Cen shocks comparison/ vs savage stockers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy

On ebay I found 8 cen shocks for 34 bucks shipped ... gotta say they are way nicer then the stock savage shocks .. Just bolted on no problems at all .. Will be doing some serious bash testing on these .. Will let you guys know how they hold up ...

Shocks mounted ..
IMG_1519.jpg

Side by Side comparison..
IMG_1518.jpg

Ride height difference..(if any) .. Note running a lower profile tire w/ the cen shocks .. still they are the same in ride hight
IMG_1520.jpg

I ran four at the WF for racing and i'd have to say that 4 is a great set up for racing. I found the shock oil that came it them was a little to light for my liking so I threw in some 45 and that did the trick for me.

Jester, do you have any way or something you could compare them to so I could see if they would work on my MGT?

I've told you guys...these shocks are pretty sweet...slightly more than stockers, but compared to the cost of the LST kit, the CEN's are, hands down, worth every penny...

I've seen you drive.

That being said... Yer gonna tear 'em up, but they are good shocks for someone who doesn't break anvil's with feathers! ;)

i beat the snot out of my cen shocks they held up rather nicely. like zudoo said the oil was a little lite for me.
8 was great for bashing 4 was great for raceing.
also never bent a shaft.

I think Mondragon even posted similar comparison pics bewteen the stocks and the CEN awhile back...

Please can you confirm if these will fit my savage without modifacations?? if so I will be buying a set (make that 2 sets) very soon...Looking at the photo it looks like they will fit straight on but I just want to make sure....

Please can you confirm if these will fit my savage without modifacations?? if so I will be buying a set (make that 2 sets) very soon...Looking at the photo it looks like they will fit straight on but I just want to make sure....

no modifications whatsoever required...you will lose a small amount of ride height is all...unless you make some sort of bracket to raise it back up slightly...but they will, in fact, bolt straight on...

Not sure if they will work w/ the x arms .. in fact I tired and it wouldn't .. The ball ends are too big to fit in the slots in the arms .. The .25 a arms don't have the "slot"

Not sure if they will work w/ the x arms .. in fact I tired and it wouldn't .. The ball ends are too big to fit in the slots in the arms .. The .25 a arms don't have the "slot"

I run then with the X style arms...but you are correct...the only mod needed is to take an exacto, and cut the thin, outer wall of the "slot"...and I also run them on my RPM arms as well...

I have rpm arms on the front and use the CEN ball end for that. For the stock X arms, like jester said, the CEN ball ends will not fit in the slot. So I just inserted a stock savage shock ball end in the cen shock rod end hole (it is not snug by any means, but it works great).

Nope .. Have yet to REALLY run them .. crossing fingers for today tho .. wish the shocks luck.. truck is charged up ready to rock .. need to find the time today

Little to no mod required, better than stock, and I am assuming fairly light in comparison to the LST shocks......hmmmm. I may have to look into these aswell. Are they aluminum bodied? forgive me for not doing my own homework on these.

No they are plastic bodys. The only issue I had with mine was if I ran the resevoir on the outside, if the shock gets hit hard enough from the side the shock cap will get cocked sideways and loose all the fluid. I turned them to the inside and all was well.

I had a chance to run this last weekend .. I bashed them really hard ... No problems at all .. Blazer you made a good piont .. I did loos some oil from 1 shock due to that problem

Good to know that. I will definitly keep that in mind if I get any piggybacks.

The more I hear about these shocks the more I am seriously considering them. Cheaper than LST or HPI big bores, less parts involved than the LSTs and actually available unlike the big bores.......Sounds like I might have just sold myself on them lol

Great to hear that they are working out for you SJ! How do you like them? did you stick to stock oils? I hear they come with 20w, I may be wrong, but I'd want a bit more, maybe 30-40wt? I like a moderate shock, not one that's loose as a goose persay.

So far so good ... I stuck w/ the stock oil .. w/ 8 shocks it does really good

Well, I'm going to try 4 of these just for fun...I just scored them for $20.50 shipped. It's hard not to try them at that price, especially since HPI is taking soooooooooo long to release the Big-Bores.

HA! beat ya...I think I got my last set of 8, plus a full kit of NIB spare shock parts, plus a bent complete shock for around $20-ish (it was awhile ago now though) :p

You Dawg ...lol good score bro .. Iam wanting another set of 4 just so I can have spares

Well, I'm going to try 4 of these just for fun...I just scored them for $20.50 shipped. It's hard not to try them at that price, especially since HPI is taking soooooooooo long to release the Big-Bores.

Let us know how the 4 works out. i really want to run the big bores but they are taking forever.

Latest posts

Members online

Back