Dog bones/CVDs and diff out drives are the bain of my existence

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTBikerTim

Brushless Power!!!
Why do I always have so much trouble with these things. Every time I take my truck out I bend a CVD or in the case of my nitro I snap dog bones. Also I wear out the diff out drives at a crazy rate. What's going on?

I have been really lucky with my brusless savage because I have been able to just straighten the CVDs. And this is super lucky really because they don't make the mip cvds I am using any more and it's a real shame because they are great. So if anyone has some of the black mip cvds lying around in good nick I'll buy them for spares.

Also any tips on getting the out drives to last longer? Does anyone know if grease and the sports works booties help?

Also I am still waiting on the XL driveshaft conversion which I ordered probably 6 months ago now. Has any one that used to bend bog bones daily had more luck with these? And do the out drives last longer?

Here are some pics of my most recent bent CVD. I was lucky I noticed this early, I was racing and everytime I tried to accelerate hard the truck would take off to the left.

DSC00178.JPG

DSC00182.JPG

DSC00185.JPG

So no one has any brilliant ideas on why this always happens and how to fix it? I must admit this CVD looks a lot better then I was expecting it too.

CVD's rarely hold up to bashing at least on the Savage. Dog bones do snap but a great upgrade to them is the FLM Super Duty Dog bones from the SMF Store, they run about ~$7 each but will last. As for the Drive cups they do wear out, if you get the chrome ones they last longer as they are heavier duty but do wear out. If you run in sand or dirty environments it will wear quicker. This is part of Wear and Tear.

CVD's rarely hold up to bashing at least on the Savage. Dog bones do snap but a great upgrade to them is the FLM Super Duty Dog bones from the SMF Store, they run about ~$7 each but will last. As for the Drive cups they do wear out, if you get the chrome ones they last longer as they are heavier duty but do wear out. If you run in sand or dirty environments it will wear quicker. This is part of Wear and Tear.

I have been using the FLM dog bones in my nitro savage for a long time. They tend not to snap like the stokers but I seem to be able to bend them way too easy. These CVDs have actually lasted longer then anything else I have tried but I am yet to try the XL dog bones. It a real shame these MIP CVDs aren't made anymore.

I'll have to see if I can find some of my old FLM dog bones. I'll post some picks if I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
i use the xl dog bones and havnt broke or bent one yet . i have tried all other forms of dogbones and they snap or bend easily. as for the drive cup wear i havnt seen any yet but i clean and oil them after every run to help with the wear.

MT, IRC (innovatice rc) also makes a set of 123mm dogbones for the savage (diff to axle). I personally haven't tried them yet and I'm not sure if anyone here has. It's another option for you to look into. If anybody has used these, please let him know your thoughts. They are only 18 bucks for a full set (all 4). Here'a the link.

http://www.innovative-rc.com/produc...d=290&osCsid=3a2ea84c971815d9353e685ce1fd0601

i use the xl dog bones and havnt broke or bent one yet . i have tried all other forms of dogbones and they snap or bend easily. as for the drive cup wear i havnt seen any yet but i clean and oil them after every run to help with the wear.

What motor are you running? I'll definitely be giving the XL bones a go. I wonder if the oil is what makes the difference. Could you be a bit more specific about how and what you oil them with?

I'm curious if oiling or greasing makes the difference to the wear. Or if my wear is just down to the stupid LRP and brushless motor.

Funnily enough GPM titanium dogbones have been proven to be the most durable...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back