Do I need new clutch shoes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at the part number, and it shows the ring gear and the pinion included as a set. I don't need a new ring gear. Is there a way to get just the pinion gear? I know, I'm cheap.

Trust me you do need a new ring gear, replacing just the pinion will result in premature wear on both parts....

Trust me you do need a new ring gear, replacing just the pinion will result in premature wear on both parts....

He's right. You didn't do that much damage to the pinion without doing atleast a little to the ring gear.

After digging into it, I think that the previous owner has been into the diff before and didn't put the spacers back on an that caused there to be too much play between the bearing and the axel cup on one side. This eventually caused the bearing to completely blow apart and then that led to the stripped pinion. I just ordered the parts at the LHS and will replace the ring gear per you guys' advice when they arrive. Can't wait to get this beast up and roaring again!

UPDATE: Okay, today I finally got the Savage all put back together. I now have the Bullet Proof diffs in the front and rear axels, as well as a Rotostart plate installed on the engine. It's taken a while due to my schedule and a mixup with the LHS on ordering parts. I might have to wait a few days now before I fire it up and try it out. I do have a question: What direction should I have my cordless drill set to when I go to start the engine? Righty tighty, or lefty loosey???

Latest posts

Members online

Back