Drivetrain Upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun

I'm going to be putting the xtm 457 engine in soon and I'm thinking a drivetrain upgrade and stuff is needed as this engine has ALOT more power then the stock 4.1 I'm just needing some advice as which way is the best way to go!!

Just add some good diffs, if you haven't allready. I run aluminum diffs, shimed, MPI cvd's( Stock bones are fine), aluminum clutch shoes, just a pain to clean them every so often. I run an OS .30 it's got gobbs of tork, never had much drive train probs.

my sav x came with the alum diff cases as a extra in the box are they strong enough?

oh and thanks for your help!!...................

The great thing about drivetrain components is you know when to upgrade. Upgrade when it breaks. I have run 3 engines on the stock drivetrain and have never broken anything.

cool!! i've just heard alot of people say u should upgrade your drivetrain when putting in a powerful engine thats all!! thanks for the info!!

yea the new hpi diff cases look pretty well built and shoud handle the power good. I would build them throwem in and if somethen breaks then upgrade. or run what ya have untill they blow then put them in.

i'll put the motor in and get it set up and broke in and see how things are holding up and take it from there thanks for the advice!!

Heck I just wrecked a rear dogbone on my stock .21 :hardlaugh: it started to twist and then bent and spit out

:hardlaugh: I have gotten 3 of those my self, it comes from landing jumps while on the gas. I think the stock dog bones are actually stronger then the sliver "harden" ones.

seriously? Cause I was gettin ready to order a set of 4 of the silver ones.

I thought about CVDs but I just installed the HPI 17mm hub conversion and it's got special outer stub shafts. Ya can get the CVD with that style but I don't want to spend the $$$

my .28 stresses my savy out pretty good but the stock stuff is still holding out really well,plus its so cheap to replace stock stuff,i did have a diff go out an i upgraded with the stock stuff,it has about a gallon on it an no probs.

well as i said earlier i think i'll stick to the stock drivetrain and see what happens!! if something breaks maybe then i'll upgrade

thanks for your help guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The hpi HD drive shafts snap, the stock ones have some give in them and will bend but still work fine.

i agree

The hpi HD drive shafts snap, the stock ones have some give in them and will bend but still work fine.

I have never broke a drive shaft to the wheels

the centers do break pretty easy , hd is a must.

I did try to harden the strock ones too see how strong they can be but, not much changed.

I have broke a hd one too, but they are alot stronger than stock.

buy two of everything. lol
sigs_misc_017.gif

I have an O.S. 30vg in my X. I waited til something broke. The stock shoes should be good for about a gallon or so. I also shattered a rear center drive shaft. I still use stock diffs, I'd love to upgrade to the cen mod. Peace.

once i start getting harder on my truck I'm probabally going to go with the cen diffs myself!! there almost bullet proof and apparently are really smooth getting the power to the wheels

who has tested

once i start getting harder on my truck I'm probabally going to go with the cen diffs myself!! there almost bullet proof and apparently are really smooth getting the power to the wheels

I have not found anyone who has tested the so called cen conversion.

I have not found anyone useing it for that matter.

What have you found shaun?:dunno:
sigs177.gif

jt's been doing the mod for people actually i've spoke to him about it but just haven't done it yet!! he did a whole write up about how to do it he calls them gst diffs "same thing" lol its under jt's mods

when i spoke with jt he told me there SUPER strong and deliver really smooth power to the wheels!! he built a set for sj and last time i heard he still hasn't trashed them and they do call him the diff stripper for a reason so i've heard lol

what do you mean " once i start getting harder ". Drive that thing hard man
It loves the abuse. Peace.

oh don't worry i bash it fairly hard but what i meant was if i plan on launching it 30 feet like some of u guys do i think i'll upgrade first lol

I think it's time for the cen diff upgrade. Blew my rear diff after half a tank. Crap.

find someone

I think it's time for the cen diff upgrade. Blew my rear diff after half a tank. Crap.

Thumper can you tell me one person that is running the cen set up rite now.

I have tried to get a review and no one evan has a set
'
The only set made here, have been resold three times .
thats wierd.

Upgrade the x style diffs with shimms.

No I don't but if they have been resold and haven't broken yet. I would think that is a good sign. Don't know when I'll get to it. Right now it's riding the bench. Peace.

why would someone take out good diffs and sell them .

then buy so called weaker ones?

I will stick with the hpi style like the people that sold theyr cen diffs. untill someone steps up and stakes theyr rep on this mod.

insert review here please________________________________________________________________________________________________

testing testing is this thing on? JJ Ive tried to get a review on this mod and could not.

Latest posts

Members online

Back