Gearing Setup (Feedback)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James B.Valencia

Would like to get your performance feedback from those running this setup which I plan on doing to my Savage XL:

LRP. 32 / Dynamite 086 tuned pipe / Robinson Racing 48/16 gearing

How was your bottom-end and top-end performance?
I mostly bash and not too interested on always doing wheelies, just want a snappy start-off with some good top-end.

Appreciate any other recommendations.

Last edited:
Is a savage XL geared differently than a savage X? By that I mean from the trans to the wheels.

I run 16/47 gearing on my X with BP diffs and an LRP28S3. I could probably go up a tooth or two on the CB as it wheelies very easy in first gear with occasional wheelies when it hits second.

I'm using a Losi HT pipe from an LST2.

I'm running a steel spur as I wasn't able to go any higher gearing than 15/49 without it slipping when it shifted into second. The engine had more power than the slipper could deal with in 2nd gear and it would slip once, then glaze and be useless pretty quick, then melt the center out of the spur. That was with a fully compressed slipper spring.

With the steel HPI spur, I fully compressed it, then turned it a touch more and it's been fine this way for a couple years. Probably only a gallon or so of fuel through it. I'm running XL aluminum shoes as the clutch would slip too much. I also upgraded to the XL/flux (not sure which) dogbones/drive cups. Now it's just fun to drive and tough.

I just installed 47/17 gearing on my Savage XL. I've noticed a good amount of improvement on the top-end and I'm still able to do wheelies on demand.

My LRP.32 seemed to really open up on 2nd and 3rd gear after I adjusted them to shift later. I was surprised by the amount of improvement as I'm still running the stock pipe (waiting for my Dynamite 086 to come in).

I just hope the other stock parts on my Savage XL can hold up to the power increase.

Would be nice if HPI would figure out something better for the center axles. They beefed up the outer dogbones/cups, but left the center ones that take the most punishment small and generally weak. They tend to wear pretty bad and cause notches in the cup that cause binding.

I guess replacing them once a year isn't bad... just would be nice not to have to worry about them.

Would be nice if HPI would figure out something better for the center axles. They beefed up the outer dogbones/cups, but left the center ones that take the most punishment small and generally weak. They tend to wear pretty bad and cause notches in the cup that cause binding.

I guess replacing them once a year isn't bad... just would be nice not to have to worry about them.
There is hardend cups that you can get not sure how much better they are as I am waiting for mine to come.

There is hardend cups that you can get not sure how much better they are as I am waiting for mine to come.

If you mean the chrome ones, they don't hold up hardly any better than the black ones. Or did they come out with some new hardened ones to handle brushless and the XL engine?

I just installed 47/17 gearing on my Savage XL. I've noticed a good amount of improvement on the top-end and I'm still able to do wheelies on demand.

My LRP.32 seemed to really open up on 2nd and 3rd gear after I adjusted them to shift later. I was surprised by the amount of improvement as I'm still running the stock pipe (waiting for my Dynamite 086 to come in).

I just hope the other stock parts on my Savage XL can hold up to the power increase.

I installed a Dynamite 086 pipe to my setup. Maybe it's just me but I didn't notice too much of a performance increase compared to the stock pipe. Also seemed like I lost some bottom-end power but gained a slight increase in top-end. I think it had better power balance with the stock HPI pipe.

Anybody have experience with the Dynamite 086 pipe?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back