Hi everyone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savagebeast93

Hi everyone. Just signed up to say hi to the community. Seems like a decent one with plenty of knowledgeable people! I’ve been into nitro for about 3-4 years.

I owned a firestorm 10T for most of that time and have just upgraded to Savage XL. I got it second hand on eBay but it has had quite a lot done to it. Picco .28 engine, tuned pipe (can’t remember which one) fast lane aluminium chassis and engine plate. Big bore shocks, high tec servos, aluminium integy rear hub carriers, integy aluminium front and back arms and shock towers, roll cage, upgraded differentials, there is probably a lot more but to be honest I haven’t had it long enough to be able to tell.

Just wanted to ask you guys what you think? Is this is a decent set up? It’s running 13/47 on the gearing with the picco .28 but it won’t wheelie? Any ideas why? Could be tuning?

Attachments

• 5EBF0FE0-51BA-4EA2-91B0-CDBEEED0E931.jpeg
    5EBF0FE0-51BA-4EA2-91B0-CDBEEED0E931.jpeg
    348.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 854140DB-3193-454F-9012-790F8E455CB4.jpeg
    854140DB-3193-454F-9012-790F8E455CB4.jpeg
    350.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 81FB9FD5-0A49-410C-A822-3C760623C032.jpeg
    81FB9FD5-0A49-410C-A822-3C760623C032.jpeg
    360.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 91D2490C-C0AF-408C-8E6B-24BFD891C42C.jpeg
    91D2490C-C0AF-408C-8E6B-24BFD891C42C.jpeg
    273.7 KB · Views: 7
Welcome @Savagebeast93!

To be honest, even if the tune isn't necessarily your issue (and it very well could be), I would still re-tune it from factory settings. Probably replace the glow plug and fuel lines as well because your don't know how new they are.

Not sure how much that roll cage weighs, but I know when I had that wheel/tire combo it had a much harder time doing wheelies. Not only are those wheel/tires rough on the drivetrain, but they are quite heavy.

Cheers for the advice. When I first got it it didn’t have a roll cage on and it didn’t wheelie then.....but the stock body offers very little in the way of protection and a couple of flips and crashed later I had smashed my motor saver air filter to pieces. ? I’m no expert at tuning but when I try to lean it out on the HSN if I lean to much, after I’ve accelerated hard it won’t idle the same as it did before accelerating if that makes sense? The spur gear and clutch seem to be moving back and forth on their own until I richen the engine again. Adjusting the idle fixes the problem temporarily but it goes right back to doing it after accelerating unless I richen it back down a half turn or so.

Yeah it shifts into second but it’s a 3 speed...come to think of it I haven’t heard it shift into 3rd. How would I check it to see if it was starting in second and if so how would I fix that?

Hey man my Savage X has the stock pinion 17T and stock Spur 47T and i can make it wheelie on full stop then WOT with using 20% Nitro Cosmo Fuel. My savage X has no modifications whatsover but here are the things I did to make it wheelie.

1. Use new glow plug - Since yours is second hand
2. Reset to factory tune and tune it the best you can.
3. Check fuel lines / replace if old - Since yours is second hand
4. Most important is tighten the slipper clutch as tight as you can - just make sure you have proper mesh so you wont damage your gears.
5. You can also stiffen the shock oil you use at the rear use about 40wt - 50wt, cant explain this much but you know how gravity works right so the stiffer the rear the more it presses to the ground when you rev something like that..
6. As some said, check shift point of your transmission, it might be shifting too early as you have 13T pinion that means you have higher torque so it should wheelie with ease.

Here is a clip of my Savage X uploaded on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwZbZAejFZY&t=8s

Note: I didnt know I'm in Savage XL page but my suggestions apply as well. Goodluck!

Hey man my Savage X has the stock pinion 17T and stock Spur 47T and i can make it wheelie on full stop then WOT with using 20% Nitro Cosmo Fuel. My savage X has no modifications whatsover but here are the things I did to make it wheelie.

4. Most important is tighten the slipper clutch as tight as you can - just make sure you have proper mesh so you wont damage your gears.
5. You can also stiffen the shock oil you use at the rear use about 40wt - 50wt, cant explain this much but you know how gravity works right so the stiffer the rear the more it presses to the ground when you rev something like that..
6. As some said, check shift point of your transmission, it might be shifting too early as you have 13T pinion that means you have higher torque so it should wheelie with ease.

Note: I didnt know I'm in Savage XL page but my suggestions apply as well. Goodluck!

Thanks for the reply. I will trying all of this asap. I feel like it is definitely starting in second by the transmission looks hella complicated to take apart. I will consult the manual to check.

It might be starting off in second gear. Do you know how to adjust the shift points?

Hi, sorry for the long reply time. I'm unsure of how to adjust the shift points. I know that you can adjust one of the shift points through a hole and the other one you have to dismantle the transmission to get at. If it is starting in second what would be your advice? thanks

Thanks for all the info...I found a great video on youtube that explains how to get at the adjustment screw for the shift between 1st and second gear. I think this is defo the problem so will try to adjust it when I get home from work.

Latest posts

Members online

Back