

Hi guys my XL is done, and the russian unbreakable body showed up today! so here's my quick overview

IMG_0299.JPG IMG_0300.JPG .
Body looks nice very flexable, but still tuff to hold its shape, the add said it comes trimmed witch it did (nicely), also said it comes with front and rear graphics witch it did not!, lucky i got the graphic leftover from a hpi body that i never painted.

Overall... are there minor blems, yes. Can you see them, well not really. Would I buy another, I think so but i want the graphics next time and maybe the color i actually ordered (was supposed to be black) But blue look good too just not matching my orange and purple color all over.

I also found some loge since discontinued, Jumbo claws on rims locally one of my favorite setups, very stable but still light and with great traction.

Thanks for reading

Last edited:
Thanks bud! you can see the same body on my spare parts spare time jumbo 4x4x4 puller. Make the xl body look funny.

I might have to order right away a unbreakable x-maxx size body for it, they make one that looks like a old long box chey now, thank god I never liked the look of the stock traxxas body.

Attachments

• IMG_0298.JPG
    IMG_0298.JPG
    343.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0301.JPG
    IMG_0301.JPG
    298.2 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back