Brand new to RC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonclifford

Hey I'm completely new. I wanted to pick this up years ago but never had the time..
A buddy of mine gave me a savage xl 5.9 big block and said here fix it up its yours.
Now my son is getting to the age he's going to want to play with one. He sees his cousins playing with there's all the time. And he's interested.

So I'm looking for help to do a walk through of a tare down and rebuild and get this truck going.

Can anyone help out?

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/hpi-savage-xl/

There are links to the manual in that area. best advice i can offer right now is take your time and follow the manuals directions.... clean it all and relube bearings, the XL already has most all the good stuff from the factory so just take your time and enjoy the build...
if you get stuck feel free to ask , the guys here are more than willing to help you outta any trouble you may find so update your thread as you go along....
I don't know what tools you have available to you but investing in a set of metric hex drivers is a good idea and a #2 phillips and a good flathead medium length for tuning would go a long way to help you with your rebuild

Last edited:
@Jonclifford,

Welcome to HPISF! As Jam has mentioned we have the HPI Savage XL manual and complete parts list which is a good starting point to learn about the truck and to complete a tear down. Being new to the hobby I would also suggest thinking about getting tools if you don't already have any as it will make your life much easier, here are some of the following I recommend for new people:

Not knowing the history of your Savage XL or the condition I would suggest buying a couple new glow plugs right off the bat. Who knows the condition of what's in there already. Jam also brings up a good point about the bearings and re-lubing them. If they feel gritty I'd simply replace them with a complete Savage XL bearing kit from either FastEddyBearings or BocaBearings - both offer great bearings for the Savage.

If you have any questions, just ask!

Hahaha this is awesome guys thanks. I'm looking through it all now. It's like it's never been cleaned. It's in rough shape. But let's see how much is just dirt lol. One thing I noticed was bottom of the carb guessing the started is busted....

Hahaha this is awesome guys thanks. I'm looking through it all now. It's like it's never been cleaned. It's in rough shape. But let's see how much is just dirt lol. One thing I noticed was bottom of the carb guessing the started is busted....

Any help you may need while doing your rebuild feel free to just ask, guys here are always willing to help a fellow RC addict...

Hey so I took the carb out. And took the little black box off to replace. And same with the rod I priced out today also. But before I ordered them plus the glow plugs I just wanted to ask if I should replace the battery pack also. I don't have a charger for it. So I'm thinking it be the best idea.

Thoughts?

Hey so I took the carb out. And took the little black box off to replace. And same with the rod I priced out today also. But before I ordered them plus the glow plugs I just wanted to ask if I should replace the battery pack also. I don't have a charger for it. So I'm thinking it be the best idea.

Thoughts?

Going to depend on what battery it is. Can you post pictures of it?

Latest posts

Members online

Back