Do I need new clutch shoes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vvajk

image.jpg So I bought this Savage XL 5.9 from a guy claiming that he just barely broke in the engine. Truck looked super clean. Anyway, so the engine tends to heat up really quickly and there are times it is revving pretty high, but the truck seems gutless. I was thinking clutch shoes (even though it's supposed to be a new truck). The shoes do look worn and the inside of the clutch bell actually has a groove worn into it. Do I need new clutch shoes? What about a clutch bell?
image.jpg

You could try cleaning that for sure! Lol. Use degreaser and then sandpaper. Sand that ridge out if you can. Its hard to tell how deep that groove is from the picture. Also make sure your slipper clutch is not slipping. This could cause the problem you described, and is more likely in my opinion. Get a new clutch set up for both anyway. A few spare parts around never hurts an rc enthusiast... just my two cents.

As fz1dave mentioned, it's tough to say on those pads/ clutch bell and I do agree on replacing. Another thought as far as your high revving and no power is that perhaps your tune is quite off, or you have an air leak.

I would seal the engine using the following method:
http://www.savage-central.com/modules.php?file=viewtopic&name=forums&t=54465

And reset your engine to stock needle settings, for a K5.9 they should be the following:

HSN: Flush with groove
LSN: Flush with case
IDEL: 1 mm

Then re-tune when the engine is good and warmed up.

mmm, I don't think that the shoes are too bad. I would sand the bell down, however. as for the engine, it could be any of the mentioned things. tune, slipper, and an air leak. I would check to make sure the bolts are all tight that hold the carb on, and then seal it. also, check to make sure that ur air filter is on right.

I say lightly sand the shoes and bell , spray it all clean and reassemble..... make sure to check everything out well and start again.....
Good Luck with it and WELCOME to the forum......

wait, I would actually get a new bell. I just saw how deep that groove is. even if u manage to sand it, it would weaken it too much.

Not sure how one can actually tell how deep the groove is in that bell by a pic. it is nothing more than the point on the shoes where the springs ride at, I doubt is much to worry about unless it is excessively deep, a light sanding and cleaning and put it back on the engine......

look at the pic of the clutch bell closely. u can see that the scratch is very deep. it would take a lot of sanding to get rid of that. it looks like it's halfway through the bell

I don't think it's a tuning issue. I should clarify that when I said it revs high, but doesn't go ... that's when I'm actually giving it throttle. The engine itself responds, but the acceleration seems weak. I will clean up the clutch and perhaps even replace the bell. So for the slipper, do I just tighten the nut in front of the spring on the spur gear?
And thanks everyone for the responses. I'm excited to be here and to be a Savage owner.

For the slipper , I tighten all the way down and back off just a hair, you only want the slipper to work when at a very high load.... maybe take it apart and check the pad for wear.....

Okay, I had a few minutes before heading off for work tonight and pulled my spur gear off to have a look at the slipper. What do you guys think of this clutch pad? Needs replacing? The spring was tightened down sufficiently.
Also, I noticed that the gears inside the tranny are bone dry, as in no grease. Should there be some grease on those gears?
image.jpg

By the looks of it being all glazed it was slipping quite alot...I would get another one...reset it and try it out again....

yea, replace that pad. they sell hd ones, I belive. and no, there shouldn't be any grease in the gears. so ur good. just make sure that ur bearings are lubed.

Ya nut is right HPI does not use any grease inside the Savage gearcase, but me being from the old school have to disagree with no grease on steel gears so I used a light coat of lithium grease on my transmission gears and have noticed it makes it run a bit quieter as well as lubing the steel gears somewhat.....

I suppose a light coat of grease won't hurt anything.

Okay, just snagged the last slipper clutch pad at the LHS. Gonna slap it on and clean up the clutch bell. Hope this solves my problem. I'll let ya'll know.

UPDATE: So after putting on a new slipper clutch pad and cleaning up and sanding the clutch bell, I'm still having slippage issues. Maybe a new clutch bell? Tighten the slipper a bit more? Engine is running STRONG. Where else can slippage happen? Could it be the tranny somehow? Sometimes it almost seems like it is in between gears ... like it might not be down shifting back into 1st ... I don't know.

how far is the slipper tightened? also, there is a one way bearing inside the tranny, could be that...check ur wheels. the hex might be worn out

After reading through this it looks like you have checked the normal stuff if you lock the slipper all the way down per Jam's suggestion (which is how I run all my trucks as I don't jump them a lot anymore), I would look to make sure the actual flywheel is tight on the shaft of the engine. The flywheel generally has a brass bushing or collet if you will (that is pressed into the flywheel) sometimes the flywheel nut can back off just a bit causing some slippage.in this area, I have had it happen in the past on a different vehicle. If all else fails I would check that and make sure LOCTITE is used when re-tightening. Should the collet show signs of slippage I would replace and try again, also check you diffs and make sure they are in good shape.

Okay, you guys have given me more things to check and try. I should say that the problem is intermittent. Sometimes the truck hooks up great and then sometimes it's like it's in sometimes a mysterious neutral gear.

So, I think I may have found the culprit to my slipping issue in my rear differential. It doesn't sound good ... what do ya'll think?

well sounds like that is grinding some to me, time for a tear down and see what is broken.....

I would have to say that is a big part of your troubles :D

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back