Bent header?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregonmud

When I installed my new pipe I noticed a gap where the header meets the pipe. I figures I didnt get it seated to the rear of the engine properly and just dealt with it for the last couple races of the year.
But after assembling my engine again and getting it hooked up I see I'm having the same problem. It appears the header is too bent.
What is the best way to get this header bent out to where it should be? HB discontinued the pipe so they don't have a replacement to send me.
HELP!!!!:duh:

000_4571.jpg

well

measure the angel of the gap between the header and the pipe

lets say for example its 15degree

try to shave almost the same angel on the header tip that is attached to the engine, it will let the header bent out and then u can attach the header straight :)

let me know if u didnt get me

i don't recommend bending it using any method as it will change the flow shape and might decrease the power

maybe find someone on here with that header to lend ya so you can compare angles and what not.

I would just need a measurement from inside edge to inside edge. I don't know but either the header has been bent or every HB Savage pipe ever made didn't fit properly. I'm guessing mine is just bent.
But if anybody has pics of the Hot Bodies pipe like mine please post them up so I can compare.
If I change my gearing I can move the engine over and that will make it much better. But I shouldn't have to do that to make a Savage pipe fit a Savage.
I might try freezing it and prying on it a little and see what happens. I just don't want it to crack.

I have had this problem on numerous occasions and on different headers. I have always just very gently clamped one end in a vice (fitted with soft jaws), and then bent it buy hand. The material is pretty soft so it's quite easy to bend. Just take it easy, you don't need to bend it much. You may even be able to bend it back just with your hands.
Shame you don't live closer, I could do it for you then !
Good luck !

I found that sts headers were always tweaked a little to the inside like that. All I did was take two wooden spoons, stick the handles as far down the header on both sides and apply a bit of pressure. It dosn't take much and you can straighten it out no problem. Never had any issues after doing it this way either, good luck.

i have the HB pipe on my rig ill post a pic for ya wat are you comparing the end where the header meets the pipe?

All I did was take two wooden spoons, stick the handles as far down the header on both sides and apply a bit of pressure. It dosn't take much and you can straighten it out no problem.

An interesting tecnique there pure. Simple but affective. I'll have to remember that one ! :resp:

i had a rd lodgics one piece savage exhaust that was like that and i couldnt get it to work either.. weird!!!

All I did was take two wooden spoons, stick the handles as far down the header on both sides and apply a bit of pressure. It dosn't take much and you can straighten it out no problem. Never had any issues after doing it this way either, good luck.
I did this (but used 2 screw drivers) and it worked like a charm. Thanks a lot for all the help fellas!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back