Gearing for Savage XL running k4.6??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badgio

Just got myself a nice Savage XL, it is second hand but looked really nice and had the k4.6 which I read holds a tune better than the 5.9.

The first time I fired it up it ran really badly so I decided to take the engine out and check for leaks before trying to tune. it had a few leaks which I have sealed up (followed Squirelod on youtube).

Before I put it all back together I was wanted to replace the spur and clutch bell as they are both pretty worn but can't seem to find the a direct replacement for the ones installed. So what gearing would you guys suggest for an XL running the 4.6 and is there anything else I should look at before putting it back together?

Cheers guys

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the speedy reply Jam..

The gearing at the moment is 49/14, how will the 48/16 effect things? Will it change acceleration/top speed? And whats the likelihood I'll have to adjust the gearbox (looks as tho that could be outside of my skill level at the moment!!)

Thanks Francis, 47/16... more options!! :confused:

:D

your :ercm: is on a sliding mount, just adjust the mesh and make the spur and bell mesh correctly, not too tight on the mesh you want a slight tick of play between the 2 gears

Thanks Jam

Has anyone run the 4.6 in the XL?? And what was your experience??

I run 47/17 with an LRP. 32 on my Savage XL.
Its got very good top-end and can still wheelie on demand...like Francis said, tighten the slipper all the way through and your good to go. The stock XL gearing is 52/16 so you'll diffinately notice the jump in top speed.

With 47/17 and 47/16, you'll need to adjust the 2 and 3 speed tranny to shift later. What I did was turn the 2 speed adjustment screw all the way in, then backed it 2 turns out so it shifts later. You'll need to play around with you adjustments to better suit your personal preference.

Sorry if it may seem a bit confusing but here's a video on how to adjust the tranny shifting.

Also I previously ran a 4.6 on my XL a few months back..it was good for bashing.

Last edited:
Just the answer I was looking for... thanks James!!

I'll give it whirl!!

My gearbox seems to be different to the one in the video, first thing I notice is no screws on the top. Anyone know what box I have?

sav gearbox.jpg

Jep. That is a pre X gearbox.. (savage 21/25/SS)
I advise you to get yourself an X gearbox for easy access..
Especially if you need to tune a 3speed.

You might want to check if the rest of the truck is XL.

Thanks Caretaker

So do I just need the gearbox casing or a whole new box??

That's the older savage 25 style gear box. As for what transmission is in it is hard to say until you open it up.

It is odd that someone would put in a worse than stock part. Only thing I can think of is that they had trouble with their original trans and replaced it. Sadly they didn't know enough to buy the version with the X style case.

Cheers buddy... Only thing is I'm in the UK!! :)

Do you think I should put in a 3 speed as its an XL or is 2 speed ok??

And I assumed mine was a 3 speed due to the two adjusters on the side??

One of the best things about the Savage 25 Is I found the trans "3 speed" is a direct bolt in upgrade. The Dif'z are drop in replacement as well, from a newer Savage. The Old reverse from the 2 speed fit like a glove into the 3 speed as well. I picked up a Savage 25 for $50.00 as the engine was locked solid. disassembled it, cleaned it and now it's a bash king!
As for the servo movement on it's own I did run into a bad connection at the plastic plug side, wire into small red box. Solder and heat shrink fixed it.

Latest posts

Members online

Back